Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: endangered species at Mokala
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:19 pm 

similiar to our situation...we were staying at TR and had to be at OR Tambo at 6 pm, no way I was gonna try this in one day, so the question was to either take the "usual" route and probably spend one night in vryburg or to do the detour and drive to Mokala for one night...we did the latter and were happy with that decision, although I neither saw black rhino nor roan nor sable, species I was really hoping to find because I had never seen before, at least not in ZA

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ice,

I heard from a friend that frequently visits the town of Plooysberg that there are also Lechwe's in the park. That will make Mokala the only NP with Lechwes in South Africa.

Just remember that the weather can be extremely; cold in the winter (~ minus 5/8 deg C) and very hot in the summer (Recording of 54 deg C by car thermometer.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:20 pm 

don't take it personal but I seriously doubt that; as I've mentioned before, I do have an official list in my hand, given to us at the reception and there is no lechwe on the list...plus I'm sure, if they had them the guide would have told me...I was the only guest on that particular night drive so it was more like a dialogue than the usual monologue...probably the most informative drive I've ever had

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ice,

I don't think it is unlikely but rather that the possibility can be 100 %. If its possible to hunt for Red Lechwe at Imbasa Safari game reserve that's close to Mokala (website very secretive about location as they a hunting safari, but Google Earth photos indicate to south of Mokala) surely these animals can move into the park and be found at Mokala. Lechwe is maybe not on the official list but definitely found near Kimberley

Google Imbasa Safari and Per Morberg that hunted a Lechwe last year near Mokala.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:49 pm 

the guide said that Mokala is totally fenced, to prevent just what you described

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ice,

I see you no longer doubt that Lechwes can be on the other side of the fence.

Antelope can easily clear a fence, but I do not want to argue. All I said that I got the info from a very reliable source. My source is a hunter who will be able to positively ID any antelope. He stayed in Plooysberg more than 20 years and knows the area very well.

This just means I need to prove myself by getting some pics. I am in for the challenge.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:36 pm 

why should I doubt that some stupid hunters put game on their farms that probably don't belong there? we have lechwe in German zoos as well and I know the former owners of Mokala had done the same with nyalas, waterbucks and blesbok

my initial question was to identify a fifth endangered species. The guide told me their names and I am extremely sure that the fifth one was not lechwe and I am just as sure that if they had lechwe in mokala, it would be on their list (the guide compiled it herself and seemed to be extremely serious about it) and I am also convinced she would have mentioned it to me in our conversation

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I saw the one and only lechwe (ewe) in Mokala during my last visit in January. The officials were very curios to find out where we saw her as they were trying to remove her from the park (it was very near to Mosu Lodge). She stayed behind when all other lechwe were removed after SANParks took over from Winterhoek Hunting Safaris. I also saw two waterbuck and some nyala that stayed behind. I saw the waterbuck and a nyala bull (with a broken horn) during my January visit too. During a prev ious day visit I saw two nyala ewes. By the way - nyala males are referred to as "bulls" and the females as "ewes".

The park does not have bontebok. As bontebok (Damaliscus dorcas) and blesbok (Damaliscus philipsi) can interbreed, they will not be kept in the same reserve. As a matter fact, blesbok is not allowed to be kept on farms in the southwestern Cape where bontebok once naturally occurred.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:14 pm 

that's what I said, if they have lechwe they will try to remove it because it is not indigenous in that area, just like nyalas, waterbucks and blesbok...according to Smithers' "Mammals of Southern Africa" red lechwe are only indigenous in the okavango delta...and because lechwe don't belong there, it won't be one of the species the park tries to protect

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Lechwe are water dependant and are adept at moving in shallowish water, so Mokala is dfefinitely not there they are found naturally.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:42 am 

Thanks Guys you have just saved me the trouble of going to Mokala. The whole reason I wanted to go was to see the Lechwe and try and photograph them as this was the only area that I knew they where in.

Now they have been removed. ohh well ,Have to go to Botswana now.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:33 am 

you should still, I really enjoyed it there, very mellow and laid back, very friendly staff

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Brown hyena & black rhino - that's enough reason for me......

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:51 pm 

you gotta be lucky to find them though, especially the former...afaik so far they have released only two animals...

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ice the only mammals you listed above that qualify for endangered status is the black rhino. The roan and sable are classified similar to the red lechwe as least concern, therefore not even rated as a low risk. According to the IUCN Red list the only mammal in Mokala that is critically endangered is the black rhino.

Lions and cheetah (I know its not found in Mokala) are far more vulnerable than most of the antelope found in our parks.

The endangered ones found in SANP are:
Black Rhino (found at Mokala)
African Wild dog
Golden Moles (Marleys, Van Zyl en Visagie)
Riverine Rabbit
Mountain Zebra (Hartman an Cape)

Maybe you can check on your list if any of the above are found at Mokala.

The vulture you listed is near threatened and also not classified as endangered.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next