Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elephant
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Video of the Year (2013)
It is very important for an Elephant to have a good looking for the lady,s so he must pedicure, flossing his teeth and massaging himself like this Elephant in the video. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:00 pm 

Elephants have a wonderful sense of humour and being highly intelligent they are naturally inquisitive.

In this picture this bull came out onto the road about 100 metres away just behind that smallish bush on the left. I love taking head on shots of Ellies approaching down a dirt road or game path ears flapping the flies away and with taht typical swagger.

This was on the S49 with the Mooiplaas windmill just behind me. The pillow was put on the side mirror and I waited for him to get in range and then zoomed out till he was filling the frame @ 70mm full frame non crop factor. Obviously you have the engine off as that annoys an elephant and with the engine running you get blurred pics. He was close but in line to pass the car on the right side verge.

But as the pic shows he started to come in towards the car. Time to slowly remove camera and pull in pillow and wind window up and sit tight. I have done this 100s of times over the years and they just pass. He stopped at my side front door frame and 1 tusk hovered 1 inch from the windscreen over the steering wheel and the other on the side window above my right shoulder. Time to knyp and purse the lips! :shock:

He then stepped back to get clear his tusk from the front of the windscreen and slowly proceeded to the back of the car where he waited then he tapped the back door area once and then twice..I figured 3rd time car would be hoisted onto its roof not in anger but to see if there were any tasty roots on the underneath. After all the car was making loud continious photo taking noises as he approached which aroused his interest. Sadly I had to spoil his fun as the insurance wouldnt have believed the story so started and drove up the road. I turne d around and there he was backing up the 2 cars that had stopped a way behind me watching his antics. He was having fun!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:08 pm 

This must be the most amazing Ellie. He walks that area every day down the roads and never gets aggressive. I have met him a few times, head on, and he is always well behaved, but he owns the road! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:35 pm 

Agreed Sprocky..there was no aggression on his side and no provocation from me. My car was just an object to be investigated...but I had already had 2 car claims earlier last year so when the tapping with the tusks started I thought caution should prevail this time.

I have other pictures of him while parked at the Mooiplaas resevoir watching the sunset and he came out of the mopani and across the open right next to me to have a drink..He didnt bat an eyelid and that was the next evening..I just cant locate those shots but I'll post when I find that series

Thanks so much for the heads up on that Mopani Area ellie :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:44 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Had some lovely sightings near Shingwedzi and Letaba in December

This bull was leaning against the tree in midday heat :D

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Post subject: elephant i.d.
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:15 pm 

hello all,

my s/o and i were up around orpen on sunday and at one stop we saw three bull elephants eating. because we were late for a picnic date with some family and because my s/o tends to be a bit skittish around elephants i just took what photos i could get and off we went.

when i got home and went through the photos i saw that this elephant had broken tusks and he had two askari with him. the thought of "could this be Duke" went through my head but i looked at some other photos on the forum of duke and i am just not 100% sure this is him.

if it is not him, does anyone have any info about this old boy?

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Post subject: Re: elephant i.d.
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:17 am 

thank you both for the comments. i kinda figured it wasn't duke but it would be nice to know if there is any information on this old fellow. not a big tusker for sure but he seems to have been around for a while if his tusks have broken and he has two attendants with him. his one attendant was getting up there in age as well.

flic.kr/p/9BSnUV

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:36 pm 
This pic by Debbie Noome, Letaba Bridge April, off the public sightings gallery... :shock:

Any ideas? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Playing or maybe just taking the load off. They look like youngsters.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
Elephants are my favourite wild animal and enjoy watching them when mud is around. Taken on the Sweni road in the May sunshine.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I just love Elephants and this is one of my favorite photos:

Taken on the Road to Pafuri picnic Spot in June of 2010:

IMG_0283 by Michael hattingh, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:33 pm 
Stunning pics!!! :clap:

Klopperfontein Sept. 2010:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:57 pm 

Hi All, The pictures of the elephant tipping the car into the bush was very interesting. Over the years I have had many encounters with elephants but I have learnt two things - don't get into their comfort zone (which is not always easy) and give yourself an escape route. Here is a different picture for you to share. I took it last November from the Olifants river high bridge.Image
I am not sure where the calf was when its mother was paddling through the water. bondm

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:19 pm 
Excellent and rare, Mr Bond! :clap:

Notice how the baby has to suckle with its mouth, and how the teats are situated between the front legs, just as with humans! Fascinating! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:38 pm 

Thanks for your comment Richprins. I liked your picture of the elephant at Klopperfontein dam - one of my favourite spots. Last Dec. we saw a large herd of the buffalo and the next day this elephant taking a shower - could be the same one you saw?

bondm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next