Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What is SANParks related and what not.
Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:41 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I have been thinking about this for 4 years and want to get some clarification from fellow forumites and Moderators. Let me give you a couple of examples.

During the first year on the forum, I posted something about a funny incident that took place on a reserve just outside Kruger. In no time flat, my post was removed. Non SANParks.

Last year, I posted something about a mine that intended to dump millions of litres of acid mine water into the Vaal river. In no time flat it was removed. Non SANParks. I then sent a pm to one of the Mods and I have received a reply, non SANParks. I replied that it I SANParks related because the Vaal flows into the Orange, which in turn flows through both Augrabies and Richtersveld, so any pollution of the Vaal will also affect the above 2 parks. I am still waiting for a reply from the Mod.

There are numerous other threads that is totally non SANParks related like, "Do you have pet" and "What is your home like" (I hope that is the correct title) I can carry on the whole day, but I will stick to the above. Now let me hasten to say that I have no objection against any of the above threads and I read almost all of them. I have never complained about any post even if it about the distribution status of the Tree Crocodile in Upper Mongolia.

How far do the Mods stretch the limits with regards to this?

Oh' just something else. I posted a reply about the eradication of trees at Table Mountain. Kaboof, in no time flat it was removed, although it was non offensive. Received a pm that the topic was very controversial and was locked. But a lot of posts were allowed after mine. :huh:

Post subject: Re: What is SANParks related and what not.
Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:47 pm 

Rooies wrote:

There are numerous other threads that is totally non SANParks related like, "Do you have pet" and "What is your home like" (I hope that is the correct title) I can carry on the whole day, but I will stick to the above. Now let me hasten to say that I have no objection against any of the above threads and I read almost all of them. I have never complained about any post even if it about the distribution status of the Tree Crocodile in Upper Mongolia.

Perhaps not all the clarification that you want but, regarding the above, please read Topics in Chit Chat , Rooies.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:43 pm 

Rooies wrote:
Hi Rooies

We really do try and be consistent in this regard. Can we invite you to please report topics/posts that you see as being off topic and stretching the boundaries too far? This will really help us.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:13 pm 

Agree with Rooies, some poster appear to get away with??

Now if I am not talking through my hat again, is Pafuri Camp a concession or is it SANParks as far as I was led to believe it is a joint venture. So who decides the criteria? because the other concessions
that aren't allowed to be mentioned are in essence joint ventures??? between SANParks and as is the luxury lodge in KTP.

NO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:34 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Having been on the "other side", and back again, I want to step in to this discussion.

We all need to realise that in life everything is not black and white. There are a lot of things which lies in the grey areas, and which needs to be judged at the moment. The moderators constantly need to walk the tight rope, and are always open to criticism. They need to act according to the wisdom they have at that moment, but within the broader guidelines which have been laid down.

Many topics are simply allowed because we are more than just a discussion forum. We are actually a community. But this also needs to be tempered, as it can easily cause problems. It is usually because of kindness on this level, that the mods later get hammered, and get accused of being inconsistent.

Also keep in mind the context of this Forum. It is a public face of SANParks. As such SANParks cannot allow this Forum to become a platform to attack outside parties. They are much more lenient on criticism directed at them. But controversial topics directed at outside issues will always be removed.

Lastly, I want to mention that people often level criticism that the mods are against them as a person. That is seldom if ever the case. Yes, the mods are very human, and there are some regular mites, which some mods may not like. But most often the mods act according to what is right in their view for that moment, without ever considering the person behind the post.

Again having been there, it is quite "amusing" when you did some generic moderating, just to be blind sided by some forumite who takes it personal. Give the mods some slack ... they are only trying their best. :wink:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:58 pm 

Bambazonke, you are quite correct - SANParks benefits from the concessions and they may be discussed here on these forums. The thinking around this was changed from what it was previously where the accommodation offered by concessions was not allowed to be discussed, only the game viewing around them. Sometime back it was decided to allow free discussion on the concessions.

To see which concessions may be discussed on these forums it is best to view the 'accommodation' page of each specific park on the website - the concessions are listed there.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:00 pm 

Thanks Imberbe :)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:54 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:

Oh' just something else. I posted a reply about the eradication of trees at Table Mountain. Kaboof, in no time flat it was removed, although it was non offensive. Received a pm that the topic was very controversial and was locked. But a lot of posts were allowed after mine. :huh:

Rooies , controversy is a no-no on the forum :naughty: I have also seen threads locked when it seems things may get a bit too close to the bone :whistle: .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:50 am 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
okie, sorry but that is not completely true. :wink:

The primary reason why threads are locked is because of rule breaking and the mods cannot be held responsible for that. Sometimes when a debate gets heated, it's better just allow a topic to take a breather.
The mods can't and don't tell members what their point of view should be. Please see the Hotel debate for a prime example. It's not a matter of what you say but how you say it which makes the difference.

The second reason is "when all has been said" which only happens after a proper debate has run it's course and the posts become repetitive and are no longer adding value to the topic.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:39 pm 
bambazonke wrote:
is Pafuri Camp a concession or is it SANParks as far as I was led to believe it is a joint venture. So who decides the criteria? because the other concessions
that aren't allowed to be mentioned are in essence joint ventures??? between SANParks and as is the luxury lodge in KTP.

Ja, bambazonke!

SANPARKS manages the ground on which the concessions stand, and they share Kruger's animals. So I guess pretty much SANPARKS related!

I couldn't find any links to the concessions on the Home page! :redface:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
@DinkyBird. My post was not confrontational and I don't want to complain about any posts, in fact I have never ever reported any off topic posts (except spams) But spare a thought for me here. It takes me 1/2 an hour to type 3 paragraphs with two fingers, only to get my post deleted in 1/2 a second, and when I enquire about the reasons for the deletion via a pm, I get no answer.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:47 pm 

Rooies, we do understand your position; and apologise sincerely that you were not replied to.

Something all mites must remember is they are perfectly entitled to take complaints about the mods to Nedret (SANParks).

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:59 pm 

Richprins wrote:
I couldn't find any links to the concessions on the Home page! :redface:

RP if you go to a specific park's page on the website (off the home page or top menu bar) and then to their accommodation options (listed under travel on the left menu bar) you should see the concessions, or a link to them.

Addo's accommodation page - scroll down to the link to Luxury Lodges which will take you to the concessions in Addo. (link)

Or you can look here: - Concession Lodges

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Jenb--The way I understand it , the point of this thread is " what is , and what is not Sanparks related .

I have seen threads locked because they were apparently deemed not to be Sanparks related . Let's illustrate /discuss with an example .

Something happens to a tourist just outside the gate of a Sanpark . Let's say he has been satying outside the park and for a whole week he is a daily visitor to the park . One day , while he is inside the park , someone enters his hotel and steals his possessions .
Now this becomes a news item , and lots of other tourists speak out about concerns - oops is it safe to visit ? I hope it does not happen to me :big_eyes: Should I visit , etc etc etc .
And the incident becomes athread on the forum . And the next moment , wham , bam , the thread is locked --- Not Sanparks related :naughty:

Are we so paranoic , that we cannot even discuss something like this :hmz: Come on :huh:

Is it Sanparks related :hmz: Well , the incident did not happen inside a park , but IMHO , certainly it is realted . That tourist visited a Sanpark , and he will go home and tell his friends and everyone he knows , that while he was visiting a Sanpark , he was robbed . His friends do not know he was outside at the time , all they know he was visiting the specific park .
So what's wrong with discussing it on the forum , and by doing that , allay the fears to all those who do not know better .
But hey , we are afraid it may damage our image or something , so rather lets lock the thread ---- Camp Staaldraad style :rtm:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:57 pm 
Aha! Thanks, DB! :thumbs_up:

Okie...it's very difficult, and I wouldn't want to be a Mod! :twisted:

I think they do a fine job on the forums, myself... :wink: