Marakele: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

Sparks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Marakele: ADVICE

Unread postby Sparks » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:52 am

In the camps there are braais available and you can get wood at the gate. Picnic areas are different from Kruger and have no shops or full time attendants. It is an area that you could relax and braai on a normal fire but no gas at any of the spots in Marakele.

At present the camp at bontle is so close to the picnic spot that most folks just go back to camp for the braai as it overlooks the waterhole and is a nice backdrop to a pleasant lunch.
Adventure is out there. Go find it

Cassius
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Cassius » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:14 am

Hi

Please find the attacehd information below on Marakele National Park

The Marakele National Park; in the south western section of the waterberg mountains has, a its Tswana name suggest, become a “place of sanctuary” for an impressive variety of wildlife; this is due to its location in the transitional zone between the dry western and moister eastern regions of South Africa. The park is characterized by contrasting majestic mountain landscapes, grass-clads hills and deep valleys.

Marakele is one of the younger national parks in South Africa having been initiated in 1986 when the state purchase a nucleus of five farms totaling about 15000 ha

The park was initially proclaimed in 1994 as the Kransberg National Park and from this core area, Marakele National Park has grown in extent to the current proclaimed area of some 90 000 ha and is still in a phase of considerable expansion. Land purchase has been made by the state, the national parks board trust fund and through private donations.

ACCOMODATION IN THE PARK

TLOPI TENTED CAMP

With furnished tented units overlooking the banks of the Apiesrivierpoort Dam. Each tent has two beds (Two Stretchers are available which are more suitable fro children), private bathroom (Shower wash basin and toilet) and a fully equipped kitchen with a refrigerator/ Freezer, two –plate stove and electricity. Each tent has a veranda with table and deck chairs and barbecue facilities.

BONTLE CAMPING SITE

38 Campsite with power points, arranged into 3 clusters with one communal ablution block per cluster.

All the parts of the park are accessible with all types of vehicle tyres. Marakele Accommodation caters for variety of guest requirements.

Tourism Attractions

The Park also has an abundance of Irion- age sites that will be made accessible to visitors in the future

ACTIVITIES

• Bird watching and game viewing
• Mountain pass up to an incredible view and proximity to the vulture colony
• Night drives
• Guided walks

Special Features

A narrow tar road takes visitors up to the top of the waterberg massif. The view and scenery are spectacular.

FACILITIES

In an to keep the park’s ecosystem as undisturbed as possible most facilities are located outside the park in the adjacent town of Thabazimbi

IN THE PARK

Roads: the access road to the park is tarred, while certain internal roads are gravel. The tented camp and surrounding areas are accessible by all vehicles
Electricity: The tented camp and camping site are supplied with electricity.
SANParks
Regional Communications Officer

louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby louis dreyer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 am

Just a bit more info about Marakele.
As far i know it's the only sanpark with marked disabled camping sites.

Thanks
Keep them YR's flying

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

nmichalis

Unread postby nmichalis » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:00 am

@ Cassius

You mentioned nighdrives also. Are they really taking place in Marakele? Because they are not mentioned on the homepage ("activities")...

Do you have any further infomation for the night drives? Time/departing from... Can you take place when staying at Tlopi Camp?
Is it possible to register for a night drive before travelling so South Africa?

Thank you very much,
Niko

JustJuice

Unread postby JustJuice » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi,

I saw under Activities and Facililties for Marakele the following: 'Two nights Hiking Trail opening soon"

Can anyone please give me more information about the Trail and when can bookings for it be made.

Thank you,
JJ
JJ

outdoorsjunkie

Unread postby outdoorsjunkie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on the best way to travel to Marakele from Joburg (Rosebank) this weekend. Previous postings have indicated that it's better to go via Warmbaths than Brits, is this still the case? Would appreciate any advice. Not travelling in a 4x4. Thanks!

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Pjw » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:50 pm

We were there last weekend Do not use the R511 past Diepsloot. The road is a mess. The Malibogwe route route to Brits is fine, but for about 30km past Brits the road is full of LARGE potholes. Once you go into Limpopo province the road improves again. I have not used the Warm Baths Bella Bella route for a long time so cannot comment on it. The road in the park once you go through the tunnel has been damaged by rain, but is passable in a normal sedan if you go carefully. Travel safely and enjoy :)
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

stephan groen

Unread postby stephan groen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:56 am

Just returned from a memorable weekend.

A few tips:

The road from Brits to Thabazimbi (R511) is drivable. There is a stretch of about 30km where you just need to take it slow. But the huge potholes have been filled with cement so they are not deep and there are no tyre bursting sharp edges.

The road in the park from the subway up the hill to Tlopi is not good. You will manage with a sedan but the going will need to be slow.

The facilities at Bontle are prestine and we will be back.

Take it slow and you WILL mark a new bird off your list.

What a place!
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars."

13-16 June: Mopani

19-21 Sept: Mata Mata
22-23 Sept: Nossob
24-26 Sept: Twee Rivieren

Flavia

Unread postby Flavia » Fri May 31, 2013 2:20 pm

I read all 22 pages of this Marakele topic, I’ll be there next August. I still have some questions:
1) How long is (in km and in approx time) the road to the viewpoint at the top of the mountain? Is it so difficult/dangerous to drive?
2) How is roads condition for sedan vehicle in August? I hope not too bad because it’s dry season.
3) Could you enter in Bontle camping to look at the waterhole if you aren’t an overnight visitor (we’ll sleep at Tlopi)?
4) We’ll arrive in Marakele coming from Pilanesberg, how is the road from Pilanesberg to Thamazimbi?
Thanks in advance.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Fri May 31, 2013 5:08 pm

I can try to answer your first two questions. I visited Marakele in April 2012 and was driving a VW Polo. I found portions (not many) of the roads quite 'challenging', because of potholes, deep ruts and big rocks, but not impassable. You just need to be careful.

As for the roadway up to the mountain viewpoint (you must also drive up to the viewpoint over Tlopi!), I didn't find it difficult or dangerous to drive at all. However, I don't suffer from vertigo :D -- there are places where it is narrow and has sharp curves, but if you take it slowly and carefully, you will be fine. I really did wonder what all the fuss was about! :roll:

Have a great trip!
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PNF » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:16 am

Hi Flavia

From Pilansberg take the R510 to Northam; turn right at the sign for Brits (this road has no number) continue for about 20kms to T-junction with R511, turn left to Thabazimbi. When you reach Thabazimbi, continue straight through town (do not take Lephalale turn-off) and you will be on the Alma road. After about 10kms Marakele reception is on your left. It is tar all the way and currently very few potholes.
Enjoy!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Us and The Ant:
Shingwedzi 20 - 24 Aug
Tsendze 24 Aug - 5 Sept

Flavia

Unread postby Flavia » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:05 pm

arks wrote:As for the roadway up to the mountain viewpoint (you must also drive up to the viewpoint over Tlopi!)

Does it mean that there are two different viewpoints?

Luckily no problems about vertigo for both of us, but we're a bit scared to drive in a very narrow and very steep road with many sharp curves. If we meet someone else coming in the other direction it could be difficult to manage it. It's not something common in my daily city life!

Thanks to both of you for reply.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:25 pm

What's usually referred to as 'the viewpoint', with the steep roadway, is what overlooks the area where you can see Cape vultures. The carpark there and surrounding area is excellent for all sorts of birds. And I really did not find the road difficult, tho it might be moreso if the park is crowded.

There is also a road that leads up to a view over Tlopi camp. The maps on this wesite are not very good, but the park map that you will recieve at the gate has all the details about the park's roads. Don't know why that map isn't included here on the website! :roll:
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

Flavia

Unread postby Flavia » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks again Arks.

Can someone inform me if I can enter in Bontle camping to look at the waterhole although we'll not be overnight visitors (we’ll sleep at Tlopi)?

wiedmann

Unread postby wiedmann » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi Flavia,

yes you can enter the Bontle campsite because there's no entrance check.

I myself found parts of the roads inside the park very challenging for sedan car, but we've seen some on the way to Tlopi camp.
The way from Tlopi camp to the mountain top is narrow, steep in part but easy to drive with sedan cars.

P.S.
we've been there March 2013

Regards
Juergen

Return to “Northern Parks”