Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Entering at Mata Mata. Can I exit from TR?
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:28 pm 

Thanks for that. Probably not strictly KTP material but any comments or guidance on the road down to Andreisvale? I see it runs by the Nossob. Then as we turn west is there any potential in the Pans marked on my map? We are in no hurry as we only have to get to Keetmanshoop that evening.
Would hate to miss out on anything worthwhile.

Post subject: Re: Namibian Border Crossing
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:25 pm 

I have been reading this topic all over but still have a few questions.
We are planning to go to Namibia in august and crossing the border from the road from Upington. We are staying in Karasburg because of the distance. Since we are not that far from Mata Mata we want to visit the park also. And stay there for three nights (already made the reservation) we want to enter the park through Mata Mata gate. Is that possible? Or do we have to go back to Twee Rivieren (hopefully not) And if so do we need to go through South African customs at Mata Mata again? Ofcourse after the three nights we are leaving through the same gate at Mata Mata.
After our trip to Namibia we will go back to South Africa, drive to Johannesburg and fly home. So we will rent a car in South Africa. Do we still need to get special permission to go to Namibia?
Thanks guys.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:31 am 
Guru
Guru

@Bart47,

You will be able to enter the KTP through Mata-Mata. When you enter or exit the park you will have report to customs at either Mata-Mata or Twee Rivieren (In your case Mata-Mata is fine).
When renting a vehicle you will just have to clear it up with the rental company that you are going to cross international borders as you will have to provide a letter of authorisation to customs that you can take the rental vehicle over the border.

Hope it helps

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:46 am 

This surely helps.
I also saw this on the infopage of the park
Access to the Park can be gained through five gates in three different countries! From South Africa access is through the Twee Rivieren gate, from Namibia through the Mata-Mata gate and from Botswana through the Two Rivers, Mabuasehube and Kaa gates. Passports are not required for entry, unless departure is planned through a different gate into another country
I still have to report to customs but don't need a passport, of course after our stay we will depart from Matamata again.
The authorisation letter i didn't know that is a very good tip

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:32 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bart47,

You will require a passport to enter Namibia from SA and then again to enter the park from Namibia to SA. KTP is a transfrontier park between Botswana and South-Africa and not Namibia. The rule of no passport only applies if you enter and leave through the same country and if you a citizen of that country. A South-African will require a passport for Mabua gate if he/she is going to enter through that gate and a Botswana citizen will require a passport to enter/exit at Twee Riveren (SA) gate even if he/she did enter on the Botswana side. The rule only applies if you stay within the park borders and very logically if you leave the park into another country you will need a passport. Otherwise the park can becomes an easy throughway for all between Botswana, South-Africa and Namibia.

The only one thats not so clear to me is if you enter and exit at Twee riveren (SA gate), but overnight in Botswana camps, e.g. Rooiputs, do you need a passport. I will rather avoid any problems and get a passport when ever I am entering another country even if the route seems to be very easy.

Post subject: Restrictions entering KTP at Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:59 am 

We are planning a trip to Namibia in May returning to SA through Mata Mata and a 6 night stay in KTP.
What are the restrictions leaving Namibia and entering KTP with respect to food (meat etc.) and beverages ( the alcoholic kind)if any, because we will have to stock up in Namibia for the 6 nights at camps which have no shops? Also if someone could advise on a reasonably priced B&B type of establishment as a last stop close to Mata Mata on the way in?

Post subject: Re: Restrictions entering KTP at Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:49 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Could you please reply by pm? On the accomodation question
Thank you....we don't want to advertise for NON SANParks accommodation.

Post subject: Re: Restrictions entering KTP at Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Animated,

We've done a Namibian tour last year, but exit into Namibia at Mata-Mata. There were restrictions on meat, mealie meal and fire wood.

The rules around meat change from time to time depending on disease out break such as foot and mouth. Some info say you can take in 25 kg of red meat but not pork, but can not say it is still valid.

The restriction on alcohol is less around 2 liter of wine.

Just remember that there are numerous road blocks in Namibia where you not allowed to take meat through if you venture north of Windhoek. PM me your route and I can maybe help with some advice.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:22 am 
Guru
Guru

I have just spoken to Twee Rivieren Immigration and was informed that if you exit at the same gate you have entered then you would not need a passport even if you will overnight in one of the Botswana camps.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Botswana custom fees are something like P190. In the case of Rooiputs I also do not see the need for a passport through customs. The same rules apply when you visit any other Botsawa section like the Mabuasehube area of the Kaa/Swartpan area.

Only reason why I always do the customs thing at the gate where I entre is to have to option of exiting anywhere else. Also remember that Kaa Gate and Mabuasehube is between 500 and 600km from Twee Rivieren and the quickest way for medical evacuation may be through another gate. That peace of mind make me pay the P190 with a smile. (At least Botswana get some money for the time you spend in their side of the park other than the camping fee.)

Fortunately the Botswana immigration staff is always friendly and supporting. (cannot say the same of Namibia and South Africa though)

Unread postPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:48 am 

Hi we are planning a long holiday for next year.
Augrabies and up to Namibia Fish River Canyon ,Souusvlei, Etosha..and then south to Mata Mata can we spend time in the park and exit Twee Rivieren? on the way home?
Regards
JaniceE

Balule 3 days
Satara 7 days
Lower Sabie 7 days
Skukuza 3 days
Berg en dal 3 days

Unread postPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Yes you can, but need to spend 2 nights in KTP.
Sounds great -- enjoy.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:24 am 

I'm planning my holiday for this summer (winter in SA). We start in Cape Town and will get our visa at the airport overthere. Then we drive trough Namibia en I would like to visit the Kgalagadi park via Mata Mata and then exit via Twee Rivieren and stay in SA. Is that possible? And do we have to stay for two nights in the park then?

Thx for your answer!
Marlies

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:46 am 

Wellcome to the forum Marlieswillemen! :D

As long as you stay two nights in the KTP everything is fine - you can exit at TR. The rational behind the 2 day requirement is to prevent the KTP from being used as a "highway" between Namibia and RSA as was the case in the past.

Is it going to be your first visit to RSA/Namibia?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:46 am 
Guru
Guru

@ RolfB, marlieswillemen

Welcome to the forum I hope you will have a great time here.

RolF, thanks for the answers I appreciate it, we cant always be on the forum and then need you guys to assist.

Thanks

KG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next