Skip to Content

Overnight Hides

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
Kwagga 1

Re: Staying in a hide

Unread postby Kwagga 1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Hallo RondaGreen.
Yes they do provide bedding and a picknick backet with cutlery in side for the night. And the hide do have a door and wooden panels to close up for the night. You have a braai area (boma) with a table and chairs. You get your keys at your nerest camp where you book in for the night.
Enjouy your stay.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:56 pm

Just took the liberty and phoned on your behalf and was told that bedding and cutlery is still available as previously was the case each of the 3 occasions I have overnighted there . These are on loan to you once a deposit of R200 has been paid - did not enquire if the deposit is required per booking or per person .
An electric lantern and a 20 litre jerry can for water is available for use .
Last edited by ndloti on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hugh » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:53 pm

You will hear all the usual night orchestra of frogs, maybe hear a night jar and you will hear the hippos, very very noisy at times.
Depends what else is in the area.. A fish eagle A hyena, maybe the roar of a lion.. Ellies coming for a swim.. Oh its going to be so exciting ... do enjoy!
God couldn't be everywhere so he made Grandmas

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Overnight stay in bird hides

Unread postby ndloti » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:48 am

michel367 wrote:Shipandane is the best.
Away from everything and everyone. Secluded and small. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

I agree that Shipandane is the better of the 2 .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:49 am

AstroMatt wrote:Hi,
My girlfriend and i are taking out first trip to Kruger at the end of May, we've been lucky enough to book a night at Shipandane. We were wondering what there is there to keep the mozzies out. Are there mozzie nets over the beds? Also what kind of time would you suggest arriving so that you can set up everything for the evening.

Looking forward to an amazing night from everything i've read.

Use Tabard insect repellant - it helps . But end May should not be too much of a problem .
You are only allowed to "take up residence " after 5 o'clock or so .
Not much activity there but the resident hippos come out at night to graze , etc .
Enjoy !
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Elsa

Re: Staying overnight at the Hides

Unread postby Elsa » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:14 pm

You check in at Mopani Camp for the Shipandani Hide and Phalaborwa gate for the Sable Hide where you will be given the keys and all the bedding etc for the night.

I think these 2 hides are really the only ones big enough and having the facilities to enable over nighting in.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Sprocky

Unread postby Sprocky » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:09 pm

michel367 wrote:Just a flash-light and a couple of beers and a bottle of Klippies and Coke will do. :thumbs_up:

Interesting???? :hmz:

There are now signs at both sleep over hides stating that no alcohol is allowed on these premises.

Will they now take the signs down at night as it becomes somebodies accommodation and you are allowed to consume alcohol in the privacy of your accommodation. :rtm: What now, another problem area??? :huh:

threedogs
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

availability pages working?

Unread postby threedogs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:18 am

I am trying to check the availability for Sable Dam Hide and get a server error for the availability pages.
Mods can you look into it or is this function not usually accessible for the hides?
NO TO TRADE IN RHINO HORN!

DinkyBird

Re: availability pages working?

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:25 am

Hi threedogs
Bookings

Booking for this accommodation can only be done via telephone, fax, e-mail or in person.

One cannot book the hide over the internet.

I see you live 'down under' - PM me the dates you wish to know if the hide is available, and I will call and find out for you.
Sawubona
Dalene

Bremer

Re: availability pages working?

Unread postby Bremer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:35 am

Good Morning,

The Shipandani & Sable hides both have restrictions in terms of the number of nights that guests are allowed to book consecutively.
Unfortunately allowing these units to be booked from the website would cause it to be booked for any number of nights which can not be allowed and until the web booking system is able to manage this for us, the hides can only be booked using any of our alternative booking methods. http://www.sanparks.org/tourism/reservations/

Seasons Greetings
BREMER TOERIEN
South African National Parks

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Overnight Hides

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:03 pm

normana53 wrote:We just emailed in our reservation for Shipandani on 6 November.
Does Mopani still have bedding available for our use?

Mattresses are kept in the cupboard at the hide.
Bedding and cutlery box is available at Mopani Reception on payment of a deposit.
Each bedding bag consists of a duvet, pillow, duvet cover, sheet, mattress protector and pillowcase.
:thumbs_up:
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

threedogs
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby threedogs » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:53 pm

We stayed at the hide about a week ago.
Bedding is available from Mopani - a staff member will deliver it to the hide late in the afternoon.
Pack it up and leave there and they will collect again next day.
R300 deposit is for the key to the hide apparently.
Note that the padlock to the braai area is very difficult to unlock and takes quite a bit of 'fiddling' to get it to open!
There is no hand basin at the toilet so bring some wet wipes for hands.
NO TO TRADE IN RHINO HORN!

wachinda

Unread postby wachinda » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:10 am

Some of our best nights in Kruger were in sable hide. Sadly no hide for our upcoming trip . Wish there were more overnight hides especially higher up north
Berg-en-dal 18 October 2013
Satara 19-21 October 2013
Olifants 21-22 October
Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Frizzle

Unread postby Frizzle » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Practical question: while staying at the hide in Shipandani, can staff at Mopani store your fozen meat etc until you're back at the main camp?
April 2015: Garden route, Addo and Karoo

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Frizzle, I can't assist with your question, but have asked Stephens to try and find out for you. He might take a day or two to reply as he could be out of office with SANParks week.
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”