Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:26 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I always believed that the musth period is in april :?:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:40 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Musth is a period among adult male elephants, (over 15-20 years old) sometimes referred to as similar to male deer's "Rot".
(Musth is a word of Persian origin and is translated in the languages of Northern India by "condition of poisoning". The word musth is used to describe an abnormal behaviour or the behaviour of a drunk, whether human being or elephant.)
There is a three weeks pre-musth-condition, about one month high-musth, and one post-musth condition. Their temporal glands become swollen, from where a strong smelling fluid, rich of testosterone, runs down on their cheeks. During musth the males are very aggressive, and sexual active. According to Cynthia Moss, author of the book elephant memories, the older females in a heard gives passage to musth males when a female is in heat, while they block the way for younger males, not in musth. But males are always able to cover a female, also outside the musth period.

The reason for the musth seems to be that it prevents inbreeding. If the bulls would not be at their aggressive peak only for a month a year, only the largest, most dominant bull would cover the females all the time. In captivity, the limited space makes it dangerous to let a bull in musth condition to a female, since she may be attacked and wounded if she is not willing to mate.

Elephant males are able to reproduce from around their eighteenth birthday. However, it would be an extremely unusual event for a bull younger than 30 to mate with a female at the height of her oestrus. At all times there would be at least one large adult musth male with the herd about who would displace any young pretenders. In fact, older bulls that are in musth actually suppress the musth cycle of less dominant younger bulls to the extent that they will fall out of musth a few days. This results in a stable hierarchy of bull elephants, with the older more experienced bulls coming into musth for a full period of three to five months a year, and less dominant bulls being in musth for relatively shorter periods. The most subordinate bulls would be those that have just left the breeding herd, and those will not come into musth at all. Joyce Poole found that Amboseli bulls only enter a sustained period of musth at about 30. Up until then, although they will start musth, and will show a lot of the symptoms, younger bulls will not achieve full musth. A consequence of this hierarchy is that when a bull does actually enter musth he has the experience to cope with the circumstance of being cock-full of testosterone in the presence of a group of receptive females, and in a bunch of like-minded guys. The goal of introducing Kruger elephants to Pilanesberg (and now Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Park) was to establish such a bull hierarchy. This would prevent young males from entering sustained musth until they could manage it.

Thanks Google!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:43 am 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
bert wrote:
I always believed that the musth period is in april :?:

Now you tell me :roll: (Will take that blanket and make like a lump in the road then) :shock:
Although from earlier reports it can be anytime of the year.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:46 pm 

Hello everybody,

Do you know if there are often accidents due to collision/charge of ellie or rhino in Kruger ?

or when people have the bad idea to get out of their car ?

Alya
(KNP 20-27 May06 :dance: )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:14 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Getting cold feet? :lol:

Thus far it seems to be going good, you would have seen it on the forum if someone had "a bad experience" with an ellie in the Parks.

Just give them the space they want, and keep an eye out for young ones, or bulls in musht, and you should be okay.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: One foot in the car, the other still in the office!
The musth period is not in April - it is at a different time for each elephant - like most hormonal cycles in mammals. Alya000 there are not often accidents because of elephants but cars do get attacked from time to time. This happens when people ignore the warning signs! Don't push your luck and you will be fine. If you have to turn you car around and go a different way then do it. It all adds to the fun or the trip :whistle: Anything can happen to anyone who is stupid enought to get out of there car - but all animals are wild and therefore dangerous not just elephants. Don't worry about things such as these too much either - I have been to the KNP approx 150 times and been charged and hassled often enough but I am still here - be cool!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:42 am 

nunu wrote:
I have been to the KNP approx 150 times and been charged and hassled often enough but I am still here - be cool!

:mrgreen:
The 150 times. Not the charging bit :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:) Hi Bert
Some of us were just born lucky - I had my first visit whilst still in Mom's tummy - my folks both love the KNP so we went at least 5 times a year (and seldom went anywhere else but hey whose complaining). Wish I could still do that but now I live too far and I have to work... :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:28 pm 

nunu wrote:
:) Hi Bert
Some of us were just born lucky - I had my first visit whilst still in Mom's tummy -

8)
But if i were you i would subtract 5 visits
You couldnt see much or hear. Doesnt count :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:29 pm 

Hello again dear forumers,
As nunu says "cars do get attacked from time to time"
I didn't found an answer about statistics of incident...but I read only today this article on SaNPark's Latest news :
Elephant Overturns Tourst Vehicle in the Kruger National Park
Date: 2006-04-11

http://www.sanparks.org/about/news/default.php?id=168

It's maybe good to check the car before :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:08 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
The most famous elephant overturning car story has got to be the Kanniedood dam ele. He simply enjoyed moving dirty cars through his car wash, being the Kanniedood dam itself.

A few years ago an ele overturned a jeep jockey's vehicle with a couple of tourists in it still and then trampled the trailer to "death". It walked off, cross paths with a bull buff and made short work of the bovine bullybeef.

One female tourist broke her arm in the incidence and the driver was found way later after he ran off into the veld.

What's really nice bout incidents like these is that you automatically win yourself 2 holes in your door for easy access to take your Macdonalds take aways and small change. A tusk have no problem penetrating the metal and if you are really lucky you will not end up "dumb man en-brochette" whilst listening to the midday radio Jacaranda news.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:funny:
I enjoyed this post WTM
Apparently that same elephant has now opened a panel beating firm on the top end of the Kanniedood called Loxadonta's Chop Shop.

Hi Alya

What camps are you planning to stay at and have you ever been to the bush/on a safari before?

(Okay Bert I'll subtract 5 visits if it makes you feel better 8) )

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:52 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
nunu wrote:
:funny:
I enjoyed this post WTM
Apparently that same elephant has now opened a panel beating firm on the top end of the Kanniedood called Loxadonta's Chop Shop.

:lol: :lol:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:15 am 

Hi nunu,

We were 3 times in Kruger, Kgalagadi last year, Addo, Hluluwe/Umfolozi and some others small parks in the ten past years.
We have planed to stay in May 2 nts Skukuza, 2 Lower Sabie Tents, 1 Satara, 2 Olifants. (Then a small stay in Tsukudu Rehab.center).
We really enjoy to drive by ourself in the park. Some fear but always desire to come back ! We love that.
Bye

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Alya

I always say that if elephants bother you then dont stay at Letaba and north of that. The ellies in the south seem a lot more "tame" or placid. There are also much fewer elephants down south and some of the theory is that the overcrowding of ellies in the north is what is causing some of the aggression. Therefore you should go and enjoy your stay and not be overly concerned about being chased by elephants - I think that its unlikely to happen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next