Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Camping Equipment Owned By Serious Outdoor Wildlife Lovers
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My Zero 3 way works perfectly on gas , this was taken somewhere where there is no electricity .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I like your setup Ndloti.
Does your fridge/freezer ever get caught in the sun? I see you don't have any side panels on your gazebo and was wondering what the affect this may have.

Post subject: Re: Camping hints and tips
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:23 pm 

Hi All

We going to be camping for the 1st time (have always stayed in chalets) over Easter at MZNP. It can get quite cold at night there. Can electric blankets be used with air mattresses or is this not a good idea?

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bartman wrote:
Hi All

We going to be camping for the 1st time (have always stayed in chalets) over Easter at MZNP. It can get quite cold at night there. Can electric blankets be used with air mattresses or is this not a good idea?

Bartman, I'm not sure if I'd try that with mine. What you should do is put a (regular) blanket on top of the air mattress, instead of sleeping on the mattress directly. Air mattresses have very little insulation. You could also put something under the mattress to insulate it from the ground.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bartman,

We use a thermal blanket (the thin one that looks like tinfoil) as insulation and protection under the air mattress. It keeps the cold at bay and also protects your mattress against sharp objects. It is not bulky and take up very little packing space. You can buy a thermal blanket from any reputable camping store

Happy camping :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

H.E, try one of these. I swear by 'em (though I use a queen size Intex inflatable for stays longer than 2-3 nights)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hehe. I own 2 of the Ultra Lites (R599). Use 'em on short camping trips and for hiking.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

mizzbee, I was very sceptical before I tried one. I liked them so much I bought two. I will never sleep on a blue foam mat again. The self-inflating mats are far more comfortable, the foam (and air) is much much stiffer. Ones hips don't touch the ground.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:11 am 

Camping fridges works well. I got a Zero 3 way works well on gas, 12 volt and 220. national luna 40 liter weekend fride 12 volt 24 volt and 220. It last 3-4 days on a 75 amp deepcycle battery. vehicle is fitted with duel battery system and used it for 3 weeks to richtersveld and namibie. never failed me. :lol: :D

Camping with a off road trailer and caravan. Depending where We want to camp. use 12 volt lights running from battery if we need light. A camp fire is a must at night. Hard wood fire is the best. To start fire I ise old tee bags that I put in a bottel with parrafien. put 3-5 bags out of the bottel and your fire is lite.

Happy camping.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Am I the only one who has bad luck with the Intex inflateble matressess ?

Pumba and temoune : A good idea of old teabags soaked in parrafin for firelighting .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ndloti, I've had to patch mine twice in the last year. Fortunately its easy enough to patch and the patches work well. The hardest part is finding the hole in a (sometimes dark) tent.

I've considered the tea bag and parafin idea before, but it poses some problems with transport etc. I'm not too keen on driving around with a glass jar full of parafin.

I've also had the thought of using a pumice stone soaked in parafin, like those fire stones you can buy. What's stopped me is the hassle of having to remember to fish it out the fire afterward.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:48 am 

if you dont want 2to trafel with a glass bottek take the old tea bags with. Soak for 5min in parafine and use it all at once 3-5 bags at a time. You use parafine for the lamp so just take the teabags along. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If the wood is hard and large , a small amount of kindling with a small amount of charcoal (not compressed biquette type) makes a good start to a wood fire .

Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Storm Straps: We camped at Wilderness over the Easter weekend and the weather was fab .... though many campers were using storm straps. Then we moved onto Storms River, however this time we were staying in cabins, but just about everyone that was camping, be it caravan or tent had storm straps and they were needed. We did however see one or two gazebo casualties.
Point is, rather safe than sorry - invest in one or two for your kit, you never know when you might need one. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have purchased a “Fire Rod” to light my fire while camping and at home. It’s easy to use and doesn’t smell like paraffin fire-lighters do.

The purchase price was approximately R140. For me it is cheaper to use than fire-lighters because I like to use a whole packet of fire-lighters per fire. I have a three pound (1.3 Kg) gas cylinder and was able to light-up six fires before the cylinder was empty. One kg of gas cost approximately R19 and to fill-up this cylinder was approximately R25...In other words I used R25 to light six fires whereas six packets of fire-lighters would have set me back by approximately R80 or so!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next