Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Game Ranger in Your Backpack
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:45 pm 

This book covers the geology, flora and fauna of the Lowveld, but it is much more than simply another field guide to the Kruger National Park and its surrounds.

The author, Megan Emmett, is both a guide and, from the point of the book, more importantly, an instructor of other guides. Illustrated with photographs by Sean Pattrick, this is a textbook for aspirant field guides. This makes it very useful for everyone. It is also written in a manner which makes it accessible to those who lack formal tertiary education.

The section on mammals is divided into The Big Five, Common Mammals, Predators and Small Nocturnal Mammals. Each has got statistics of the animal together with some interesting information.

The section on birds deals with bird song, colour, hygiene, feeding, breeding, nests, and the relationships of birds with one another and to other animals.

Reptiles and amphibians get their own section, as do insects and other invertebrates. Thereafter the book deals with trees, grasses and wildflowers, ending with a section on tracking and the index and referencing.

The book is a softcover which opens fully which means it is user friendly. It can be consulted and left open on an empty seat or the dashboard of a vehicle. It is sufficiently informative to be useful but sufficiently compact to be portable. The pages are colour coded which makes finding information even easier once one has mastered the layout of the book.

If one is only going to take one book out in the vehicle when one heads out of camp, this is strong candidate, especially for keen but less experienced naturalists. It is certainly a useful resource for enthusiasts who wish to know more and is particularly worthwhile for those studying towards lower level accreditation as field guides.

Title: Game Ranger in Your Backpack
Sub-title: All-in-one interpretive guide to the Lowveld
Author: Megan Emmett
Photographer: Sean Pattrick
Publishers: Briza Publications
Year: 2009
Recommended Selling Price: Unknown
ISBN: 978-1-920217-06-8

Post subject: Re: Game Ranger in Your Backpack
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:03 pm 

Thanks for this info Moira. Will forsure look for the book. Could be handy.

Perhaps in July 2012

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:49 pm 

I have found the recommended selling price - R295.

Good value for that.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was quite impressed when I first saw this book at the book shop. I came close to buying it but decided not to since I've got all the info in other guides I already own.

I think its a reasonable guide on 'everything'

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Considering last year's first visit to KNP in May, I left with a lot of questions related to what we have encountered i.e. cheetah with 6 cubs, kingfisher's behaviour at Lake Panic, other bird behaviours such as hornbills and dungbeatles etc.

When this book was featured on 50/50 a week ago, I immediately bought myself a copy and till today, I just cannot put it down even watching soccer with one eye and the other eye in the book. It gives me insight into so many finer detail . I am studying this book in preparation for our schedued trip to KNP in mid - end Sep'10. This is an excellent publication (that is if you do not have others) and will recommend. The life in KNP will be a lot different next time as I will understand the behaviour of all the animals and this is critical for anyone that want to take beautiful pictures as one of the golden rules is that when you have studies your topic, you will be better equipped to know what to expect and get yourself in best possible situation to take that one in a lifetime photo. Great stuff.

ps. Look out for my yelow and red ribbon during mid Sep'10.

---------
19-20 Sep'10 Skukuza
21-24 Sep'10 Lower Sabie
25-26 Sep'10 Pretoriuskop
27-28 Sep'10 Berg & Dal
29-30 Sep'10 Golden Gate
1 Oct'10 Karoo NP

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:17 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BEST and MOST informative book regading a WIDE variety of wildlife aspects, covers animals, birds, insects, trees, flowers the lot. After Exploring Kruger: A MUST HAVE :dance: :dance:

Was lucky to get it as a birthday present last month :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:24 pm 

Location: You can take me out of Kruger, but you can never take Kruger out of me!
Hi All

Gameranger in your backpack is an excellent read and informative guide about a wide variety of animals, birds, trees, insecs and geographical elements within Kruger. It provides interesting tid bits that you will find that you didnt know.

I m lucky enough to be meeting Megan this evening at a talk and will definitely get her to sign my copy :D

Berg en Dal: 21 May 2011
PKop: 22- 23 May 2011
Orpen: 24 May 2011
Letaba Indaba! 25- 28 May 2011!!! :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:56 am 

Hey guys

this book is definetly a good buy, if you heading to Kruger. I work at another reserve in the North West as a guide and although it is very different to the Kruger, the facts and info on Fauna and flora is great to know and it is good light reading, not too boring like some field guide books.

Highly recommend it.

cheers
G. :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:57 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Have not read the book, although it is on my list! A very knowledgeable women :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:48 pm 

I bought this book a few months ago and it's an amazingly illustrated reference book! Definitely not boring! I had the pleasure of meeting Megan Emmett a while back for a talk that was held at the War Museum, JHB and my friend brought her copy along and got Megan to sign it. She gave a presentation: a virtual safari, which was great!

December KNP:
16 - 18: Punda Maria
19: Shingwedzi
20 - 23: Mopani