Skip to Content

Mapungubwe: CAMPING

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

Tongasabi

Re: Mapungubwe: CAMPING

Unread postby Tongasabi » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:21 pm

I reckon Mapungubwe is a nice small reserve away from the crowds. Still good game viewing possibilities. You will probably hear lion + hyena at night but we did not see them during the game drives. The heritage tour guide spotted a leopard though.

The hide close to the Forest Camp and campsite is great for Elephant sightings. Last July we have had 50-100 Elephants (several family groups) drinking and playing in the mud. Excellent photo opportunities.

Roads in an Opel Corsa could become a bit of a problem if you want to drive along the river / fence. It's also a bit narrow and a normal car will pick up some nasty scratches (we used a Land Rover and did not bother to much). All the other tracks up to the confluence point are fine with 2x4.

pvheerden

Unread postby pvheerden » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:51 pm

Hi, I just need some info, as we will be visiting Mapungubwe in October as part of an extended Parks tour. One of the couples in our group will be travelling in a sedan car and caravan, and reading throufh the forum I gather that it will be better entering the park for camping from the western side. As we will be approaching from Alldays, after visiting Marakele, will it be necessary for us to book in at the main entrance first and then double back to the Den Staat entrance to Mazhou, or can we go straight to Mazhou? (Save some time and KMS!)

Any info will be much appreciated!

Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Senyetse » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi pvheerden

You will have to check in at the main gate first and will then have to drive back to the campsite. There is no reception at the campsite.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal

john n poppy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby john n poppy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:05 am

Hi Pv..

I would be tempted to go and pitch your caravan if you have already a reservation, then drive to reception and if you have time you can then goto the tree top walk etc.

If you dont have a 4x4 there isnt that much you can drive around and even the sedan roads looked to rough for our VW polo estate.
We spent lots of time at the birdhide by the campsite it was great.

Watch out for monkeys in camp and at night check out the bushbabies..so cute.

Also ellis in the trees by camp can appear from nowhere as you go back and forth to the hide so be careful, they had young when we were there so doubly excitable.

Here are some pics to illustrate the above

SAY NO TO HOTELS IN KRUGER NP...before its too late

Died and going to heaven....5 weeks in Kruger July/August 2015 ...hope to see you there :-)

robynanne

Mapungubwe - camping

Unread postby robynanne » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi there -
Planning to go camping at the Mozhou camp site in March - can anyone give me an update on what the facilities are like there? Have camped alone at Karoo National Park and felt very relaxed and loved it. Assuming that it will be the same at Mozhou.
When is the rainy season - i.e is it possible that I will have a wet camping experiance?

Thanks

Cassius
Guru
Guru

Re: Mapungubwe - camping

Unread postby Cassius » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi robynanne

The tented camp in the Western section of the park caters for 10 caravans/Tents. Each camping site is equipped with a power point. Guests intending to stay over at Mazhou Camping site are the check in at the Mapungubwe Mauin Gate
SANParks
Regional Communications Officer

robynanne

Unread postby robynanne » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:54 am

Have got a booking at Vhembe wilderness camp. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get to Maloutswa hide from there? Would love to spend an early morning there but concerned that it may take too long to get across to that side.

Do parts of the park close i.e. booms across roads at certain times.? A whole bunch of us got locked out at Karoo national park - so at least we were all in the same pickle together - and managed to get out eventually. (most of us had missed the sign that said it closed at 6.00 - and those that did had completely underestimated how long it would take to get back to the gate)

Only one more week till i get there - can't wait!

thanks

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby JoelR » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:21 am

The Eastern Section closes at gate time (6h00-18h00 I think). The Western Section doesn't have any boom, but if the section ranger finds you driving around too late, he might present you with a rather embarrasing fine...

It takes about half an hour from Vhembe to the main gate and then another half an hour to Maloutswa. If you want to be at Maloutswa early, you should ask at reception for official permission to leave Vhembe a bit before gate time, so you'll be at the main gate when it opens.

Ecospook

Unread postby Ecospook » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi, my parents are going to Mazhou camping site in May. What we want to know is, is there still only one ablusion or did they built one more? I couldn't find any information on a second ablusion building .

besembek

Unread postby besembek » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Was there end March 2010. One toilet for gents, one toilet for ladies with seperate doors. The area between toilets have one door entering into area with two basins, and one shower to the left and one shower to the right. As far as I remember there were no signs at the showers (somebody please correct me if i'm wrong), but the guys tend to stick to the one on the right where the gents toilet is, and the girls to the one on the left where the ladies toilet is (maybe the were marked and i just did not pay attention?). No screen, wall between basins so you could end up brushing teeth next to a person of the opposite sex. Happened to me every time, but that was because the SO and I always strolled up to the ablutions together! Also, no signs of any new building planned. Think they should keep it the way it is as more buildings may spoil the camp. Even though all ten sites were occupied when we were there, there were no major queues for the toilet or shower. Had one guy waiting outside the toilet for me once, during early morning "rush hour". Ablutions kept very clean and tidy by staff.

Fell in love with the place and already looking at doing a weekend in the next few months. Our 14 year old son prefers Mapungubwe and Mazhou above any other park, resort or camp. He also can spend hours every day at Maloutswa.
Mostly Camping

PLANNED 2013
Nothing yet :-(

DONE
Mapungubwe Mar '10 & Sep '10
Kruger Mar-Apr '10 & Nov '11
Augrabies Dec '06
Marakele +/- 8 months in early 90's, Dec '12
+/- 10 X day visits to Kruger ('86-'94)

neilkd

Unread postby neilkd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:43 pm

I was also camping in Mazhou over the Easter weekend and can confirm everything besembek says about the campsite.

It is one of the best sites I have stayed at in South Africa - and we've done a lot of camping. The individual sites are well laid out and the ablution block is kept spotless.

One point, the showers are marked ladies and gents. There is also a wheelchair accessible toilet and shower.

louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby louis dreyer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:27 pm

neilkd wrote:I was also camping in Mazhou over the Easter weekend and can confirm everything besembek says about the campsite.

It is one of the best sites I have stayed at in South Africa - and we've done a lot of camping. The individual sites are well laid out and the ablution block is kept spotless.

One point, the showers are marked ladies and gents. There is also a wheelchair accessible toilet and shower.

Neikd i'm glad to hear that there is a wheelchair toilet and shower at the camp site. My so is in a wheelchair and i'm planning a surprize weekend for her and our 2 kids during November.
Can anybody confirm that this is still the situation.
The camp site grounds is it firm or very sandy, will SO be able to move around with wheelchair or not.
Keep them YR's flying

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

stephan groen

Unread postby stephan groen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:07 pm

Louis, I know this post is a bit too late, but for future reference, the campsite is indeed very suitable for wheelchairs. If it rains the ground will however become a bit muddy. But there are excellent bathroom facilities for the mobility challenged.

We camped there during August last year. A beautiful campsite. Just too bad that there was a large group that was very noisy, singing silly songs in the night at full volume. The problem is that there is no ranger situated at the camp to report this to.
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars."

13-16 June: Mopani

19-21 Sept: Mata Mata
22-23 Sept: Nossob
24-26 Sept: Twee Rivieren

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:12 pm

I do think that Mapengubwe is the most wheelchair friendly Park that I have experienced.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Return to “Northern Parks”