Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: OLD SKETCHES OF BUILDINGS IN KRUGER PARK BY OSWALD GERBER
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

In the early 80's I bought a calendar in the Skukuza shop. It was unusual in that it was a perpetual birthday calendar in that it did not show the year or days of the week. It only showed the month with dates shown so one could write in all the birthdays, anniversaries etc etc and use this calendar year after year. The picture for each month was a sketch by Oswald Gerber in colour of the different buildings in the different rest camps. There are a total of 13 sketches - one for each month and one on the cover. I have since cut off the sketches and framed them and they now hang in pride of place in our hallway where I can always stop and stare at them and dream of my past visits to Kruger Park. What I would like to do, and I hope that Oswald Gerber will not mind, is to put each of these sketches up on this thread. I was actually thinking if doing a trip report using each of these sketches as part of the report which would then cover the 13 camps from south to north but I unfortunately do not have enough photos to use.

Post subject: Re: OLD SKETCHES OF BUILDINGS IN KRUGER PARK BY OSWALD GERBER
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:18 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
What a GREAT idea, STF! :clap: :clap: Would keep me enthralled, of that I know.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:50 pm 

Hi there see you are a steamtrain fan, well next time you go to the park you should stop off in White River, there is a steam engine here covered in vines in fact you can only see the shape of the engine...

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

O W N - Thank you - please see my comment below.

Pat.D. - Yes I have seen it and a very sad sight it is.

Please see my trip report " All my old Kruger trips rolled up into one BIG adventure"

I have an old calender with 13 sketches by Oswald Gerber of buildings in the different rest camps. I now want to try and do a trip report which includes my trips prior to me joining the forum as well as my trip reports already done on this thread. This trip will start at Malelane Gate and end up at Punda Maria. I will be using Oswalds sketches, scans of old 35mm photographs and current digital photos. Please allow me some poetic licence as I cannot remember where or when some of the old 35mm photographs were taken so I will fit them in where I think they should fit in. I am still sorting through my old photos and will start as soon as I have Malelane and Berg en Dal sorted out. I trust you will enjoy this journey with me as much as I am enjoying putting it together.