SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE GREAT QUIZ CHAT
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:33 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Unlike you to be passive, IB. :twisted: But, we understand. It happens to the best of us. :thumbs_up:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

HELLO EVERYONE!!! Oh how I have missed you all :D

I was in Mozambique for two weeks after my exams, then with family for two weeks, followed by two weeks in Kenton-on-Sea and finally KRUGER FOR JUST OVER TWO WEEKS!! Just got back :D :D :D Have some lovely sightings to share with you all!

Just give me a few days to pack up at home and get settled at varsity and I'll be back to being a very active member of the forum and most importantly, the quizzes :thumbs_up:

My results... I got 81% for my honours year and made the deans list for academic merit! Yay! So thank you all for the kind wishes and for believing in me (despite the amount of time I spend on the forum :lol: )!!

Zettie, I am so HAPPY that you are back!! YAY!!

See you all in a few days :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 am 
Fantastic results, BF!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 6 weeks of reward for exams well done? :shock: Gosh, it's great to be studying, isn't it!
Look forward to your return ... :D :D :D

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Fairy Girl! Good to see you back. Glad to hear it went exceptionally well with the exams - but then we all knew you're a clever girl, didn't we? :thumbs_up:

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Welcome back BF! :D :D and congrats on your results, brilliant stuff :clap: :clap:

Are you going to be doing your masters now?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:02 am 

BushFairy wrote:

My results... I got 81% for my honours year and made the deans list for academic merit! Yay! So thank you all for the kind wishes and for believing in me (despite the amount of time I spend on the forum :lol: )!!

:evil: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Where do you think you learned the most??? It would have been a pass without the quizzes! :twisted: :wink:

:lol:

Looking forward to have you active again!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:31 pm 

You may have noticed / heard that I am no longer in the moderating team of the Forums. This implies that I will be an ordinary quizzer in the future.

Thank you to all for the good cooperation I had in the years I did the work around here, while you were playing! :twisted: :lol:

I will still be around, but just to come enjoy and learn! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:39 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thank you imberbe!! :thumbs_up: :clap: for the effort you put into the quizzes and the forums as part of the mod team. But I know you will still be very involved for years to come :wink: :thumbs_up:

Now who will keep order :shock: :lol:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:51 am 
Imberbe wrote:
You may have noticed / heard that I am no longer in the moderating team of the Forums. This implies that I will be an ordinary quizzer in the future.

To imply that you will be an ordinary quizzer is an extraordinary statement, IB! But, of course, your humility is as equally laudable as your wisdom and knowledge. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Quote:
Thank you to all for the good cooperation I had in the years I did the work around here, while you were playing! :twisted: :lol:

We didn't have a choice in cooperation - you enforced it! :twisted: :tongue:
But, seriously, it was a pleasure as your co-cooperation was as equally excellent. :D

Quote:
I will still be around, but just to come enjoy and learn! :thumbs_up:

Don't be a stranger!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:22 pm 

Hi all!

It seems to me that the quizzes has been struggling. It is sad to see that what once was one of the most active forums on the entire SANParks Forums has gone very slow.

How can we get it going again?

I used to put much effort in behind the scene to remind people to post, sending PM's, bumping topics, etc. But since I am no longer moderator, that has stopped.

Any ideas on how we can manage this?

Does anyone care? :twisted: :wink:

Last edited by Imberbe on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

It has been very sad to see the quizzes dwindle into almost nothing :( is it because mites have just been busy or rather due to a lack of interest?? Im almost positive it is not due to a lack of interest :wink: so lets get the quizzes back up again! :pray: :pray:

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A big thanks to saraf for indexing all the quizzes!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:02 pm 

You're welcome Oddesy, it was a pleasure.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much saraf! You are a star!! :thumbs_up:

Now let's get the quizzes going again :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:36 am 
Since the quizzes are about truth and the extraction thereof, let's talk truth here, IB.

People need to feel welcome to participate in quizzes, especially newbies and people less confident in certain topics. Of course, by default everyone is welcome in a quiz because this is an open forum. That is not what I am talking about. When people join quizzes who do not normally participate, it is most important - no, vital - that they feel that they are able to compete with the more seasoned mites. Anything they do well must be praised to encourage more participation.

Even more importantly, if a question is asked that has several facets to it - not just those one-word answers that seal the question there and then - it is an unspoken rule that only a suitable portion of the answer is given so that others feel that they can add to it. Thereby, the quizzers form an unspoken comaraderie that allows each person to build on the answers of the previous, dissecting, questioning further, stretching the thought possibilities, extracting new information. People become absorbed and excited in this manner of quizzing and the quizzes flourish like a symphony of trumpets.

When I first joined, we had that kind of teamwork in many of the quizzes, and those quizzes didn't just take off - they rocketed into space. The magnificence of the quizzes is in the virtual building-up of information so that one's personal appreciation and knowledge of nature extends into a trip to a SANParks with possibilities never before contemplated. I would see a herd of impala and immediately notice a behaviour that was talked about on a quiz. I would see a nest and my mind would catapault back to a snippet of fascinating information that made me look at that nest, and the bird that build it, in a new light. I would admire a tree and suddenly remember what uses it had if one was stranded in the wilderness.

Life and nature took on a new meaning. However, and most sadly what I believe was the major factor in stymying - and ultimately in many cases killing - so many of the quizzes was that many people felt intimidated by one or two people who would literally dominate and intimidate a quiz. Someone would post a question and, not only would that question be answered long before anyone else had a chance to investigate and give a suitable response, but the "quiz-slaughterer" would post reams and reams of information that, while perhaps pertinent to the original question in some esoteric way, did not get to grips with the question in a manner that was easily accessible by the majority of participants. Few of us want to sift through an answer that looks like a mini-thesis by an academic on the subject, such that one now has to try and decide what of this conglomeration of knowledge one can extract and use for one's own gain. It's tiring and soul-destroying. And no-one wants to be tired or soulless. :roll: A quiz should be informative, entertaining, and above all, fun and easy to participate in.

In addition, the "quiz-slaughterers'" tendency of copying and pasting large quantities of information from websites also had the effect of making it more difficult to find suitable questions for further use. Because some questions were "over-answered" in this manner in a big way, one consequently struggled to find good questions to post. This was especially true of more "limited" subjects, like frogs or bats or butterflies and moths.

The result: in a short time, many people just left a quiz for good. Maybe they tried another, but were shunted and discouraged time and again, with the result that most just tried their hand elsewhere. Consequently, the core teams fell apart. Newbies seldom will come into a quiz unless coaxed and encouraged by seasoned campaigners. It didn't take long for the "quiz-slaughterers" to bury a quiz, whether intentionally or not - a few months at most.

And, so now we sit, reflecting on great quiz times that once were. If it wasn't for IB's tireless attempts at resurrecting corpses, and sometimes succeeding at least temporarily, the quizzes would have died within a few weeks of the "quiz-slaughterers'" presence. Bravo for trying, IB. :clap:

And bravo for trying yet again. If one examines the quizzes which have endured, one will notice that the "quiz-slaughterers" are entirely absent from these, or their influence is diluted by the nature of the quiz. Hence quizzes like: "I'm Thinking Of", "The Guessing Game", "The Easyish Quiz", and "No Kudu-Horns Quiz" have thrived and flourished like dozens of others once did. As have some others that I consider arcane - which of course doesn't mean they are :naughty: - like "Where in Kruger?", "Digital Distorts", and "Which Hut?". The tip of an iceberg, the whole of which once floated proudly, unmeltingly, in any type of seascape. An iceberg that can once again coalesce if we follow basic principles of fairness, participation, equality, and amicability.

Let's say bravo to IB and Saraf, amongst others, for attempting to lift up a magnificent institution to heights that we were once proud of. We owe to it this forum to do so. However, let us do it in the spirit of congruity and comaraderie - a quiz is a chance to display knowledge, yes; but it is also a way to share in the knowledge of others and, of course, make like-minded friends. Let's be wary of the "quiz-slaughterers" and encourage diversity and equanimity amongst all. This forum is very little to do with despotism or self-glorification, and mostly to do with democratic interaction.

I long for the days when the leadwood fires burnt unrestrained :wink: :D , when a weekend journey through a quiz was better than watching a movie, and when all of us encouraged each other to ever greater heights of knowledge.

Let us go forth and grow forth as one ... simunye! All for one and one for all. :dance: :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next