Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: ELEPHANTS IN MATYHOLWENI
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks for sharing this, Henk! Wonderful caracal sighting!

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:44 pm 

:hmz: Hi, does anyone have news or :cam: of Addo Ellies and different game. It's always nice to get the latest pics. :popcorn: THANKS

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:16 pm 

Saw a black Rhino there a couple of days ago. Also ellies, buffalo, Red Hartebeest, Eland, Zebra, bush buck, duiker, warthog, ostriches, and a baboon 2 weeks ago.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 pm 

Hi there Karibaeve,

Having seen your post here on Sunday the 14th, these are a few very amateur pics taken on Monday the 15th November, and all taken in the South Section of the park. Looks like all are doing well there.
A few Red Hartebeest taken on the Vukani?? Loop.
A small herd of Plains Zebra, taken on the flats,
The 3 Lions taken on the Mbotyi Loop,
Image,
And this guy taken between the Mbotyi and Vukani loops on the "main" road.
Hope you enjoy!
Wox

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
welcome to the forum wox :D
cute babies Red Hartebeest , Zebras, Lions and Ellies :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:12 pm 

:dance: Thank you Wox, i did enjoy, the babie Red Hartebeest are lovely :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 am 

This guy brought on a chuckle, as he obviously wasn't happy with the sleeping arrangements...

Another strange sighting from Matyholweni is what looks like a bicycle in the erosion wall...

I suffer severe 'cabin fever' if I don't visit Addo every second week...

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:27 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
oups bicycle... matress... who live here :shock:
it's like a dumping-ground :evil:
superb red "rocks" :clap: and Ellie of course :clap:

Post subject: Re: Elephants in Matyholweni
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:27 pm 

Thanks for these pictures Anne-marie. Great to see those as it shows how recent the park expansion is... I'm sure Sanparks is going to tackle these issues progressively.

As I won't have any chance to come to Addo and see the new section in the coming months, I would be very interested to see pictures of exotic invasive vegetation as well (e.g. prickly pears).

And does anyone hnow whether Sanparks plans to plant spekboom so as to restore degraded areas?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Joel

I can't see why Sanparks would need to replant spekboom -- the bush down there is much more pristine than in the old section.

The cleared sections -- are you referring to them? I suspect they would be thrilled to leave them cleared with all that lovely grass growing there, same as around Carol's Rest and Woodlands in the `old' section -- without that grass your zebras and hartebeest are going to have a hard time, and I suspect the large numbers of buffalo and eland down there tell their own story -- they vote FOR the lovely grass with their feet!

God bless for 2011

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:13 pm 

Hi Joel. i will be making a 5 night trip to Addo beginning of March 11. Have just purchased a Nissan x-trail and have my camera ready for the big event. We have been to Addo several times and love it.
I will post some Prickly pear pics for you and find out about the spekboom. :cam:

Friedrich. you have a good point---a very good point. Thank you

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:23 pm 

Friedrich: well it all depends on the parks' aims... seeking ecosystem heterogeneity & biodiversity values (as with the new management plan in Kruger which notably closed artificial water points a few years ago) rather than maximazing tourism experience with high visibility of big game species.
I really think much could be done to better enhance the diversity of plant species (and associated species: insects, birds?) in Addo, especially in the old section (as you correctly pointed out).

Karibaeve: I can't wait for your pictures, thanks!

Besides, what are the next plans for Addo?
A- building an underpass (or overpass) at the N2 for elephants and others species to reach the sea
B- building an underpass (or overpass) at the R342 so as to link the Nyaty Concession with the old park area

What would you prefer?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Joel

Thanks for the interesting question!
1. I remember the days when Addo had no lions, and writing that it was not much more than a zoo for elephants with an ostrich and 2 red hartebeest in the background... today it is something very special!
2. I remember writing on the forum that unless predators were added, Karoo NP was only a stopover between Johannesburg and Cape Town so you could see a few springbuck and kudu in the Karoo... today it is something very special!
3. As special as it is, Addo is still an unpolished gem right now, it can be improved even more... when will it be something VERY SPECIAL -- a national park where elephants swim in the sea?!Lets hope Megan and friends keep springing surprises on us, and that this dream can come true sooner than we think!
God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:16 pm 

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:
Hi Joel
2. I remember writing on the forum that unless predators were added, Karoo NP was only a stopover between Johannesburg and Cape Town so you could see a few springbuck and kudu in the Karoo... today it is something very special!

Friedrich von Hörsten

It always has been something special, and always will be lions or no lions same with Addo Park

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi JonJon

Of course you are right -- Addo and Karoo = very special, with or without lions!
Nobody denies this, but you seem to have a problem with lions in Karoo at present, as seen by your other posts in these threads -- sorry about that!

I think you miss the point every time:
Addo was, FOR MOST PEOPLE, nothing compared to Kgalagadi or Kruger, so you popped in there for a pm visit to see an elephant or two, then went your way. I dare say, Karoo was the same for 90% of its visitors -- a convenient stopover between Cape Town and Johannesburg, where you went for a little drive up Klipspringer Pass (all 10 km that existed at the time) to have a squizz at the beautiful Karoo plains below, have your picnic meal there, then left en route to bigger parks elsewhere... How many people would really bother to repeat this routine for a stay of 10 or 20 days?

Today, I believe, both these parks are becoming DESTINATIONS, not stopovers! I believe it is because of the addition of predators, more roads at Matyholweni and the new Karoo roads, so that you don't exhaust all the roads in the park in an hour or two of game driving.
Of course there is still the hiking, relaxing etc which is wonderful -- I lived in Willowmore in the Karoo for 4 years, and love the quiet and peace so much. The point is that you can find this quiet and peace ANYWHERE IN THE KAROO if you go on a dirt road and stop, get out for a walk, or sleep over on a farm B&B like those at 3 Sisters - I did that last year, and had some amazing sunrise walks beneath those Karoo koppies without the fear of lions etc.

If Karoo and Addo want to be self-supporting financially, the odd visitor who enjoys the peace, is not enough to keep them going. Unfortunately more visitors means less peace, but the park survives, and the animals do too.

Thanks for your love for the Karoo -- maybe we wil meet in Addo or Karoo before long. I would enjoy a chat with you. Have you been to Die Hel?

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next