Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Advice on Metsi Metsi Trail
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Daffy , I having spent at least 30 nights at Metsi Metsi would highly recommend this trail .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Daffy

Not that its about the big 5 only...but we had elephant, lion and rhino all just about on top of us with in 10 mins of each other. Had the guid not sneezed we may very well have stood on a lioness! It was that close!

All the walks are great but the highlights were the gorge area somewhere to the east (although very hilly but worth it) and then climbing down and walking around Orpen Da. with great birds and the vegetation hides so many spots that could potentially have something interesting! Would seriously request this particular walk! Otherwise lots of good game in the area which is generally very flat!

Regards

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: o-dog !
The gorges you refer to - there are a number of parallel running river courses towards the east of the trails area at the foothills of the Lebombo hills , these drain into the Nwatwitsontso river below Orpen dam . In one of these gorges we were forced to retreat when a lioness with tiny cubs holed up in a cave about 6m up the side became aware of our arrival and started growling . We could hear the cubs mewing once they were deprived of their milk when the lioness stood up to investigate .
In the dry season , particularly in Sept - Dec - shortly before the first rains of the season - a lot of game tends to congregate in the pools east of Orpen dam - I have seen herds of 200 + common antelope species while we were hiding behind vegetation no further than 50m away , untill one of our group moved position slightly , and they bolted en mass .
I have been so close to an elephant which was drinking no more than 30m away from us on the opposite side of a drainage line that I could hear the water running out of its trunk and down its throat .
I have had many encounters with bold (in the days that many refugees traversed the area - and became their meals) lions , as well as not so bold ones , exciting hippo encounters , leopard twice in one morning (total 3) ...
black rhino sighting for a few minutes at a distance of perhaps 100m ...

Very vivid memories .... a wonderful trail ....

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:08 pm 

It's a wonderful trail!

I did it towards the end of May this year.

Saw white rhino several times fairly close by (had to hide behind bushes a few times while rangers guarded us with their rifles). Also came close to elephants, giraffes and saw a leopard dart into a bush very close to us, ie less than 10 metre away.

The biggest surprise - and shock - was coming back to our camp on foot on the second day, and almost about to climb over the metal pole "stairs" into the camp next to the Hide, when suddenly the Rangers stopped dead-still, cocked their rifles and signalled to us. A few meters away, almost in touching distance, 4 lions stood up in the long grass and scurried away! Thank goodness they were more scared of us than we were of them, but we hadn't really had time to get scared, it all happened so quickly. A few members of our group had quick enough reflexes to get photos, but I didn't. Though the memory is burned into my mind forever.

Another highlight of that trail was going for an evening drive to a scenic spot for sundowners, and my brother (who I was travelling with) spotted some movement in the bush. It turned out to be 2 black mambas mating. What an exotic dance it was, entwined and slithering around for a long time until we lost sight of them as they disappeared into the bush. The trail rangers were so excited as they had never seen anything like this before.

You'll have a wonderful time - so jealous that I can't join you! It's also really not strenuous if you have a normal sort of level of fitness.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:51 am 

Thank you for your thrilling story's. They don't scare us of. On the contrary, with every new post we get more and more excited. It's good to read that the trail gives one a true wilderness experience and with a little luck some extraordinary events.
We have still vivid memories of a trail in 2001 in Umfolozi Wilderness Area, when on day one 2 white rhino's took a run at us and the rangers shouted them away just 10-20 m before they would reach us. We sincerely hope never to experience though, that shooting is necessary. It would be a shame and feel us very guilty and selfish.
And Pufki.... availability is stil there for 11-9.

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Post subject: Re: Metsi Metsi Trail - Raad asb?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Stellie , I can answer in Afrikaans , but the moderators will object as the official forum language is English .
I will translate your questions as well as possible ...

Ek het n paar vragies... ASB help?

A few questions .. please help ?

Vragie 1
Presies hoe werk dit? ek sien die basiskamp is Skukuza en neem aan die veldwagter laai my af by die Metsi kamp. Is daar net een kamp op die roete? Wat ek wil weet is, kom jy elke dag terug na dieselfde kamp toe? Loop jy vanuit die kamp en dan kom jy vanaand terug of gaan laai hulle jou erens in die veld af?

Question 1

How does it work precisely ? I see the base camp (actually the meeting point) is Skukuza and the trails ranger will take us to Metsi Metsi camp ? Is there only 1 camp on trail ? Do we return to the same camp after the days walks ?

Answer

The Metsi Metsi trail departs from Skukuza , where you park your car , report to reception , meet the trails officers and then depart in a Sanparks open safari vehicle for the trails camp which is a few km east of Tshokwane .
At the base camp there are four A frame huts with 2 beds in each with bedding (sheets & blankets & pillows) as well as 2 ablution units with gas heated showers and flush toilets . There is a camp kitchen where a cook prepares tasty wholesome meals for the trailists .
Day walks are undertaken from her , a morning walk of about 5 hrs and a more leisurely afternoon walk of about 3 hours - often incorporating a sunset drive thereafter.

Vragie 2.
Kos, moet ons niks kos saamvat nie? ek sien mens kan extra water vat? Dalk n Camelback?

Q 2
Regarding food ? Do we have to take our own food ? We can take extra water with us ? Perhaps a Camelback ?

Answer

All the food is provided . You may bring your own snacks and food provided there is space to store them , rodents etc. make short work of unprotected foodstuffs . There is little need to bring your own food unless you have specific dietary requirements , and your own snacks may be usefull if you have a high metabolism , and provided there is space in camp / and you can carry them in your daypack , though I personally have never had any requirement therefore .
Before departure on the morning walks coffee / tea & rusks are provided . Sanparks provides a picnic lunch on the morning walk usually consisting of Provita , sausage (wors) cheese , fresh and or dried fruit , nuts etc. which the trailists carry in daypacks which are also provided . There is drinkable water on tap in camp , but those spoiled city mallwalkers used to bottled water should bring their own supply which can be carried in the daypack . Remember there is no electricity , so hairdryers , TV sets etc are of no use , likewise there is no cell phone reception (cellphones and music I- pods , loud talking etc are explicitly forbidden , in fact the trails officer should insist they are left in your car at Skukuza .)
On returning from the morning walk a brunch usually consisting of eggs , bacon or sausage , toast is provided , as well as an evening meal of chicken or beef stew or braaied meat .

Vragie 3.
Die area waar mens stap, ek wil graag die Metsi gaan stap om tot by die boom te kom waar Wolhuter die leeu doodgesteek het, dis my droom, en as hulle nie daar stop nie kan ek maar net so wel die Sweni gaan stap. My vragie is dus, gaan hulle my tot by die boom en gedenkplaat vat?

Q3 .
Will we be able to walk to the Wolhuter memorial where Wolhuter stabbed & killed the lion ? If not , I could just as well walk the Sweni trail ...

Answer

The trails officer may on request take you there by vehicle from which a walk may be undertaken in the general area , subject to the area being on the rotational schedule , no fires occuring, etc .
The memorial is along a tourist road , thus according to Sanparks procedure you may not be seen on foot by tourists in vehicles , so the chances of walking to the site are probably zero , as it possibly encourages visitors to get out of their cars .

Vragie 4
Die Dierelewe….. my ander droom is op leeus te voet te kry. dink jy dis n moontlikheid of sal die Sweni beter dien?

Q4

Animal life ... another of my dreams is to see lions on foot , is there a possibility of this on Metsi Metsi , and is there a greater liklihood of this on the Sweni trail ?

Answer
There is a good chance of lion sightings on foot on both the Metsi or the Sweni , I have seen them on both trails , though there is no guarantee on either , as it depends on many factors , rainfall , vegetation , natural game movement , as well as a large proportion of luck !

I hope I have been of assistance , Stellie ! Feel free to PM me (as you have done before) for more info !
In closing , I would recommend the Metsi Metsi above the Sweni !

Last edited by ndloti on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

To me the Metsi-Metsi was very good.
Remember to take something cool as a sundowner, and also to have around the camp fire and also during the day while in camp, (not necessarily alcoholic, having a hangover on a trail I can imagine will be terrible) while listening to the Night Jars and the Jackals and the distant Kings confirming their territory.

Ice is plentiful, there is enough storage/cooling facilities.

Would you be so kind as to pass on our regards to the two Leopards we saw on our trail and also to the Civet that visits the Camp. maybe the territorial Lion will again come to check if the gate is secure and also my wife Lanette's regards to the two resident Scopsies in camp.

Just maybe the 8 old Bulls will come to the waterhole just outside the camp and you could spend a few hours watching their performance from the hide - oh how I envy you :) :) :)

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Stellie , more advice , leave your watch in camp by your bedside .

Enforce strict silence at breakfast stops so you can take in the sounds of birds , wind through the grass , perhaps a far off elephant rumble , a breaking branch , fighting rhino , the soft "umh" of lion communicating ...

Post subject: Metsi metsi???
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:23 pm 

Hallo>>>
I have booked wildernis trail at metsi metsi. Just want to know if it is ok to go on your own, know there is goiing to be other people to? And what is the best between metsi metsi and the bushmans trial. What to the people think of metsi metsi that have bean where??

Thanx :D

Post subject: Re: Metsi metsi???
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:33 pm 

hi all

It is fine to go on your own, I did as SO thinks he has walked enough in his life. Metsi Metsi is one of the better trails (methinks), lots of game including predators, nearly stepped on a sleeping lion while following mixed herd of zebra's and wildebeast. Looked for spiders and other night things in the camp, saw rhino at the waterhole from the verandah where you have meals and chats. (Nyalaland is my favourite trail. lots of birds). Bushman's was Ok, other's probably have different opinions.

Enjoy

NO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

Post subject: Re: Metsi Metsi Wilderness Trail
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Near the entrance to Metsi Metsi trails camp soon after completion in Sept (?) 1988 , note the new yellow thatch , vegetation in the camp is vary bare compared with present . Kitchen building is closest in the picture , 2 trailists huts to the left - one is cut off on the edge of the image , the other 2 trailists huts - one of which is obscured - to the right with the lapa in the centre .

1988 . The single shower on the left (there are double facilities now - toilet to the right) - buckets of hot water had to be carried up the ladder and added to the tapped cold water in the dustbin .

1988 . On a morning walk in one of the parallel north/south running river gorges towards the eastern boundary , we heard the rumbling growl of a lion , this lioness was holed up with her newborn cubs in a cave in the side of the gorge , we beat a carefull retreat . When she heard our approach from some 100 metres she stood up growling , her cubs mewed at the loss of their food source ...

1989 (?) One of the pools in the north / south gorges , the easterly flowing Nwaswitsontso river at the base of the distant hills .

Post subject: Re: Metsi metsi???
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:57 am 

Thanks a lot, I'm looking forward to the metsi metsi in april. Hope its not to hot.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Post subject: Metsi Metsi Trail Stuff to Bring?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:04 pm 

Hi,

I'm unable to locate a list of stuff to bring for the Metsi Metsi Trail. Some stuff is obvious but is there a suggested packing list?

Do we need sleeping bags and mats?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Metsi Metsi Trail Stuff to Bring?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello there . Look under wilderness trails (Parks A-Z then Kruger then look at the bottom of the page and click on wilderness trails )
But the trails are fully equipped with proper beds and all linen and towels supplied. there is a shower and flush toilet. All food is supplied
Clothing and personal stuff
Enough clothes for the three Nights. No bright colours or white . Beige and khakie are the best
Nice comfy walking boots. Sun hat Mozzie repellent And you must bring your own drinks They supply tea and coffee. Not too many alcohlic drinks either.

Post subject: Re: Metsi Metsi Trail Stuff to Bring?
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Tietter :D here is a link to the info wilderness trails

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next