SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Wilderness: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Any recent sightings of the Narina at Wilderness and surrounding areas?

Post subject: Narina Trogon
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:53 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Wildtuinman

Although I haven't been to Wilderness in over a year, there are some good places to see the bird in the Wilderness Area. An ex colleague would tell me she saw them regularly on a certain forest drive. Unfortunately I no longer have her contact details so cannot ascertain exactly where. Ask at reception how to get to the new SANParks forest lands (there is a big tree called "The Big Tree" which should be ideal. Personally I've seen them further east at Nature's Valley (Tsitsikamma NP) and at the Garden of Eden and at Harkerville.

Post subject: Wilderness: Beware of snakes....!
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:59 am 

:shock: I would like to caution visitors and especially hikers in the Wildernis area to keep an eye out for snakes.

As a result of the hot and humid conditions in the Southern Cape, snakes are very active at present. On the week-end our group of hikers encountered snakes on three different occasions. All on the short hikes around the main camp.

Visitors to the area normally go out to enjoy the abundant bird life and the tendency is to search the trees for birds with less focus on what is going on at ground level. I actually stepped over a puff-adder which was only noticed by the hiker behind me.

Visitors should also rather wear proper hiking boots than "tekkies" or "plakkies".

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Thanks for the warning,

I always like to hike there with rocky "plakkies". I have thought that to see a snake around there would be even less of a chance than the elusive Narina Trogon I am always after.

I have heard from my dad living in Grootbrak Rivier that the place is invected with puff adders, but have never seen one there myself.

I will be more wary next time. You are so right about us birders with our eyes in the skies. What was the other snakes you've encountered?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:50 pm 

Our first encounter was a puff-adder (50 to 60 cm) at the start of the trail going to the waterfall, up the Tou-river valley. This was right on the verge of the caravan park. About two thirds up the valley we came across a snake, dark brown in colour (1 to 1,2m), which moved away before we could get a positive ID.

The second puff-adder which I stepped over (30 to 40 cm), was on the trail following the lagoon towards the village.

It will be best to go on walks early morning when it is still fairly cool and to avoid areas covered in reeds or tall grass.

Post subject: Re: Beware of snakes....!
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:50 pm 
Guru
Guru

Bushman wrote:
:shock: I would like to caution visitors and especially hikers in the Wildernis area to keep an eye out for snakes.

As a result of the hot and humid conditions in the Southern Cape, snakes are very active at present. On the week-end our group of hikers encountered snakes on three different occasions. All on the short hikes around the main camp.

Visitors to the area normally go out to enjoy the abundant bird life and the tendency is to search the trees for birds with less focus on what is going on at ground level. I actually stepped over a puff-adder which was only noticed by the hiker behind me.

Visitors should also rather wear proper hiking boots than "tekkies" or "plakkies".

Couldn't agree with you more. In our enjoyment of the beauty around us we often forget the safety measures. I think what I would like to add to your warning is the issue of going in groups. Often in a place like Wilderness you tend to want to go off and spend time with yourself and nature - have been guilty of this myself, but don't tell anyone - and you ignore what could happen to you out there by yourself.

Thanks for the warning. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:48 pm 

we have booked a camping(tent) weekend at the park and are now concerned about the snakes - we have two kids under the age of 5 - what is the risk factor - what advise can you give and is there help at hand in case - thanks for warning

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Don't be concerned. Snakes are more afraid of humans so they'll disapear before you'll see them. when r u planning to go?

I have been there numerous times and have not seen a snake. It does not mean that they aren't there, they just try and avoid humans as far as possible.

You'll rather encounter snakes on the hiking routes and not so really in the camps self. Snakes are everywhere in our country, you'll encounter them everywhere: at home, other camps etc. Chances are almost 100 times better that you'll get involved in a car crash than get bitten by a snake.

Just make sure that when walking at night that you've got a flashlight. nightadders and puffadders like lying in footpaths and if you don't see them u might step right on it.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Who has seen a leopard around Wilderness?
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Who has seen a leopard around Wilderness? Bet u chances r better to c the dappled one before the Narina that eludes me for so loooooong! :lol:

Post subject: leopards Knysna
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

They are rare there, so dont expect to see them. I have seen tracks at Natures Valley in that part of Tsitsikamma, and heard of sightings in pass (Alfred pass) I think above Knysna forest or the other one cannot remember..

w

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
For Gwendolen especially. :lol:

I have been to the Park once a year for the last 4 years and must say that everytime I enjoy it even more. It is a little gem hidden away in one of our countries most beautifull parts.

The camping facilities are brilliant with grass stands almost everywhere. We visited the ebb & flow area.

The bushhuts (I think that's the real name) are awesome with some having 2 and other 4 beds right on the river's edge. Canoes can be hired nearby for a drive on the breathtaking river with views you can most probably only find there at Wilderness. Fishing is also allowed.

There are several dayhikes. Ranging from mountain hiking, forest hiking and normal lake/vlei hiking. Birdlife is prolific and there are a couple of birdhides in Wilderness to enjoy birding from.

The roads in wilderness are mainly gravel and depending on the rainfall it differs from being good to unpassable(only in sever cases) if water obstructs it. A 4x4 would be handy then. Otherwise normal sedans do absolutely fine.

The area is quite vast and needs at least 3 days to explore. There r too much info to mention here and anyone could feel free to ask more questions.

Post subject: Ebb & Flow Restcamp North or South?
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:47 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Who has camped at both restcamps in Wilderness? (North and South) What are the differences between them? Which do you prefer?

Post subject: Re: Ebb & Flow Restcamp North or South?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
gwendolen wrote:
Who has camped at both restcamps in Wilderness? (North and South) What are the differences between them? Which do you prefer?

Hi Gwen,

The northern camp lies very close to the Touw river and is kind of enclosed by the tall well treed hills. It is somewhat narrow but extremely beautifull. The southern side is much more spacious and a bit further from the water. It too is very nice. I would prefer the northern side for being closer to the water and for being closer to some of the hiking trails, by not much though. :D The scenery that you get from sitting by your tent is breathtaking in the northen camp.

Hope it helps?
Cheerio
WTM.

Post subject: Travelling from Wilderness to Wilderness NP
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:30 pm 

I need a cheap way to get from wilderness to the national park and from PE to Addo, any ideas?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:37 pm 

Try the Baz Bus

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb