Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: S25 Crocodile River Road
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:59 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
cheetah2111 wrote:
Sounds like it is good for spotting wild dogs :D

Like these there?

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:03 pm 

Another fantastic road! Once had a lion and cheetah sighting within 50m of each other, just after the hippo pools turnoff going towards Berg en Dal, thankfully the former didn't see the latter. On another occasion can vividly remember a pack of hyaena, six or seven strong, walking towards of us and splitting almost in perfect unison on either side of the car. It was a goosebumps moment!

Coming to think of it now, most roads have been produced something at some time.

Anyway its almost time for the start of festivities, wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

This is a great road! have seen lion, wild dog, leopard and cheetah in the same morning. Scenery is also great!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

For a second time, I have spotted wild dogs (6 this time) on the S25 - ±10km from CB :dance: :dance: on 27 December 2010. In both instances I travelled from LS and took the H5 road to Mpondo dam. From there to the S25 and bingo - wild dogs!! Still need to see a leopard on this road though.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:01 am 

Hi all, just wondering what sightings have been noticed recently on this road. Also, how long does it take to travel from Berg en Dal to the Croc Bridge gate along the S25?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:03 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
I enjoy this road FRUITBAT.

Have seen wild dog on occassions too.

One drive gave us Buffalo, Lion, Rhino, Elephant and plenty more smaller species. It was great.

In June we had a lion sighting on the corner of the S25 and the road to Biyamiti Camp. There were some trenches dug and the lions had taken down a buffalo which landed up in the trench. This made feeding rather difficult. The pride consisted of 4 females and eight cubs. Unfortunately two of the lionesses were not in very good condition. Plenty of ticks. The other two seemed fine and one was collared. The cubs were gorgeous.
Here is a pic of one

The lionesses seemed restless, I think the cars were parked to close and being on a corner I think the way the cars were parked perhaps made the lions feel "boxed-in". This pic of the lioness shows a bit of her irratation. Just after taking this pic (see the look in her eyes) she snarled and lunged forward towards the car which was parked right opposite to where they were feeding (1 or 2 meters away) the driver also kept putting his hand as far out of the window as possible to take pictures. She was not too happy with him.

I'd say Croc Bridge to Berg 'n Dal is about 65kms - time about 2 and a half hours but naturally it would depend on sightings :wink:

Always a good road to drive for me and the scenery along the river is good. A stop off at the Hippo Pools is also interesting.

Last edited by RosemaryH on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:36 am 

I really hate it when people stress the animals to the point where they feel they have to react violently. :(

But to get back to the road, yes we enjoy driving this road and usually take well over 3 hours due to all the stopping and starting, the last part most probably driven a bit quicker due to urgent needs for the loo! :roll:

We have had our best Leopard sighting ever here a few years back, (pic on pg 2 of this thread)
and before that my first LIT ever.

Have also seen Black Rhino towards the B & D end. :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:13 am 

Hi all
Is there a best time of day to travel this road ??

(dont know it well and would really like to try it out again from LSabie in November...)

Thanks!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:08 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hey Terri-Lee :D

As you probably know, you would have to initially drive down the H4-2 to get to the s25 turn off :)
I would guess the afternoon is better ... but that is just a subjective opinion :)

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:13 am 

Drove this road in Jan 2012. Only about the third time I have driven it in over 15 years. As we normally stay at Skukuza, it takes a while to get there, as we stop at Afsaal first and then hit the road from there.

We have seen many animals on this road, but never any predators. Well untill this time.

First we came across a very very nervous herd of Impala, they were snorting like mad at something in the bushes. Well after sitting with them for almost 30 min we gave up and left. My guess is it was Leopard, but will never know.

And then a couple of minutes later, we saw................wait for it..............

BROWN HYEANA.

Yes thats correct a brownie, and not Aardwolf. This fellow was on a mission somewhere so by the time we stopped and got the camera, he was long gone. But something that is imprinted on the mind forever.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

jako , what good luck !
It is quite another job to convince some of the "Doubting Thomases" - I am pretty sure I saw one at a distance up north in 1987 .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:44 pm 

Well I cant speak for others, but the reason the sighting was so quick that there was no chance to take a pic is that it was freaking hot and we were doing about 30km/h on gravel. So do a sudden brake because of excitement on gravel and see what happens to the car, as well as the sighting.

Next time..........next time

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
There has been so much debate about Brown Hyenas. This area used to be theri habitat and it would be wonderful if they were returning.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:47 pm 

We never 'forget' this road and we had some good sightings over the years. several times lions, sometimes only males but 1 occasion lions with cubs, we've seen cheetahs next to the road, last time (september 2011) some hyeanas with bones of a buff, 3 times wild dogs ( all for ourselves.. :cam: ) . And ofcourse many 'common' animals like giraf, waterbuck, impala...... do I have to go on... :mrgreen:
I think we only miss the leopard on this road.

Maybe next time.... :wink:

Ruud

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:56 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Holy smokes Ruud :big_eyes: That's fantastic! Seems like you I have traveled down different S25's :lol:
Out of interest ... is the s25 near croc Bridge better in your opinion? Or near Berg en Dal?
For me the 'life' has been near Berg En Dal then at Biyamiti. Quiet otherwise :hmz:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next