Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Kruger Historical Sites
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I have always been wondering who was buried in the Kruger Park. I have even come across a pet cemetry in Skukuza.

Who was Anna Ledeboer (Ranger's wife) and why was she buried near Letaba? What was the cause of her death?

Who was William Lloyd, buried near Satara?

Thomas Hart, buried near Berg-en-Dal?

Also, who was Bran Key, plaque near Kanniedood?

Danie, would you know?

Post subject: Re: Kruger graves
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:20 am 
Guru
Guru

wildtuinman wrote:
I have always been wondering who was buried in the Kruger Park. I have even come across a pet cemetry in Skukuza.

Who was Anna Ledeboer (Ranger's wife) and why was she buried near Letaba? What was the cause of her death?

Who was William Lloyd, buried near Satara?

Thomas Hart, buried near Berg-en-Dal?

Also, who was Bran Key, plaque near Kanniedood?

Danie, would you know?

Hi Wildtuinman

The best place to research this subject is Dr Tol Pienaar's "Neem uit die verlede". Next time you are in Skukuza, pop into the library and ask if you can read through this wonderful reference source.

A lot of the "newer" memorials are placed after guests approach us with requests to place plaques in memory of their loved ones who have passed away.

You will notice, particularly in older camps like Lower Sabie, that a lot of the benches have got plaques dedicated to various people. If we can accommodate these requests, we do.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:29 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Thanks a million!

Can't wait to get to that Library!

Please see a comment of mine earlier and elsewhere on the forum on how difficult it is to find something in the library. An electronic cataloque perhaps would work.

Thanks yet again KNP Spokesman.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:58 am 
Guru
Guru

wildtuinman wrote:
Thanks a million!

Can't wait to get to that Library!

Please see a comment of mine earlier and elsewhere on the forum on how difficult it is to find something in the library. An electronic cataloque perhaps would work.

Thanks yet again KNP Spokesman.

Hi Wiltuinman

At the risk of sounding like a "Smart Alec", I can comment about this too.

One of the major problems of the library was the reference system. Fortunately "THE COLONEL" recently came to our rescue yet again. Well ... perhaps not him, but his son Jamie Stevenson-Hamilton. Not only did he donate money to update and install all our "knowledge resource" material and records, he also gave the money to install air-conditioning in that building.

The Knowledge Resource Department is busy with the update process at the moment - as you can imagine, with cross-referencing, data capture and all that, it is a mamoth task! - but when it is finished, it promises to be something really special.

By the way, Jamie and the rest of the family often visit the KNP and take an active role in many projects. They are wonderful people and give us tremendous help and support whenever they return to South Africa. Naturally, we treat them like gold when they visit us! They now live in Scotland.

When you go to the library, just ask either Caroline Moshesh or Tshide Morulane for assistance. Those two girls know the library like the back of their hands and will be only to pleased to help you.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

His son?!? My goodness.

He must be one of the most popular guests in the Park? I would have love to meet him! If I were to be so lucky.

Glad to hear that he is very much part of the Park which his dad build to what it is today.

Thank you very much for all your help KnpSpokesman.

Regards
WTM.

Post subject: Bushmen paintings
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:10 pm 

Could you tell me if there are bushmen paintings in the southern end of the park that people can see without having to go on a guided tour? Thank you

Post subject: Re: Bushmen paintings
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:20 pm 
Guru
Guru

pikkanin wrote:
Could you tell me if there are bushmen paintings in the southern end of the park that people can see without having to go on a guided tour? Thank you

Hi Pikkanin

I am afraid the answer is no at this stage. The problem with bushman paintings is that they are often damaged by humans if they are open to the public and guided tours are the only option at the moment. This is currently being investigated.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Are the bushmen paintings in the camp at Mopani the real thing? I only ask as they didn't seem to be protected from tampering, so I was wondering if they were copies? Thanks :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Realising that the two of you are so office bound (ha! we'll believe you but thousands wouldn't!!!!) Is there anyway that some of this "literary Gold" can be made available on the 'net? I am sure it would be invaluable for educational purposes, and of extreme interest to the fundis! Maybe the technikons offering Nature Conservation diplomas can get involved in housing (Danie's bandwidth being a problem), scaning and transcribing some of the older, more valuable stuff.

I will take a weeks leave to come and help :) But seriously, this would be great publicity for SANP, Kruger and the library.

Post subject: Bushmen paintings
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:02 am 

Does this mean the only way one can see Bushmen paintings in the park is to take one of the overnight trips? Will a morning or afternoon drive from Berg-en-dal for instance go to those areas?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:30 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Mopani's is fake,

KNP Spokesman, I remember that there were a small cave at the hippo pool, near Croc Bridge which was covered by metal bars. Was that bushman paintings?

I haven't been there for a couple of years so I am not sure.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:29 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

On our last visit to KNP we went to the Hippo pool for the first time in years. When we arrived, the old guard (forgot his name), returned with two ladies from the rocky hill. He mentioned something of paintings that used to be there and as far as I could remember he said that they were washed away during the floods.

Maybe Danie / Kruger can confirm this?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

It could very well be true. What a huge lost that will be! :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:08 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The guard told us the same thing when we visited the Hippo Pools in October. When you see how high the water was in that area, you kind of understand how it could have happenned, but agreed with Wildtuinman: a tragic loss

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:56 am 

While at Kruger in Dec04, we went to Hippo Pools outside CrocBridge and there is still a small piece of the painting left. It seemd to be the head of an eland?, worth going to have a look as the scenery is fantastic. While up on the rocks, also saw hippo, elephant, big herd of buffalo.