Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Spring visit to Karoo
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:44 am 

Stoffel
As I see you have visited Karoo many times, can you help me on what the weather is like during Desember there ?

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Visagie

Firstly - welcome to the forum.

I have only been once to Karoo Nat Park in December (2008) when we camped for 13 nights. Looking at the weather forecast daily before we left, we were rather sceptical that we gonna "burn out". Yes, we had some hot days, but never higher than the mid-30's C. We prepared ourselves for much higher temperatures (because before we left it touched 40 C). But luck was on our side. We were fortunate to find a nice shady plot. We used the fan more than once during mid-day but never felt the need to go and cool down in the swimming pool. Just prepare yourself that you may get a very hot day or two.

But boy, oh boy, the evenings (sitting outside with an ice cold "foam-head" or a glass of the Boland's best), looking at the stars as you can only see it in the Karoo, having a braai, listening to the jackals, waiting for the shrewd porcupine to make its appearance .... It is then that you forget about the sweat you lost during the day.

I hope to do it again in near future (visiting Karoo during the Christmas/New Year period). Unfortunately I am still of the working class and working for a company whose financial year-end is 31 December - not easy to get away then.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The topic of this post reads: "Spring visit to the Karoo". But instead of starting a new topic on the two short visits to Karoo (both 1 night stay-overs), I thought I will just carry on with this one - although both visits were in December, Sunday 5 December & Thursday 9 December.

I needed to go and see customers in the Northern Cape and decided to combine a bit of work and pleasure. We left home during mid-morning last Sunday and arrived at the park late afternoon. It was a nice sunny day, but fortunately the Karoo showed its nice side to us regarding temperatures. (It was not even necessary to use the aircon)

We unpacked our few things in Chalet No 22, had a quick cup of coffee and decided to drive up Klipspringers Pass and back during the short time we had available before the booms to the game viewing areas were closed.

At Reception we saw a beautiful photo of one the newly released male lions that was taken at the top of Klipspringers Pass by one of the field rangers. And no doubt, we were hopeful to find lion on our first visit (by the way, it was visit No 44 to the park) since their release.

Between the main camp and the camping area (on the lower slopes of The Pointer) we saw two Grey Rhebuck - the nearest I have ever seen them to the camp. The only previous ones were seen on the middle plateau. And once again Klipspringers Pass lived up to its name with the sighting of two klipspringers. We saw a single Black Eagle in flight near Rooivalle, and also the odd kudu, red hartebeest and springbok.

In order to be back in time, we had to make a U-turn on the middle plateau. Arriving back at camp, I took a photo of the view from No 22's stoep and of the chalet itself.

Looking back towards the chalet, I saw my "neighbour" sitting on No 21's stoep. He drew my attention to the lions lying about 400 metres away. It was the two lionesses and the 4 cubs (although I only managed to see 3 of the cubs). I made a white spot on the next photo to give an idea where the lions were.

It was too far to take photos (at least with my camera), but they could be beautifully seen with binoculars as they were out in the open - feasting on a zebra they have caught earlier the day. It was not possible to see whether it was a Burchell's or Cape Mountain Zebra. We watched them untill it became too dark to see anything further. What can be nicer than to have a nice golden frothy drink on your chalet stoep - watching nature play its own game. Monday morning they were all gone and it was difficult to find parts of the carcass through the binoculars.

After enjoying a nice breakfast at Salt & Pepper (the park's restaurant - and included in the rate if you stay in the chalets), we had to leave to go and earn some bread and butter. But it was nice knowing that two nights in Mokala still waited, as well as another night in this fantastic Karoo haven. (I'll report under 'Arid Parks' on the visit to Mokala).

To be continued.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Stoffel for this very interesting read. I'm already planning our holiday 2012 and the Karoo is high on my wish list as I have never been there before. It's a shame that I didn't take the decision earlier as the park seems about to change with the lions being introduced there.

We'll probably going end of March / start of April. What evening / night temps would we have to expect?

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lionspoon

I'm not able to give the actual average night temperatures for March/April. But I can assure you that your chances for ideal nights during that time of the year is very good. Personally I have never been in the park during March, but have been there on several occasions during the later half of April and many times during May. April is a fantastic time in the Karoo and May you can get some cooler weather already. March may still be a bit hot during the some days, but I am confident that night temperatures will be nice.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Stoffel, that was actually all I wanted to know.
Did pose my question a bit weird. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

After a wonderful two-night stay in Mosu Lodge (Mokala Nat Park - and to be reported on separately), we returned to Karoo on Thursday for another night's stay-over. This time we arrived on a scorcher of a day.

In spite of the heat we saw a lot of game - kudu, hartebeest, gemsbok, mountain zebra, mountain reedbuck. We had no luck with lions, but we came across this guy:

Two years ago I had my first luck with a blackie - this one - (although they were actually two together then):

Last edited by Stoffel on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On my way tomorrow for my usual spring visit to Karoo - this time for 11 nights. We had a wonderful 14 night stay during May and are looking forward to a spectacular visit again.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Enjoy stoffel! :thumbs_up: Looking forward to hear all about it when you return! :popcorn: