Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Namaqua National Park: Advice
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:53 pm 

Hello!

I will be visiting the Namaqua area at the end of August/beginning of September this year.
Do you guys think it will be a good time to see the wonderful fLowering of Namaqua?
I know that the period changes every year, but is there any way to have an idea of how this season is?

Thanks in advance for your help, and a warm "ciao" from Italy!

Elena

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:50 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Elena,

Yes that time you will really see some awesome flowers, you won't believe your eyes! All those fields upon fields of flowers in all colours imaginable! A sight you will never ever forget!
If you look on the internet (sorry i don't know exactly where) you will find a flower hotline (usually a MTN cell no) and they give you updates on where the flowers are the best at that spesific time.
Just remember to book your stay as it is really full and overbooked at that time of year!
Also make an effort to go to the reserves (specially Skilpad at Kammieskroon and Goegap at Springbok and the one at Nieuwoudtville)!
Enjoy every second! I'm jealous

Post subject: Namaqua National Park
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:17 pm 

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:32 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Namaqua National Park

This Namaqualand showcase of 60 000 ha reserve is situated north-west of Kamieskroon. "The Padloper" is the world's smallest tortoise and occurs only here in the western part of the country. It is currently listed as an endangered species, as a result of the impact of human activities on their habitat. Over 3000 plant species and 150 bird species can be found in this area. The Park does not only aim to preserve wildlife diversity but also offers environmental education and is a training site for new land conservation methods for local landowners.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:53 pm 
We went through the Namaqua National Park en-route from Springbok to a small town at the coast, Hondeklipbaai.

The road we took was the“Messelpad Pass"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:01 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Sounds like a park to do in spring...

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:07 pm 
Very easy to combine with a Augrabies and Kgalagadi trip.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:37 am 

Done it in flower season and is absolutely AWESOME and breathtaking! {only have foto's of it will see if maybe i can put the film on cd

As Jumbo said great to combine with Augrabies!

Also did the Messelpad pass... but we were going to slowly and stopping (and getting out) too much for all the flowers to realize the bad road

Post subject: Location of NNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:17 pm 

Hullo helpful people

I'm doing a map of the Namaqua NP for a magazine and I'm having trouble exactly positioning the reserve. Can anyone give me a better idea of its situation, or better still send me a map?

Many thanks
Sally in Cape Town

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:27 pm 

Have a look on the website, Sally.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:54 pm 

Thanks - I was wanting a bit more detail (park in relation to Kamieskroon).

Also, is the Skilpad Wildflower Reserve a section of the NNP?

Cheers
Sally

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Bonjourno elenavelena,

Last week August & first 2 weeks September are usually the best for the flowers.

My daughter did a year's community service in nearby Garies, and if the winter rains come, it will be awesome.

The whole of Namaqualand can be carpeted with colour, not just the park.

Regards,
BB

Post subject: Best flowers in Namaqua
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:48 pm 

Hi

Can someone help me to find the best spots to photograph flowers in the Namaqua region?

I am a belgian photographer (http://www.paulgodard.com) living in Gordon's Bay and it will be the first time I go to Namaqualand at the peak of the flower season.

As a passionate of landscape, I am particulary looking for vast flower carpets in stunning surrounding but also to macro-photograph flowers.

I intend to go at the end of July and I am also looking for self-catering accommodation around Kamieskron.

Thank you for sharing good information.[/url]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Stay at the Kamieskroon hotel and go from there. The owners know all about photographing flowers as their mother is the famous Colla Swart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:36 am 

I agree with Jay, Kammieskroon hotel is a great place to stay! They have all the latest info and maps and are very helpfull.
Furthermore Kamieskroon also has an info center/tearoom in the local Dutch Reformed Church hall.
From the hotel you can explore all the areas from Springbok to Garies.
Very close to the hotel is the Skilpad Wild Flower Reserve (with a 2 hour walking trail or leisurely drive through) - a Namaqualand showcase, this 1 000ha reserve captures the full grandeur of the flower season. On the first ridge of hills separating the interior from the coast, the reserve catches much of what little rain blows in off the sea. In years when surrounding areas have less than splendid displays, Skilpad is magnificent. The reserve operates only during the flower season.
(* set a side a day or 2 just too spend here it is really stunning!)

Also trips to Kamiesberg, Leliefontein, Karas & Studers Pass, Hondeklip Bay, Wallekraal & Sariesam, Soebatsfontein, "Messelpad" (which really has awesome vast flower carpets) and then off course also Namaqua Reserve!

The Kamies Mountain environs are as far as plant life is concerned (and from a conservation point of view) one of the most important in Namaqualand and South Africa. According to naturalists, the wealth of flowers during spring is unequalled anywhere in the world.
I remember using a flower hotline (was an MTN cell number) to get daily updates.

i'm going into too much non-Sanparks related details now...

Hope this helps!
I'm jealous and hope you have an awesome time!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next