SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Punda Maria Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi there Rooikat :D

Saraf gave you some pretty good information, but sometimes pictures do half the talking (well for me it does :wink: ).Punda is an extrodinary camp IMHO, with it's own character.. It's build on the slope of a hill. The bulk of the units are a bit cramped compad to other camps, but not in a really bad way.

I personally prefer the units on the streetside. Altough a bit busier during the day, at night with some decent planning (park you car nicely) you can take your table+chair and have your meal on the road next to your hut! This might sound funny, but have a look yourself..
It's unforgettable to there, with a real relaxed Kruger sphere, watching all the oillamps, listen to the soft mumming of other nature lovers 8)
Well, here a few pics (we had units 6 & 7) which were all new from the inside :wink:

The other advantage, we placed the skottel road, and enjoyed it! Just remeber, dont take half the road, but just a small piece you need :wink:

The camp also has a (newish) hide, at the campingside, close to the fence. Overall, its a bit oldish, but VERY sphereful camp! I loved it despite the old appearance :D

Roadside 'bungalows'

Opposite the 'bungalows'

Communal braai area (in the background)

Layout of the other 'bungalows' (1 block =3/4 bungalows)

'Bungalows' right the top (backside)

Hope this helped :thumbs_up:

Last edited by G@mespotter on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome harrys....

I will also be at Punda from the 1 - 20 July...hope to see you there :D

Can someone tell me about the communual braai area...does everyone make his/her own fire or are you allowed to just go there with you meat and braai it on someone elses fire (asking as I will be by myself and it would be a good saving if I dont need to buy wood for these 3 weeks :D :shock: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ Mgoddard, the only communal Braai area I know of is opposite the challets on the main road up to Reception. I guess if someone has a big fire you could ask to share it.

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:08 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The safari tents have electrical plugs in the kitchen area , (the bedroom area ?) and the area beside the bathroom .
You will have to bring tour own paraffin lantern to your safari tent .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I would recommnd tent 3 - 5 . The rest are really just as good , just 3 - 5 are at the end of the cul de sac with less passing traffic (see map on website) and 6 - 8 are closer to the road leading to the staff quarters .

To me a lantern is an essential part of my packing , I allways use it .
A genuine blue Dietz paraffin lantern just can't be beaten , mine works well enough with citronella - type oil that one uses in the "bug lights" Arks mentions .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

@ Safrica: I usually send an email to either the camp manager or one of the duty managers to enquire about a certain unit. This has always worked well in the past. For my upcoming trip this month I emailed 5 camps - 3 of them replied, 2 didn't reply.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Was camping in Punda Maria inlate December. I think it was the day before new year when we were hit by a massive rain storm. We decided as it started to drizzle that we would go for a drive - test our luck. By the time we had reached the far entrance to the Mahonie Loop we couldn't see 10 meters in front of us, no exaggeration. :shock: A white sheet of rain blocked our view. By the time we had arrived back it was another half an hour later and we had to wait inside our tent before emerging at the end of the storm to find a near flood in the camp. All I can say is thank you for the ridges in the camping area!! :D

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:15 pm 

Oh boy I remember that storm!

We were out on the Mahonie loop and turned around, and we were driving a bakkie! We drove back along a causeway between 2 lakes, were 10 minutes earlier had been fields.

I haven't got photos but the main road from reception past the cottages was not a road - it was a river. I was so glad I wasn't camping.

Post subject: Re: Punda Maria Accommodation
Unread postPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:28 pm 

There is no oven in the Punda Maria kitchen - but it is a very nice looking kitchen!

I can't help you with the drive though!
Just to the left of this photo is the 2 plate stove.

2013: Dates TBC - Three weeks from Durban to Addo, Mountain Zebra, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mokala & Golden Gate.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:46 am 

And watch out for the Caracal seen in Feb this year on the Mahonie Loop! 8) :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I will be in Punda in just over 2 week's time :D

Are there communal fridge/freezer facilities available?

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Camped there a few times Josh and not aware of a communal freezer. Have heard of the shop keeping stuff frozen for people, but Depending on period not sure if they would have space available.

Am trying to source some dry ice for my Dec trip to solve the problem.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Late into the fray, as we were there in April, but some feedback on Punda.

PM really is a charming little camp, with the bungalows grouped together on terraces.
In the old days, each 'block' housed four two-bed huts, and everyone used the communal bathrooms, with only a basin in the rooms.

From what I can make out, the blocks have been redesigned to offer two-bed and three-bed bungalows, all with a super kitchenette and bathroom, and modern air conditioning.

My dad has old cine movies of Punda, taken when he was a nipper in the early fifties, complete with DKW two-stroke motor vehicle.
Although significantly changed since then, it is possible to place the buildings back then, to now.

As mentioned elsewhere, the camp ground has ridges criss-crossing it, which would allow water to collect in the hollows... beware!

Unlike most other camps, i.e. with loads of space around the bungalows, the terraces don't provide much freedom for kids to let off steam, so try not to book a long stay there if you have little ones.

What we found annoying, was the lack of braai places at the bungalows, on account of the lack of space on the terraces, and one either has to head down to the day visitors' area, or crack out the gas.

After dark, the staff come around and light the paraffin lamps, and it is almost Christmassy in effect, to stand down on the road, looking up at the accommodation!

There is an active troop of vervets in camp, so be careful about leaving perishables outdoors, or leaving the door open.
Provided you don't feed or encourage them, it is quite amusing to watch them traverse the area through the trees, or along the railings!

From Punda, a day trip to Pafuri and Crook's Corner is a doddle.
Best to book two nights at Punda, instead of having to rush to the far north, and then south again to Shing.

We didn't see a lot of game, but the birding was wonderful, with some species that just don't occur south of the Tropic.
The Golden Orb spiders are also amazing.

For any Kruger nutter, a stay in Punda has to be on your bucket list.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:47 pm 

We just loved the communal braai areas and made such good friends while chatting around the fires swopping stories, so glad this type of accommodation still exists in the park. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Joshilewis,

There is a short walking trail (Paradise Flycatcher Nauture Trail) in the camp, but I am not sure of morning walks outside the camp. Getaway guide to Kruger mentioned that there is no guided bush walks, although it can be arranged in advance

We also enjoyed the bird hide at the water hole next to the camp site. :)

Best drives close to the camp are Mahonie loop and Klopperfontein. If want to travel further Pafuri area is a must see place to visit.

One negative aspect of Punda Maria is the fact that its a "public road" for people to travel to Pafuri Border Gate and between the R524 and R525. :x A few times we found people traveling in the opposite direction from Punda Maria about 10 minutes before gate closure in the direction of Pafuri. :big_eyes:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next