Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: MATYHOLWENI CAMP IN ADDO
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:44 am 

The reason making a booking that includes moving between different cottages for eg, in one camp, on one booking, is discouraged by SANParks, is because one needs to book out at 9am and can only book in at 1pm in Addo. People tend to want to move out and in at the same time.

One can phone and book one under one booking, and then phone in again and book another under a different booking. :whistle:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks everybody, I shall try my best and use your good advice. Mattholweni itself will be great, I am sure, but as you stated, it is a little bit far from the action and I see on the web that the inside gate closes at 17h30 what means that you must turn about 16h30 and this is good viewing time at the waterholes. :hmz:
Keep well
Leana

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:52 pm 

Hi Leanawel
Having been a lurker around the forums for a few months now and picking up a lot of useful info, I felt it was time to make a positive contribution.I have just returned from spending three nights at Mathyholweni and feel there are pros and cons.
The camp is very quiet.There are only twelve chalets.As you saw on the website the chalets are fairly new and very well appointed.The only thing they do not have are aircons.The fans are very quiet and work efficiently.
The view from your deck is over the forest canopy and towards bush covered hills.
A very peaceful and beautiful spot to spend an hour or two during the heat of the day.
Also a terrific spot for the evening braai.
Mathyholweni is situated very close to the village of Colchester.About 5kms,where there is a very nice supermarket with anything you could possibly need,including drinks.
Although the shop at the main camp carries most things,it is fairly expensive.
As far as game in the Colchester section is concerned,there is game there but it is difficult to spot.The bush is very dense.The new roads are well signposted and all lead off the main southern access road to the main camp.
We saw warthog,kudu,duiker,tortoises and a large herd of red hartebeest on one of the savannah sections,on the way to the access gate to the main section.
At night an owl perched in a tree near the chalet.Nightjars could also be heard.
The distance to the access gate from Mathyholweni is about 16kms.Travelling at regulation speed it takes about 30mins.
It can be quite tedious to do this twice a day,for a visit in the morning -back for lunch and a nap and then back again for an afternoon game drive.
You could of course spend all day in the main park area,as the main camp has many amenities.
Another consideration is that staying at the main camp gives you an extra hour of game viewing a day.The gate from Mathyholweni opens ot 6.30am and the gate from the main camp into the game area opens at 6am.In the evening the gate out to Mathyholweni closes at 6pm and the gate into the main camp is open until 6.30pm.
A good thing about staying at Mathyholweni is that you get to travel the southern access road a lot.Marion Baree rarely fails to deliver.
IMHO I would suggest that a full week at Mathyholweni would be too long.I would spend two nights there and the balance in the main camp.
Our visit to Addo was the best ever.Ended 2009 with a pride of 5 lions at Woodlands,in the mid morning and began 2010 with coffee and rusks at Gwarrie Pan with a pride of seven lions.Four were at the Pan and three in the bush over the road.Later that day we say a jackal with four cubs at Carol's Rest.
The day we left there were at least 150 eliies at Hapoor.Fantastic.
Enjoy.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:D Enrico, now this is a very detailed description, one that I hoped for - many thanks :dance:

I feel exactly the same as you, I know that we shall enjoy the privacy and peacefulness at M camp, the chalets look very charming, BUT travelling to and fro (and as we use to travel very early, a nap during the warm hours of day is an absolute must) twice a day and leaving the main area quite early in the afternoons, may not be the real thing for 6 days.

I am going to try my luck with different accom at Addo main, even if it results in going to M for a night and returning to Addo. We also spend two absolutely fabulous days, 1st and 2nd Jan., saw the lions and the ellies at Hapoor, that was an experience not to forget :thumbs_up:

Thanks again, I think that you have just made up my mind.
Leana

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:37 pm 

I can tell you my story if you like but you can't laugh.

I booked for 2 nights here back in Jan 2007. The camp was just open and no spaces at Addo but thought by the time we got there the link road would be open and the park fenced etc.

We were 3 english girls of whom only be had been to a game park before for 5 days. The other 2 had never been to SA. We had spent some time in PE then whnt to Add for the day, left at gate closing and headed for the camp.

We got lost and so we arrived very late. No-one had stayed in our chalet before apparently. We drove up to chalet and it was very dark and quite overgrown still. We had to go through loads of cobwebs to get in. Loads of flatties on the wall, no problem. Stood outside and saw a big spider I didn't recognise so tried to call my SA husband in the UK, no signal. Went back in, 2 big different spiders and decided to go back to the gate to check none were poisonous. The gaurd said we must not stay there and gave us the key to another lodge. He came with us to that one.

We got inside and all looks OK then we went in the bathroom and there above the toilet was the biggest spider (a baboon spider i now know) i had every seen.

Well that was it, the others girls freaked and refused to stay there. We ended up driving at 11pm at night round roads we didn't know, past locals shouting at us etc all the way back up to Addo.

Knowing SA as I do now I cannot believe we were more scared of a spider than getting lost in the middle of nowhere late at night. :wall:

I am over my fear of spiders now I hope, am staying at Shipandani hide in a few weeks time for night. That'll be fun ! :dance:

Oh and by the way, looking back on I think the camp will be a fantastic place to stay now. I will go back one day

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:27 pm 

Dear Leana

We stayed at Mathyholweni last october for 2 nights and moved to main camp for our last night. We just loved it. The peace and quiet is super. Also it is near Colchester, very handy for all your food and drink shopping.
We also went walking on the Alexandra dunes, you can reach by going through a campsite where they will charge you a few rand to use the road, but once you drive along the river and leave your car somewhere near the road, you can walk forever to the ocean on these amazing white dunes.
We would never have found the place, if not been told by Megan from Sanparks, who gave us this very useful tip.
It is true that for game you are better off near main camp, but the drive to main camp from Mathyholweni is worth your while. the scenery is breathtaking.
We hope you will enjoy it as much as we did. Have a great time.
Viv

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:D Thanks Viv

I have already booked and am counting the days till March. Shall let you know how it was. I am sure that Matyholweni will be great. :) Fortunately I was also able to get a few nights at main camp.

Thanks again for letting me know and telling me about the dunes. :thumbs_up:

Leana

Post subject: Re: Addo: Mathyolweni camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:19 pm 

Hi,

I have made a reservation for 1 night in a CO2 cottage in Mathyolweni camp in November. I would like to know if it is possible to request a specific unit, and if so which one is best (in terms of view from the balcony/braai area and quietness) and who do I contact to make the request.

Thanks in advance.

Pat :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:14 am 
Guru
Guru

Yes, Patto, once you have confirmed your resrevation, you can contact Matyholweni reception with your reservation number and ask to be allocated a specific unit. they will be happy to do this, provided the unit is not already requested by another client.

Matyholweni reception can be reached on tel 041 4680916/8 or email tanyav@sanparks.org

You can have a look at the restcamp layout map here: Addo maps to see where the specific cottages are located.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:29 pm 

Do the "fans" in the cottages at Mathyolweni provide heat in winter?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:37 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi C-R-C
There are oil heaters provided in the cottages for the cold days.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:49 pm 

Thanks! Robin