Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is it fair?
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:23 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I agree with sharifa and duke, we have often booked what we could when it was available and then either added more nights or once even changed from camping to chalets and we only had to pay in the difference.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:38 pm 

Imberbe wrote:
The problem lies with the risk taken by SANParks in online bookings. People can easily book a large number of units, without any intent of using them or with the intent of canceling at a late stage. This would leave SANParks with a problem and other visitors without the opportunity of making a booking.

Not sure if i agree that SANParks has more risk with online bookings- when you book online you are forced to pay the full amount immediately before the booking is accepted. If you book by phoning reservations you can reserve any accommodation without paying anything. You do need to pay a 10% deposit within a certain time to secure this telephonic booking (100% if within 30 days). The main problem is the differing treatment offered on cancellation of these two bookings - in the event of an online booking you forfeit all your funds irrespective how long before the event - with a telephone booking you only lose for cancellations in the last 30 days and even then on a sliding scale.

I can not understand the logic of this difference in treatment or why online bookings with full upfront payment is seen as more risky than telephonic bookings.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:45 pm 

mikef wrote:
I can not understand the logic of this difference in treatment or why online bookings with full upfront payment is seen as more risky than telephonic bookings.
This is because the folk who take the telephonic bookings are trained to be on the lookout for the type of booking as mentioned in Imberbe's post. One of the times computers are not as good as humans :wink:

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:14 pm 

DinkyBird wrote:
mikef wrote:
This is because the folk who take the telephonic bookings are trained to be on the lookout for the type of booking as mentioned in Imberbe's post. One of the times computers are not as good as humans :wink:

Fair comment :) - however I have never had a problem when booking two units for the same period telephonically with the stated intention when doing the booking of canceling the one unit within a week while I consult with friends on which unit we wish to take. Based on above comments some might consider this abuse. :redface:

I agree fully with Vincent above that the current system is not morally defensible and as he stated it is not a question of refunding all funds - SANParks would be justified in deducting a fee to cover the cost of the booking (which should also eliminate abuse).

It is however the inconsistency in treatment that frustrates me :(

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dear forumites,

At this stage the online booking system is not intended to meet all requirements, but to serve as a convenient tool for those who know what they want - and want it now - even when doing booking amendments. :)

If you need to book accommodation that is not perfectly suitable for you, please do your booking telephonically and communicate with call centre with any changes you might wish to make.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:50 am 

SANParks - Thanks for the feedback :clap:

The online booking system is great and one of the best I have ever seen on any site of this nature. :thumbs_up:

The only problem is that it sometimes results in a potential visitor being unfairly prejudiced when making modifications / changes to their booking. That leaves them with a bad taste in their mouth and potentially stops them being ambassadors for a what is truly a unique asset of SA and overall well managed and run.

The request is not for a change to the system but simply a review of the terms and conditions relating to online modifications to bring them more inline with those applied to telephonic bookings. To prevent abuse I am sure some form of booking cancellation percentage fee could be implemented. To be honest this has little effect on those "in the know" as the alternative methods work well - but it would be great if the online system could be used to its full potential.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, mikef!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Every time that Reservation Office is talked about the solution always seems to be: "Just telephone" forgetting a lot of overseas customers, who cannot or will not pay the high cost of telephoning or who has a basic english and has difficulties in making himself understood or to understand.

Another thing: To get what you want in KNP or KTP these days, you have to book 8/10/11 months ahead and quite a lot of things can happen in such a long period.

Post subject: Re: frustration with booking requests!
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:39 pm 

Dabchick wrote:
DuQues wrote:
Dabchick wrote:
wonder what the rationale is for this?

Very likely to stop people from booking things they don't need? Thus messing up the system/

This explanation I'm happy with - it makes sense

[/color]

to me, it does not make sense because if they wanted to avoid people booking things they don't need, they'd have to apply this rule (of full payment in advance) to the other booking methods as well

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:12 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

mikef wrote:
The request is not for a change to the system but simply a review of the terms and conditions relating to online modifications to bring them more inline with those applied to telephonic bookings. To prevent abuse I am sure some form of booking cancellation percentage fee could be implemented.

Fully agree. I also made an online booking, several months before my trip. At the time the booking was exactly what I wanted, but like Micetta said, a lot of things can happen or change in such a long period.

The trouble is I cannot change my booking and pay the difference between the old/new reservation. The only option is to lose R825.00, which is a lot of money to me.

I have absolutely no problem in paying a cancellation percentage fee, therefore I wholeheartedly second mikef; please reconsider the terms and conditions of the Online Booking system. It is such a great system.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:32 pm 

Thank you to all who have participated in this debate. Your advice on how to deal with this issue is much appreciated.:clap:

I want to assure SANParks that the present online booking system meets most of my, and other visitors, needs. This has also been echoed by some of the participants in this debate. It is a vast improvement on the previous online booking system. :thumbs_up:

The best time for me to make my bookings is in the late evenings. I do not have the time during the day to hang on a telephone and make telephonic bookings or changes to my reservations. We must also take note of Micetta's remarks and not forget the needs of the overseas visitors. :doh:

It is possible to bring the necessary changes to the present online booking system. All that I am asking for is that the same rules be applied to all the booking systems available to SANParks. This will ensure fairness and less frustration. :hmz:

This year I will spend my first New Year in KNP ... looking forward to it. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Happy New Year Vincent :thumbs_up: :wink:

Post subject: Rescheduling online bookings
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:30 pm 

So, you guys might have heard about the weather in Europe. And the flights that aren't a-flighting ....

Well, ours was one of them...

I need to know for sure if a booking made by the Online Booking system can be changed via emailing reservations. I'm sure it says so (or not) somewhere on the website, ... but I lost a bit of my cool collected brainess sometime today and need some .... here it comes ... HELP.

Post subject: Re: Rescheduling online bookings
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:49 pm 

Sorry I don't have the answer Gwen....but I have asked for help for you from the Mods....

Post subject: Re: Rescheduling online bookings
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:33 pm 

Thank you! Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 54  Next