Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Restaurants in Kruger.
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:19 pm 

Please could someone give me the latest prices per person for breakfast and dinner at the Kruger camps. Many thanks.

Post subject: Re: Restaurants in Kruger.
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:13 pm 

Hi there Safarigal, welcome to the forum.

Have a look here. You won't find all you are looking for but it does have some emails that perhaps you can use to get answers.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:52 pm 

Imberbe wrote:
Prices will vary as you can order off a menu.

I wish someone would tell the waiters that...

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:16 am 

The restaurants at Kruger must surely rank as one of the biggest let downs in the Park.
They are, for the most part, abysmal.

As far as prices are concerned, I had a peek at the price list of the 'Tree' restaurants at Lower Sabie and Satara.
Breakfast was inexplicably expensive at R150 (or thereabouts) while a buffet dinner was about R115.
There was also the option of steak for around R89.

I had the misfortune of walking through the restaurant area one evening and the buffet looked pretty blooming awful.
Mercifully, the restaurant was dead.
Even wealthy European visitors know when they are being ripped off!

On the other hand, the Wooden Banana lunch/takeaway at both Lower Sabie and Satara served up a decent toasted sandwich with either chips or salad for a very reasonable R25 (for cheese and tomato, slightly more for other combinations).
For the record, the Lower Sabie sandwich was much nicer than the Satara one. Not sure why!

I wish Sanparks would take a closer look at what a shoddy job the restaurant concessions are doing.
It's embarrassing.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:22 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

jeffgordon wrote:
The restaurants at Kruger must surely rank as one of the biggest let downs in the Park. They are, for the most part, abysmal.

I totally disagree with you.
I have had many a meal in the restaurants and while it's not Michelin star cooking, the quality is more than good enough.

Oddly, these remarks are often heard about larger restaurants.
While in the army I heard them often and as my mates and I had eaten exactly the same I know most of it is totally unfounded.
Yes, for some the food could be spiced a little more, but they have to cater for everyone.
(You do not want to eat my amounts of sambal!)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:16 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Have to agree with Duco here
Might not be the top of the bill but still decent to great food.
Had very enjoyable meals at Satara and Lower Sabie (buffet) in march.
(btw, a buffet at R118 , eat till you burst, isnt overpriced :hmz:)
And menu meals at Punda Maria, Letaba and Shingwedzi.

And the best burger since years, compared to Steers, McDonalds, Wimpy or my local
fast food restaurant was at Punda Maria. :thumbs_up:

But have to agree about the service level in the bigger camp restaurants.
Can be more effecient (professional if you want)
(for me Satara was the exception. great service)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry Bert and DuQues, but I think the number of people complaining as well as the frequency of complaints tells us something.

I get the impression that the people rendering the service has not been exposed to how it can be... if their maximum is "one star", and they do their best to live up to it, how can they perform at "three star" if they have not even heard about it, nor been exposed to it?

I will join in the song, because I know why I sing. Soli Deo Gloria

TR: Darrlin, lets go to Kruugha!
TR: Looking for them Tigers near Skoo-Ka-Zoo
TR: Impala Kisses and Banana Birds
KNP March 2014: Tamboti, Olifants, Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:42 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ingrid1968 wrote:
And the Selati Train restaurant at Skukuza? :popcorn:How's the pricing, and can you do lunch?

From my experiences of all the restaurants very erratic .
You can get lunch at Selati .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:42 am 

Hi all,

Being a guide to Kruger for 8 years and spending about 200+ days a year in the park, I have spend numerous times at different restaurants in the park, using both the normal menu or the buffet inside the restaurant it self.
For me personally the food from the buffet is normally good and they all do get it wrong from time to time but overall I will recommend them to anybody.
Prices are a bit silly and maybe they can look into that to attract more people.

Now the cafeterias is a different story…… Skukuza, Berg and Dal, Pretoriuskop, Letaba are getting it right most off the time but they tend to get it wrong from time to time food wise,
but honestly none of them are very well know for there service.
Improvement is definitely needed.

Now for the worst of the bunch is Lower Sabie :( ,
with Olifants and Satara not that far behind.
Yes the restaurants is not bad but the cafeterias are getting it wrong more than right.
No let me be honest.
The cafeteria price is not cheap but not overpriced either, they tent to be in the middle comparing to places outside the park.
All that you have to worry about as will you get the right day when they do decide to get it right.

Personally best food I had in the park on number of occasions is Mopani :dance: :clap: :thumbs_up: and the service compared to the rest of the parks standards are great and they are fast.
Cant really comment on Shingwedzi and Punda Maria as tend to go there myself and not as a guide and then a braai is the norm.

Then one Question……I know the topic was lock, but to anybody know the situation at Tshowkane and Nkhulu. Did the park get new concession holders and have the situation improved at these two picnic spots?…….again sorry if I go off topic here.

Been More than 3000+ Days in Kruger and counting!!
Have slept more than 350+ night in Kruger and more coming!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I do not reckon myself as a connoisseur but I am of opion that I can judge good well prepared food from poor and also from poor/indifferent service from good.

It was December 1988 and we stayed at Punda Maria, my youngest daughter nagged me, explaining to me that we are all very tired after travelling the 600 km from Vereeniging and that mom and myself really deserve a break from preparing dinner and they had this really good idea that we should get take-aways,
I reluctantly agreed and the two of us went to the restaurant and ordered three hamburgers, two coffees and a milk shake which was promptly served neatly packed with all the trimmings.
We went to the shop and purchased some ice cream for desert.
Needless to say this menu was repeated two days later.

The worst hamburger I had in my life was in the Pretoriuskop restaurant during the 1980s, we ordered four hamburgers two coffees and two milkshakes and after a long wait were brought two coffees, two milkshakes and four plates each with a cut through bun filled with a cold patty and a few pieces of onion.
I called for the Manager and after a while a disinterested person arrived and enquired why she was called.
I then explained that we ordered hamburgers and showed what we received, she then started explaining that the new stock had not arrived and they served what they had.

I asked for the bill and lo and behold we were charged for two coffees and two milk shakes and four hamburgers, needless to say I again called for the manager, the same disinterested person pitched up and was told that the bill was not correct,
I then paid for the coffees and milk shakes and asked them to do with the "Hamburgers" whatever they preferred and suggested they either change the recipe or tell their customers when they have run out of stock.

I recall December 2005 at Olifants being served the bones of a chicken back as the meaty part of the main course.
After expressing my dissatisfaction I was told that that is all that was left.
I then called for the Manager and explained my dissatisfaction, he went to the kitchen and appeared with a few roast chickens - draw your own conclusion.

After the dinner at Olifants we moved to Satara and the dinner and service was quite good, since then we have had a few hamburgers on the verandah which were also of acceptable quality although not quite spectacular.

I recall a dinner in the Selati Restaurant August 2007 which was well prepared and served with a smile.

I also recall a breakfast at Letaba February 2008 the worst ever cooked coldish vulcanized material of some type posing as sausage, cold greasy bacon, cold curled up toast, the coffee at least was hot the service by a long faced disinterested person posing as a waiter.

I recall going to the Selati Restaurant to book a table for dinner in August 2008, the place looked a mess and we then went to the Skukuza restaurant where we had a well prepared dinner by friendly staff.

A few days later we went to the Skukuza restaurant for breakfast, we were served by friendly clean looking staff, they seem to purchase their stock from a different source than Letaba as we were served real warm tasty sausage, tasty warm bacon, well prepared egg as per order, even the toast was warm with enough butter and jam.

I also recall September 2009 we and arranged to meet friends from Jeffreys Bay at Lower Sabie for breakfast and believe me it was a repeat of the Letaba disgrace.

Maybe things have improved at Olifants, Letaba, Lower Sabie, Selati and Pretoriuskop but believe me once bitten twice shy.

What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:38 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
there is delicious "French croissants" at Satara :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:10 pm 

Just finished my pepper burger from Skukuza and it was totally divine. And reasonably priced.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:18 pm 

The trouble with getting up early to do a spot of game spotting - once the eyes are open, the tummy gets hungry, regardless of the time.

Doesn't the menu at Selati sound divine? http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/to ... tirest.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Do you suppose one could have dinner, for lunch?
I.e. can I have the dinner menu at lunch time, or would you only get sarmies for lunch?
And if you talk of 'overpriced', how much do the meals really cost?

Another question about Lower Sabie - my sister-in-law, who is a travel agent, says you cannot miss eating at LS.
But now I'm confused, because I see all these different restaurants at LS, e.g African Mango Tree Restaurant, Wooden Banana, Boma braai.
Which ones are advisable?
And where do you go?
Which one will you find on the deck overlooking the Sabie river?

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:00 pm 

Hi Ingrid,

"overpriced" is in comparison to South African restaurants outside the park.
They actually compare well to European prices.

African Mango is the restaurant at LS.
You can either eat inside or outside on a roped off area of the deck.

Wooden Banana is the name given to the separate cafes in Letaba, Olifants, Satara, Lower Sabie, Skukuza, Pretoriuskop and Berg-an-Dal.
In LS they share the deck but have a separate ordering point.

Boma braai is, I think, the new name for the old bush braai.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Well, I must say I enjoy eating buffet in the restaurants..any restaurant in Kruger! Usually after braaing for 7 nights in a row we are off to have a buffet. I'm not very finicky about what is on the menu, give me lots of meat with gravy, potatoes and I'm satisfied!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: (Pork, beef, chicken, kudu, lamb, impala will all do just great!)

In Kruger I'm not on the pudding and salad scene at all! :lol: :lol: