Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Advance Booking - Day Visit into KNP over December 2010
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:16 pm 

Good Day All,

I was wondering if it is possible to book a "day" visit into the park over the December holiday period, as I learned from experience that it is impossbile to gain entry into the park if you are "late" (normally we arrive at the gate - Crocodile Bridge - at about 06H00 only to find that we are to late, rows of cars in front of us. :( Only a certain amount of cars are permitted into the park. Family members from as far as Namibia will be visiting. :clap:
We will be staying at our "Bos Huisie" in Marloth Park - cannot wait. :thumbs_up: :cam:

Regards

BosMal

Post subject: Re: Advance Booking - Day Visit into KNP over December 2010
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:33 pm 

Hi BosMal - as easy as phoning in to reservations, requesting the date and specifying which gate. The payment of R24 per person is non-refundable if you don't take up the reservation, which must be taken up by 13:00. Although you still need to queue, they seem to be more efficient lately with processing visitors. Definitely book if it is over a weekend or on a public holiday, otherwise perhaps not necessary during week. :D

Post subject: Re: frustration with booking requests!
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 pm 

Mgulube wrote:
Wait a minute :hmz: :hmz: As far as I know, you can "ammend" your booking when booking online

of course you can...call it "amend", call it "change"; I just did that with a reservation at KTP where I switched from Mata Mata to Twee Rivieren

Post subject: to book or not to book
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:59 pm 

Hi everyone I am hoping to find some info here on the forum, before I start the long hard look for right phone # and email adds, we have 3 weeks to spend in the Kruger mid January, but we don't want to book we just want to arrive and stay at which ever camp we feel the need for for as long as we like and then move on to the next camp, because the school holidays will be over we are hoping to just do it, is this allowed or do we have to book for each camp we want to visit? we are going to be camping so no need to worry about chalets.

Post subject: Re: to book or not to book
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello there and Welcome to the forum.
Have a look at the availability under Tourism in the column on the left. and see which camps still have space.for January and that will give you some idea on how busy the Park will be at that time. You might be very lucky but its best to check first

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:14 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

You should be able to pull it of, especially since you have the camping equipment.

It is a risky strategy since KNP is extremely popular and there is high occupation throughout the year, and no longer only during school holidays ... especially in the chalets, etc.

I would however warn you that you may find that you cannot get the camp you want, when you want it. Also see to it that your conservation fees and exit permit is accurate, since you may find yourself in trouble if you loose some papers and want to leave eventually. They may keep you there forever! :twisted: :lol:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:34 pm 

ahhh thanks guys this is what happens when a blond is left to sort out the holiday :dance: it was much easier last December with all the bookings in place and everything paid for now it just does not feel so right but going to make the most of it
Keep me there forever :hmz: think i can live with that lol

Post subject: Re: frustration with booking requests!
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:06 pm 

:mrgreen: I use http://www.KrugerPark.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; also an online booking system. They are agents. You don't pay extra and you only need to pay 30 days before you go. I recently got a 5% discount from them for my next stay which will be Dec 16 - 26 Dec. Kruger won't give you that.

Satara 25 & 26 April 2014
Mopani 27 & 28 April 2014
Punda Maria 29 & 30 April 2014

11-13 May 2014 Kruger lodge

Satara 15-18 June 2014
Lower Sabie 19 - 22 June 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:22 pm 

Personally I wouldn't risk going without pre-booking although IMO it does seem like a good way to do Kruger, I would rather book and make the most of what I get without the stress or possibility of dissapointment! :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:18 pm 

One could always book and then change your itinerary whilst in the park ...

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

yes, give yourself a safety net by pre-booking then change if possible once there if the need arises.

Post subject: Is it fair?
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:08 pm 

The present online booking system is great! It gives the visitor a good idea what accommodation is available, when and where. By paying immediately ensures that SANPARKS have an immediate souce of income and improves there cash flow. :clap:

When making a reservation, the visitor often books and pays for accommodation that not always suits his/her needs. The reason for this is that it is the only accommodation available. At a later date more suitable accommodation becomes available, is booked and paid for. There is no refund when the original booking is cancelled. This I find as unfair and immoral. :naughty:

I do understand that there is cost involved in making the reservation and am therefore prepared to pay for it, but not the full amount. :x

PLEASE investigate this issue and give us a more acceptable solution. :pray:

Post subject: Re: Is it fair?
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:12 pm 

The problem lies with the risk taken by SANParks in online bookings. People can easily book a large number of units, without any intent of using them or with the intent of canceling at a late stage. This would leave SANParks with a problem and other visitors without the opportunity of making a booking.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:14 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

It is fair yes.

If you go to any shop and buy something which you do not want (say an iPhone), and you come back later to buy the laptop computer should the salesman take back the iPhone?
Not in my books.

Buy what you need, not something so you can exchange it later.
And that ties in completely with what Imberbe posted.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:00 pm 

Also, you don't have to lose anything. You can make changes to your online booking and only pay the difference between old and new reservation. Only thing is request the changes by email/phone/fax - not online.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 54  Next