Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:05 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Nope, and for two reasons. The images have to be beamed through a narrow connection, and even if that is not a fact, you pay for bandwidth...
Last month the server used 526.751.803 Kb... quite a lot. (That is site + webcam.)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:41 pm 

hi
I am new to posting and joined forum to watch satara so it does work guys :lol: anyway I just wondered why it is that when I open satara I am lucky if I get 1/4 of the pic is it just my pc?? I would post pic but no idea how :lol:
cat

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:51 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

unicorn wrote:
... I just wondered why it is that when I open satara I am lucky if I get 1/4 of the pic is it just my pc??

Hi cat. :D Since the SatCam is still new, that is one of the little glitches that will be resolved with time. It happens on my PC every now and again too, but sorts itself out after a short while.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

gwendolen wrote:

WOW, Gwen. Do we know who this guy is??? And how did you do the zooming? Do mods have special cam powers :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:20 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

No idea who that is ..

Sorry, no arks .. we don't have that "power" ... Kruger might have zoomed in on it or someone he has appointed to look out for such circumstances...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:23 pm 

Hi All! haven't been on the site for a while so its fantastic to see that Satara's cam is up running,it looks great. Quite awesome when you're sitting in Pretoria to be so close to the best place in South Africa!! But I would like to propose a vote.

All in favour of many more webcams say, I!!

I!!!!!

I hope Sanparks is promoting this Webcam to all major tourism offices around the world!! It should also have a special display at the rest camps in the park to log on when the tourists get home. And in the that way do advertising on the web page to raise money for the park! Is this already happening. Our wildlife needs as much funding as is humanly possible, after all ,GOD did trust us with his creations!!! Fantastic job been done to the guys managing the site and webcams!

With laptops and 3G networks coming in, maybe a team at kruger can supply real time sitings on different routes to the tourist in the park through 3G. This could include photos and directions to the tourist to aid the sightings? Just a thought, use it or don't use it?

Anyway GOD bless everyone with a keen interest in our environment. :dance:

Andre (aka Whoaa Luiperd!)
PS I wonder if anyone can guess what song my nickname rocks too? Clue: Whoaa Ry perd, ons ry die pad tesame...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:31 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Another one of Danie's test shots

Post subject: Satara Webcam orientation
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:34 pm 

Can someone tell me what direction the Satara web cam is looking e.g. N,NW,W SE, etc. Thanks :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:42 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Yep! Our Guru Danie tells me it is facing South East.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:33 pm 

Caught these people in action at the Orpen waterhole and looks a lot like they are handling a webcam :?:
I blurred the faces

Post subject: Web Cam Postings
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:28 pm 

Hi there
I haven't bothered you guys since Orpen Cam "came down". I now have 2 questions and will appreciate a response:
(1) WHEN is Orpen Cam ever going top "run" again?
(2) When clicking on the "post latest highlight" bar, the picture on my screen at that time is not the one displayed on the forum... is there a time indicator [e.g. within 10 seconds of the picture's appearance ???]

This morning one of the finest samples of a Wildebeest was having a drink all by its lonesome self [which in itself is a bit rare? - normally they roam in herds accompanied by Zebra?] Anyway, I clicked on that scene to share with the rest of the forum, community... a while ago I entered the site again to see "who's visiting" - and there's MY posting 11:42:40... with only a pigeon are bird having a drink. No Wildebeest !

Your advice - please?
Regards
Mac.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:40 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

The news on Orpen cam.

Your disapearing gnu: When you hit the button it's not the pic you are looking at that is posted as highlight, but the next pic that is downloaded from the cam. The page is viewed by about 54.000 people per month, so the server can be a little busy, especially during the day. Thus missing your gnu.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Macm

We have often seen lone wildebeest at Satara - when we stayed at the cottage behind the waterhole we even gave him a name = "Waldo". When watching other cams we have also been aware of lone Wildes coming to drink at those waterholes too. I think that invariably this is probably a male who has been ousted as the alpha male in the herd so hence his solitary appearances!

Enjoy the cams!

Yours in Parking
Penny

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject: Cam Postings - Lonely Gnu
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:53 pm 

Thanx Penny & Mr Q.. I alos assumed that the lonely old man was ousted buy some young upstart... must have been quite a bull to achieve that. Your "Waldo" is quite a magnificent sample. I named him 'Torro' - see his stance when he's just standing and watching the world around him - ready for any matator brave enough to cross his path.. Pity about the Cam only posting the next picture. Thats why so many "Latest highlight" postings are empty. Pity. The Orpen Cam allowed one to "copy" & "paste" the scene into an e-mail, and then send it. To you guys I assume? Wha I also appreciated was the 'collection' of pics sent in by various visitors. Allowed me to take a quick peek when I had a minute or two to spare in the office.
God Bless & thanx guys [& girls?]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

KP&?mom wrote:
I have been trying to watch the Satara Web Cam for the last three days and for some reason I can't get it to update with the new shots every 30 seconds. It seems like I just get frozen on the one there when I sign on...I can get it to change if I refresh but then I am constantly clicking on Refresh...is there something else I can do?

One thing that you may not know is that while the cam pic (when it's working :wink: ) does update every 30 seconds, the time stamp below the pic does not update with the pic. Since there are long periods when there is no activity at the WH, it can often look like the pic is not updating, but often it is (tho not at this moment :( ). If you refresh your page and the time stamp does not update, that's usually a good indicator that the cam is in fact down, but if you refresh you page and while the pic looks the same, the time stamp has updated, then the cam is likely OK, just no activity at the WH. While it would be great if the time stamp updated with the pic, seems that this is not possible ... can be a bit confusing :? until you know how it works. HTH

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next