Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Exiting Giriyondo border post
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:30 am 

3dogs, sorry to be a pain in the butt, but will you be spending a night or two in Kruger or just using it as a transit route? If it is the latter, please keep to a reasonable speed and slow down and even stop when you see other cars that are stationary at a sighting. Don't spoil it for the Kruger guests and enjoy your trip to Moz. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

thanks for all the helpful replies! Sprocky - don't worry we are spending 9 wonderful days in Kruger first :dance:
The visa thing might be a bit tricky - will investigate further. Any Aussies passed through there recently who could advise further? Oh and one more question.. As we will be returning via the same route back to Phalaborwa, do I have to ask for a multiple entry visa for South Africa at OR Tambo when we arrive?
thanks everyone

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:36 am 

EleanorMuller wrote:
The road through the Park (between Giriyondo and Massingir) has been fixed since the last rainy season, and that stretch certainly does not need a 4x4. The biggest problem on the road is that if you speed you can get a nasty surprise with hidden speed bumps - so stay at the speed limit!

Eleanor, that fixing usually lasts till the next rainy season, I have been doing that road for a long-long time, and I would for safety sake suggest a 4x4. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Crossing border to mozambique campsites
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:28 am 

Hi

For camping in Limpopo Park you can choose between Albufeira (at Massingir gate) or Aguia Pesqueira (Fish Eagle camp). AP is by far the better of the two camps as it has lovely views and is peaceful.

The road to Massingir gate is about 70km and can be done in a sedan but the road to AP will need at least a high clearance as the last 7km is road is rough. AP is about midway between Giriyondo and Massingir gate.

I suggest contact Heloise de Villiers on limpopo@wol.co.za for more info or go to the website http://www.limpopopn.gov.mz/

Happy Camping
Octo

Post subject: Re: going into limpopo park
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:58 am 

Hi

To get into Moz is no problem and one can get the Moz visas at Giriyondo border post for all Nationalities - there is no cost for South Africans to get a visa but for non SADC Nationalities there is a steep visa fee of around $80 I think - apart from this the border post is a very pleasing experience so one should not be daunted by this.

To travel from Moz into SA one has to however check the visa requirements as it is not possible to get a visa for certain Nationalities at the SA border.

As for visiting Limpopo the game experience is not comparable to KNP so if this is what you are after then I would suggest stick to KNP - but if you want to experience the Park or make a trip to the coast (about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from Massingir gate) then of course the trip will be worth it. You can go to http://www.limpopopn.gov.mz/ to get more info or mail Heloise at limpopo@wol.co.za

Happy travelling
Octo

Post subject: Advice on trip in February 2011 to Limpopo Transfrontier Pk.
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:06 pm 

We are planning our 8th trip to the Kruger and would like to hear any advice on
driving from Giriyondo to Masinger Dam and further on to Chokwe and Xai-Xai and return.
How are the road conditions in Ferbruary 2011?
We have rented a Daihatsu Terios 4x4 and would like to hear if its safe to drive all the way to Xai Xai.
Does anybody know about petrolstations on the the road between the Dam and Chokwe.

Magne Sandgaard
Denmark

Post subject: Re: Advice on trip in February 2011 to Limpopo Transfrontier Pk.
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:47 pm 

Hi Magna

Giriyondo is open from 8am - 4pm and is a pleasant border control point. Make sure you are not taking any new unopended expensive goods with you as they may request for duties (you are permitted to take any material reasonably required for a holiday) and you are permitted upto $50 per person in food to take across the border (anything more and you may be required to pay some duties although this is seldom the case).

Your car will be fine - just make sure you have the papers and permission from the rental company to take the vehicle across the border. Remember to buy your Moz 3rd party insurance at Giriyondo or Massingir gates.

Giriyondo to Massingir gate is 70km or around 1 3/4 hrs. It is a dirt road with some short sections requiring slow driving. A sedan can do this main link road although in heavy rain a high clearance vehicle is a lot better.

Limpopo Park has chalets and camping at Massingir gate and also midway at Aguia Pesqueira. AP will require a high clearance vehicle to get to the camp which has lovely views over Massingir dam. Chalets are very well priced at around R370/night for a 2 bed chalet with small kitchen and bathroom. You can get more info from Heloise at limpopo@wol.co.za or go to the website http://www.limpopopn.gov.mz/

Petrol stations are at Massingir and Chokwe and Xai Xai.

From Massingir to Chokwe is around 1 1/2 hours or 100km - the road is full of potholes but the (very) good news is that the road is busy being resurfaced although this should only be finished later this year sometime.

From Chokwe you can take a left (at the first petrol station) and cross over the Limpopo and head down to the EN1 which I think is around 1 1/2 hours or you can head direct through Chokwe to Macia where you hit the EN1 and take a left to Xai Xai. These roads are narrow with the odd pothole,but OK.

I would only go to Xai Xai if you are planning to spend a couple days or more at the coast where there are plenty of excellent and good priced places to stay

Hope this helps

Post subject: drive into Moz
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:31 pm 

Hello

I read that there are two border crossing to Mozambique Pafuri and Giriyondo.
In august we want to drive with our rented car from South Africa into Mozambique ( Vilankulo ).
The trouble is that for save money we rent a Toyota corolla. (no own risk and fully insured).
My question is: by slow carefully driving is it possible to drive to Mozambique by 2x2

Which are the easiest road to Moz. Pafuri or Giriyono.
Our preference is Pafuri....

Is it possible..

Post subject: Re: drive into Moz
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:58 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Serv, welcome to the forums!

Pafuri gate looks the most promising for you when you look at a map indeed.
Into GLTP and out via Mapai gate.
Just one little problem (aside from missing the best bit of Kruger by only driving through it).
That bit is 4x4 only!
Out Giriyondo gate you can go with a sedan, but then you have to go to Massingir for the same reasons, and it would be off your direction by a large bit.

Back to the drawing board?

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:56 am 

I hope you can help me with the route.... we've been in SA for the 4th time and now we want to show my son (10), daughter (16) SA and Moz.

This was the original plan based on a tough ride by 2x2 car.... a flat tire, slow driving is no problem.
But it's have to be possible

Doe's anyone have an alternative........... ???? In this plan the circle was round.

Thanks a lot in advance

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:42 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unless you have a 4x4 you will not be able to do the Drive Pafuri - Mapai - Machaila - Pamelane - Mabote - Mapinhane - ( Valankulo ) bit.
Pafuri - Mapai is 4x4 only.
You will probably be refused entry at Pafuri border post, or get stuck.

I would suggest remodeling your route a bit:
Land at JHB and drive to Sabie or such.
Do the Panorama Route, Gods window and the falls, two days should suffice.
Then enter Kruger at Orpen, book Tamboti or Satara or go up to Olifants if you want to show the kids some of the more northern areas of Kruger.
After that work your way down and exit at Crocodile Bridge so you can enter Moz at Komatiepoort and work your way up the coast. Several National Parks are on the way.

Don't forget that you have to have permission from the rental company to enter Moz with the car!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:21 pm 

serv.
I put a similar question up and the guys and gals that know seem to all agree you need a 4x4.
I'm looking at car swop from sedan to 4x4 so if i get that sorted will let you know.

I have driven cross country in moz in the south don't even think about it without a 4x4 you wont get 10 mtrs saw lots of people stuck in various 4x4's.

this might upset some but just having a 4x4 vehicle doesn't mean you can drive on the sand, its the driver as well.
if you haven't driven one don't assume the vehicle will get you there just because it is a 4x4 and don't get conned by hire company into some fancy vehicle.
pretty doesn't mean it works, when we went we used a beat up bakkie with a home adapted low range box and huge ground clearance,we weren't the best looking but we didn't get stuck!!

Who are u booked car hire through, we had massive probs with insurance to cross borders but eventually got it sort of sorted!!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:48 am 

TonyP wrote:
There is no bridge over the Limpopo at Mapai. You have to drive through the river and the roads are deep sand. Don't even think about doing this without a 4X4 and plenty of experience. I have done that route quite a few times in my Land Rover Defender, always with at least 2 other 4X4's and although it is not technically difficult, you never know what the river will throw at you.

I urge visitors to take TonyP's advice seriously!

Due to the unpredictable nature of rivers in Africa (deep sand and sometimes driftsand / quagmire below) the last thing you want, is to be stuck in the middle of a riverbed (in 35 plus degrees C) and NO cell phone coverage (or any available means of assistance...)

I SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER NATIONAL PARK!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:53 pm 

Thank you very much: DuQues, simon boaz, lee lewis, TonyP.
You convinced us to rent a 4x4
After a discussion with my wife we decided to rent the cheapest 4x4.
it cost us 9904 rand and the cross border 1266 (europe car)…..
Is there a cheaper way?….. for u its no problem that the car is older or not so fancy.
We saved money for this trip but its not Top End.
We start the trip in august

1) Do you now a cheaper company in Johannesburg?
2) Can you check the new route

7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 Drive Pafuri - MapyPai - Machaila - Pamelane - Mabote - Mapinhane - ( Valankulo )
12 - 13 - 14 - 15 Drive the coastline down - ( Tofo )
16 - 17 ( Bilene )
18 ( Maputo )
Thank in advance

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:24 pm 

Hi again Serv, your plan looks great.
What make and model of 4X4 have you rented and from what company?
It doesn't have to be a fancy one as long as it has low range gearing for the soft sand, and don't forget to lower your tyre pressure in the sand.
You will need a portable mini compressor to pump them up again when you get onto reasonable roads again.
I see you are staying in Sabi which is not far from where I live (25 kilometers) be sure to phone me when you arrive in Sabi and I'll get you sorted out.
Along the road from Mapai you will be bush camping, so make sure you have everything you need including water.
Serv, please don't take that route lightly, those place names you have mentioned along the way are nothing more than little African villages where you can't buy anything except the odd Doz M beer and if you go on your own without another vehicle and have a problem, it could be quite serious.
You are deep in the African bush.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next