Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vhembe what car do I need?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:41 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Lets just get some clarity first. You speak about Vhembe. I presume that is Vhembe Wilderness Trails Camp in Mapungubwe you are alluding to?

The road inside Mapungubwe leading to to Vhembe is badly corrugated and rocky. It is an uncomfortable drive, especially if you drive a bit faster say 30kmh plus. The last section is classified as 4x4.

Having said that, yes you will be able to reach it with a sedan. You will have to drive very carefully if you do not want to damage your car though. Do not make the mistake of driving the direct (4x4) route to confluence from there in a sedan! The last section will damage an ordinary vehicle.

So short answer: Yes, you will be able to reach it, but drive slowly and carefully.

Also, it is one of the best places in the entire SANParks to stay. Don't miss it.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:27 am 

Thank you both Meandering Mouse and Imberbe. It's always with great pleasure to be on the forum and receiving so fast reply on once questions. It's a great help. :clap: :D

We do refer to Vhembe Wilderness Trails Camp and as I understand the small car will take us there. Watching the pics we presume that just staying in the the camp is worthwhile. So once we're there we just skip the driving and enjoy our stay. Should we change our minds we stick to 20-30 km/h.

Only 3 months waiting now for the first visit this year to our favorite spots on the planet!

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Enjoy your stay.. and I agree 100% with Imberbe. The camp is a real wilderness experience. If you do take drives out to the hide, or confluence, it will be worth it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:55 pm 

Thank you again.
We have a little discussion, should we book for 2 or 3 nights?

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Daffy, if you can, I would honestly book for 3 nights. If do do decide to do a bit of driving the confluence and broad walk are places to stop a while. The hide is also another place to spend some time.

The Vhembe camp is also "wild and beautiful", very atmospheric. Each hut has a wonderful view. It is difficult to describe. The kitchen and eating area are also a pleasure.

Just remember: take everything you need, there are no shops for a long, long way

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:58 pm 

3 nights would be a minimum stay for Mapungubwe. 2 is too short. 3 nights leave you with two proper days to enjoy this unique park. And remember to book for the heritage tour to Mapungubwe hill itself. :thumbs_up:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:49 pm 

Daffy wrote:
We are regular visitors of knp. Doing in april 2 weeks and plan another 2 weeks in novemer this year. In november are thinking of 3 nights Vhembe as a quiet end of ou trip. We plan do rent a simple sedan car and wonder if that will do for Vhembe. Can we get there, and once we're there, is driving around possible? On the map we see a lot of closed roads.

If you hire a green car you dont have any problems.

A friend :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:16 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A warm welcome to you Bissetje :D always a pleasure to meet a Mapengubwe fan :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:52 am 

A very welcome to you, Bissetje. It's always good to meet an (old?) helpfull friend. :o
Have btw no idea where to hire a green car. Most cars I did hire were white :hmz:

Yesterday I trided to book on online and had no problems booking for KNP. Vhembe Wilderness Cabin was available, but in the list of "my bookings" the cost says R 0,00. So I couldn't finish payment and therfore no booking. I'm a little concerned about this, because there is only one cabin available.
I did mail to reservations, but any clues are welcome.

23-27 Shingwedzi
27-30 Letaba
30-04 Satara
04-08 Lower Sabie

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe: Vhembe Wilderness Camp
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:05 am 

Sad to say this but Mapungubwe National Park has discontinued the Vhembe Wilderness Trail. In its place the four Wilderness Cabin units at the Vhembe Wilderness Camp are now available for individual accommodation reservations.

Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe: Vhembe Wilderness Camp
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:20 am 

The method of booking Vhembe has been changed. A while back you could book individual huts. Now you book the whole camp, with a base rate of 4 people. Its still very resonably priced though. The main thing is it allows you total privacy which is what Vhembe is all about.

Post subject: Re: Leokwe cottages
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Arks,

When you plan a visit to Mapungubwe the question is more about the time of the year you going to visit than the specific unit. Avoid the dry months and rather come after the rains have fallen early in the year. After July the Limpopo dries up and you will find cattle herds crossing the dry river bed to graze in the park maybe up to Nov/Dec before the river flows again. The landscape is also very dry, while after the rains there will be more vegetation and the park will look much greener.

You can view a few TR to see the difference. We stayed at Leokwe and Vhembe camp and can recommend both. Vhembe camp is very rustic and only runs on solar power up to 8 pm. Its very private and it will only be your group there. A small rock pool can be found behind the camp, which was dry when we visited in October, but you can fill it yourself.

I think the P units at Leokwe are the ones facing the cliffs while the other are on the opposite side of the road. Both are great, but most people might prefer the unit looking towards the cliffs.

Here are pics of Vhembe camp taken in October 2011.

Post subject: Re: mapungubwe visit
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:12 am 

Pleased I have just spotted this thread as I am planning to go up in early June. I don't know the park at all (spend all my time in the KTP) so thanks for all the good advice MM and Imberbe - has anyone been to the Vhembe Wilderness camp? I thought 2 nights there, 2 nights Leokwe and 2 at the Limpopo TC ? Any recommendations for which way round? Thanks so much

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:39 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Indiajane, you need a high clearance vehicle for Vhembe. Also depending which road you plan to drive to get there (via Alldays or via Musina) you have to report to the reception which is on the eastern side (Leokwe side) and if you drive Alldays you will have to backtrack to get to LFTC if that is your first stay.

Enjoy, it's a lovely place.

Edit: If you go to KTP you will have a high clearance vehicle :slap:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:29 am 

Chirinda, thank you - finding my way around this part of the world which we don't know at all ..... so any advice gratefully received. The only booking I could get for the week we can do the trip is (in this order) 2 nights LFTC, 1 night Leokwe (in a CO2/4 - which I understand is one of the lower number units that isn't against the cliff??) and then 3 nights in Vhembe. Yes, you are right, I do have a high clearance vehicle - any spare time and money is spent in the KTP and I have done a couple of trips into Mabuasehube. We are travelling via Pretoria and then Marakele where we hope to spend 2 nights - any advice on best routes appreciated. We are looking so forward to a new experience.