Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Successful Predators
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:29 pm 

The spotted hyena is a very successful predator.
It is in fact a far more successful predator than the lion.
It is often the lion that scavenges food from the hyena rather than the other way around.
Prey species allow the hyena to get closer than any other predator.
Scientists don't know why this is the case.
A reason for their success is that prey species are unmindful of the hyena's staying power and drop from exhaustion within 1.5 - 5 kms.
Hyenas can gallop at a top speed of 60 kph for up to 3 kms, can maintain 40 - 50 kph for several kms more and can lope tirelessly at 10 kph mile after mile.
Hyenas eat as fast as possible and compete for food in this way at a kill rather than fighting.
The hyena can consume up to a third of its own weight compared to a quarter by the lion.
The quarreling of hyenas around a kill serves to attract other clan members.
Where there are fewer hyenas around a kill (eg. 2), they will feed in silence.
Other predators waste up to 40% of their kills, whereas the spotted hyena eats virtually everything.
Hunting success rates for a single hyena is about 26% (75% of their hunting is solitary) and for more than one hyena they are successful 43% of the time.

The lion can maintain a top speed of 50 - 60 kph for a distance of 100m.
The success rate of solitary hunters is only 17 - 19% compared to 30% when two or more lions are involved. Lions apparently don't learn to take wind direction into account during a hunt (this according to research).

I have twice witnessed packs of hyenas hunting zebra close to Satara on a night drive and close to Sirheni on a night drive.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:04 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Very interesting Bothali. I always thought all Hyaenas were scavengers, but this is evidently not the case. :? Wikipedia has information on Hyaenas that supports your points:
Quote:
Hyenas are also highly intelligent predators, even more intelligent than the lions (some scientists claim they are of equal intelligence to certain apes). One indication of hyena intelligence is that hyenas will move their kills closer to each other to protect them from scavengers; another indication is their strategic hunting methods.

and
Quote:
Despite common belief, only some species belonging to this family are scavengers: while the brown and the striped hyena derive most of their diets from scavenging, the spotted hyena is not only a real predator, but also the most effective predator on the African savannah. The Aardwolf usually eat insects like termites.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Spotted hyaena are very adaptable animals which will adept to the local situation. In the Makuleke Contract Park in the North of the KNP the spotted hyaena is considered to be the top predator due to the low lion density. Down South in the KNP I suspect that spotted hyaenas are mainly scavengers due to a high lion density.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:08 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

As in many cases it is a matter of interpretation of the facts.

I would not at all dis-agree with the opinion that Bothali put on the screen!

Spotted Hyena are indeed very capable predators, and in areas of high density they are often the main predator in a given area!

This does however not change the fact that they are also scavengers! It is a well known fact that they actively scavenge, and will even follow animals such as Leopard, Cheetah and Wild dog to scavenge their kills.

In fact most other predators are also scavengers!

Madach makes a valuable point in pointing out that Hyena often play different roles according to what circumstance dictate.

To state that: "the spotted hyena is not only a real predator, but also the most effective predator on the African savannah" is purely a matter of interpretation. How do you judge which is the most effective predator? Different sets of criteria would give you different answers!

Hyena are truly wonderful animals, and do not deserve the "bad press" they often get! :wink:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:25 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tabs wrote:
madach wrote:
Down South in the KNP I suspect that spotted hyaenas are mainly scavengers due to a high lion density.

I am not sure that this is true Madach but am also not prepared to argue the point as you have much more experience than I do of Kruger and the animals that exist in the southern part of the park :cry:

I'm also not sure of it so arguing the point is pointless :lol: The way to make sure is probably to ask Gus Mills.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Wild dogs have a hunting success of between 40 - 85% - I don't know what the figures are for the spotted hyaena as they do not always hunt in packs - I have seen many lone hyaenas on the hunt but I do not believe that wild dogs ever hunt alone - so as far as I am aware the wild dog is the most effective large predator in Africa.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:37 am 

There are many sources that say that wild dogs are the most effective predator in Africa and that this is due to their hunting in packs. From what I can gather, leopards are probably the second most effective followed by hyena.

With regard to lion hunting behaviour, a lot of the research seems to have been done on the Serengeti and elsewhere on the African plains, where the landscape is different and hunting patterns would probably not be the same here.

Post subject: Animal activity at various times of day...
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have always been told most of the predators are active in the early morning, evening, and some at night. This makes sense in terms of escaping the midday heat and not hunting at this time. Does this pattern change in the winter though when the midday heat is less oppressive?

Post subject: Re: Animal activity at various times of day...
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Graham,

a lovely question.

Most predators are opportunistic, think of the domestic cat. They will kill if the opportunity comes their way.

My experience, however, has often been that there has been a certain predictability.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hmm yes that makes sense. It would be interesting to track Lions and Leopards with gps to see if their daily movements change between summer and winter..

I wonder if the same daily routine pattern applies to other mammals like rhino, elephant etc?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Graham, Wilddog has been the most predictable for me. They have a very definate social structure that helps in the hunt. They also have a high metabolic rate that makes it almost impossible to hunt in the heat of the day.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Is this the case even in winter when it does not get too hot? Will be up early for Wild dogs every morning!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:06 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
There are always surprises that awaits. Have seen Honey badger @ 12:00 in summer on the tar road between Lower Sabie and Tshokwane. Animals don't always follow the manual :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Boorgatspook wrote:
There are always surprises that awaits. Have seen Honey badger @ 12:00 in summer on the tar road between Lower Sabie and Tshokwane. Animals don't always follow the manual :wink:

That's 'cos they daint write the manual :wink:

They (who is 'they' btw?) say that it's a waste of time going on a game drive mid-day - yet my experience is that in winter game is hopping about all day - so predators have probably sussed that out!

(Usain Bolt August 2012)

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:48 am 

My feelings are that the only predictable thing about animals is the unpredictability!
and I am never not amazed by some happening every time we visit a park.