Skip to Content

Marakele: Bushwalks

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

ehuiss

Marakele: Bushwalks

Unread postby ehuiss » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:25 am

Hello everybody,

We are going to stay in Kololo Game Reserve for a week and we'd like to visit Marakele NP as well. We rented an 4x4 x-trail to explore the park. I also saw one can make bushwalks. Is this comparable with a wilderness trail in KNP (big 5 habitat) ? We did 2 in KNP and liked it a lot.
Thanks for any response.
Erik

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: bushwalks Marakele

Unread postby Imberbe » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:23 pm

Marakele does have elephant, rhino, lion, leopard and many of the other big animals. I don't think they have buffalo at the moment, since they were removed due to precautions against certain animal diseases.

The area in which you will walk will contain all of these animals, though their numbers and distribution within the park may make it less likely for you to meet some of them than in say Kruger National Park. You do have a good chance of seeing rhino on foot, since they are plentiful in the walking area. But as always, it is the luck of the draw as to what you see on the specific day.

Doing a walk in Marakele is absolutely worth it. I can recommend it. :thumbs_up:
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Return to “Northern Parks”