Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:04 pm 

Thanks for the advice :)How cold does it get at night? We are going in mid June? What kind of animals can I expect to encounter inside the camp.Just curious.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Jeanne,

Im used to go camping in KNP during July, do not underestimate the nights. Altough most foreigners smile when reading this, the thing is, when stay in SA / Kruger you get used to the nice day temprature, but then the nights are chilly...not freezing but not hot either. Depends on which camp (close to water or not), but say generally between 2-7 degrees Celcius.

The cold doesnt matter when using huts, but when you go camping, take warm sleepingbags etc. I once made that mistake...and will never again :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes, I agree with GS, people underestimate how cold it gets at night when camping in Kruger in winter. Night temperatures can drop to below 5 degrees and sometimes even close to zero. If you are not prepared for that, you are going to be very very cold. Take along warm sleeping bags, those rated to -2 to -5 degrees C work well, preferrably the monk's cowl type with a hood, to keep the head warm. Take along a warm jacket, pants, a beanie and gloves or the nights and early mornings, dress in layers so that you can peel them off as it gets warmer. You'll end up in shorts and a T-shirt by day, and add the layers as night arrives.

Post subject: Re: Balule Satellite Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:12 pm 

Guys, have a look here - New measuring weir in Olifants River.

I might have been there at a bad time, but there is a lot of construction activity to and fro over the bridge and I cannot help wondering if game might be keeping away while this all goes on.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Balule Camp
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:39 pm 

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I love going to Balule. My wife and I have been in Kruger regularly for the last ten years but we always feel most at home in Balule. Throughout the night elephant, hyaenas(patrolling the fence) lion and buffalo regularly pass by.
It's always a good place to leave from early in the morning. We have seen many lions and often 2 male cheetah down the old main road (S90) to Satara. Leopard is often across the river on the dirt road to Olifants and near to the Olifants Bridge on the tar.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:48 am 

Here are some pics of the camp. Sorry about the pics being a bit dark, it was really overcast while we were there.

Lots of shade available but remember to watch out for flooding if you have a floor tent... some areas turn into mini dams.

Post subject: Re: Balule Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:44 pm 

stevhil wrote:
We are staying at Balule next week, pls advise the following:

1. Does the sunset drive out of Olifants pick one up at Balule or does one have to drive to Olifants catch the sunset drive and is one then able to self drive back to Balule in the dark? Or is it is just not possible to do a sunset drive if staying at Balule.

They do collect you at Balule, and drop you off afterwards, so you can do a sunset drive from Balule.

Quote:
2.Is there still a river walk from Balule.If so please advise approx times and costs.

Not up to date on costs - but yes, one books at Olifants and then leaves from Olifants around 9/9.30am with the guides, who then drive you to the spot they walk from.

Quote:
3.is it better to check in to Balule at Satara or Olifants(coming from the south)?

One can only check in at Olifants - so allow enough time to get to Balule. Its about a 10km drive, very scenic.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: Re: Balule Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Steve, you have chosen one of Kruger's best kept secrets.

I think that hut number six has the nicest position. It is such a small camp, however, that there is little to worry about.

Have a lovely trip.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
A very warm welcome to you Travellini :D

Utensils are not supplied for travellers, so it would be important to get the basics. There is also no electricity, so stocking up with some form of lighting would also be essential. There is a communal freezer and boiling water is available in the communal kitchen.

Are you staying at any other camps? Many things can be purchased in Phalabora, Havyview or Hoedspruit. I find that the prices are better and the range of goods is wider than the camp shops.

You would need the basic cutlery, plates, cups and utensils. Don't forget the barbeque equipment either. I also like to have a flask for coffee on the drives.

I would also suggest a cooler bag of sorts. It is possible to stock up on ice regularly at the camp shops. I find that keeping things cool can be rather a challenge.

It is very dark, so headlamps and some form of communal light would also be important.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:57 pm 

Hello

A question ......... are the stands/sites numbered and can one book a specific site (a la Tsendze) or is it first come first serve ?

Graham

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:01 pm 

First come first served! One word of advice, check the prevailing wind direction as well as you can. This is not for fire hazard or possible dirt blowing into your face while having a braai or the direction of the braai smoke maybe blowing into your face. It is for a sound sleep and not being woken up suffocating on the horrid smell of Hyaena passing wind in close proximity. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:08 pm 

Just the newest space view!

Post subject: Re: Check in at satellite camps?
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:30 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

It is a satellite of Satara, but you can check in at Olifants.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Check in at satellite camps?
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:17 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

From what I remember on the booking information it says check in for Balule is at any of the main camps, preferably Satara. Other satellite camps have specific main camps or gate to check in.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Post subject: Re: Balule in October
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:47 pm 

There are two gas freezers at both the camping and hut sections of Balule. They may not freeze your meat but the freezers will keep your fresh items cold.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next