Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Renting a car in Nelspruit Airport
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:25 pm 

Hi - I think your questions have been answered, but I'll throw my two cents in as well: I hired a car from Nelspruit last November, and booked with Thrifty through their UK website, which was easier as I could book and pay direct via a UK website in pounds. Also, they were a lot cheaper than the others, particularly for an automatic with unlimited mileage :D The actual booking was then handled by Dollar/Budget at Nelspruit - I was very pleased with their service, and the car, particularly as the queue for Avis was out the door and Dollar/Budget had no queue at all.

I did get an international drivers license just in case (it only takes a few minutes at the post office in the UK), but it wasn't necessary as they just took the UK license (both the photo card and paper counterpart were asked for). Good thing it wasn't necessary anyway, as I forgot to pack it in the end :redface:

Post subject: Re: Renting a car in Nelspruit Airport
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:42 pm 

Only thing I can add is to give Carhire3000 a try from the UK. Certainly, in the last 3 years I have used them, they have always been cheaper than going to the "main" 2 or 3 hire companies, despite getting a voucher from them for either Avis or Hertz

Aside from that, good luck and have fun in paradise

Mike Goss

Post subject: Toyota Avanza big enough for 5 adults without luggage?
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:04 pm 

Hi, would a Toyota Avanza be big enough (comfortable) for five adults without luggage? The rental company offered us such a car plus trailer.

Need it for Kruger.

Post subject: Re: Toyota Avanza big enough for 5 adults without luggage?
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:44 am 

Had an AVANZA as a company car for a year: If the adults are of average size, you should be OK. I do remember that the second row seats offer limited leg (knee) space for taller people, though.

I SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER NATIONAL PARK!

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:11 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Received a Nissan Grand Livina this year at OT instead of a Avanza
And very pleased.
Had enough room for 5 adults and ample packing space.
Avanza is a bit to tight for comfort imo

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:02 pm 

I met a family in St. Lucia - 5 adults (2 gents, 3 ladies) in an Avanza but with luggage, I'm asking if it is comfortable enough - they said: yes, it is ... as far as I can see, it doesn't looked like that :redface: :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:30 pm 

if you can get a verso over the avanza i'd rather do that.

when i see a avanza taking a corner i"m always worried it might tip over. and it is very cramped by the looks of it

Post subject: What small bus for the parks?
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:56 pm 

Hi, we went to Kruger recently, in a 10-seater Toyota Quantum. We were quite happy with the car but there was one big problem: the windows for the passengers behind the driver.

Only some of the windows could be opened a bit which was not only bad for people with cameras but for the rest as well 'cause the windows were tinted which means the view was very restricted.

Therefore we would never again go in a Toyota Quantum into one of the game reserves.

Is there a small bus where all windows can be opened in order to allow each and every passenger to use a camera/binocular?

Hope to get some good advice.

Post subject: Re: What small bus for the parks?
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Try the nissan Primastar, they are well appointed, and BIG windows that open wide. :thumbs_up: Alsogood enough to take the whole family and IMHO a bit more comfy. :wink:

Post subject: 4x4 Hire Advice for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:19 pm 

Hi Forum,

I am due to arrive in Kruger on 4th April this year and I was wondering if there was any recommended 4x4 car hire companies that I could book with?

I am looking at picking up the vehicle from Nelspruit Kruger Airport for 8 days.

The best quote I have had so far is £347 for a Daihatsu Terios.

Post subject: Re: 4x4 Hire Advice for Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:24 pm 

Have a look at www.carhire3000.com - best prices I have found so far.

Addo
Mt. Zebra

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Welccome WELSH_ASH
I just want to point out that a 4x4 is not necessary in Kruger as all the main roads are tarred. The dust roads can be easily driven in an ordinary Sedan car. Having said that it is nice to have a car that is fairly high off the ground as to be able to see a little better.
So dont spend extra money on a fancy 4x4 . I am not really up to date with the latest cars etc so I am sure there are other mites who can give advice.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:40 pm 

Thanks all for the advice so far.

This is my 4th Kruger visit, the 1st and 3rd times I have been in a 4x4 which has been a little better in spotting game because your higher off the ground.

However, I do agree that there is a premium to pay for this which I am trying to weigh up.

Maybe a Toyota Yaris will do fine! :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:03 pm 

WELSH_ASH wrote:
Hi Forum,

I am due to arrive in Kruger on 4th April this year and I was wondering if there was any recommended 4x4 car hire companies that I could book with?

I am looking at picking up the vehicle from Nelspruit Kruger Airport for 8 days.

The best quote I have had so far is £347 for a Daihatsu Terios.

The best company I have dealt with are these people.

However the downside is that you pay on the day you pick up your car and it's priced in Rands. You are gambling with the exchange rate. If I'd booked with them this time it would have cost me £200 more from the original quote.

So this year we booked with www.auto-europe.co.uk/.
They price in GBP and its a fixed price so you don't get a shock when the Credit Card bill arrives.
They are OK but we did have a problem with whoever transcribed the booking. My voucher stated 01/01/11 but Budget were told 11/01/11 so there was no car. I never did get to the bottom of whose fault it was. With Wayne & Lettie you get personal service and they are on hand to sort out any issues.

Post subject: Triton Vs Hilux Vs Ranger Vs Nissan
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:58 pm 

Hi everyone , I'm sure you know those cars better than we do. So maybe if someone could give me a nice advice? We have the choice between those four rentals :

Toyota Hilux 4x4 double cab
Ford Ranger
Misubishi Triton
Nissan 4X4 double cab

Which is best for you?
thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next