Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Macro Photography
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:02 pm 

I always look at other peoples equipment and marvel at the wide variety of equipment and special features that is available.

You have an extremely capable "bridging" camera and a lens that runs from equivalent 24-720mm - that really is impressive.

As a family we still have 2 Fuji cameras in regular use and they are responsible for some very good and high quality images, so don't for a moment think that you are inferior to anyone else. And you will find that with a little bit of interest and time, you will be able to post photo's that will make us all jealous.

Your macro function will allow zoom and will then focus at a minimum of 2m.

Your super macro function will not allow zoom (it will only shoot at widest zoom) and will focus anything from 1cm to 1m that should give you a lot of good results, but (as mentioned elsewhere) insects don't take kindly to having a lens thrust at their compound eyes, so you might have to experiment as to which mode suits which situation ..... isn't that the fun of it ...?

We don't inherit the earth from our parents - we borrow it from our children and theirs

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:13 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Thanks so much raptor, that is very heartening. :cam:

So looking forward to getting familiar with it, and then can't wait to let it loose in KNP!!! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:00 pm 

I haven't really been on the photographic forums a lot recently so I'm not sure how you're going with your new Fuji .....

I knew I had this somewhere on the harddrive - This was taken with the Fuji S5700 on macro .... handheld, poor light, and whatever other excuses .... and I thought it was fairly respectable. Your HS10 should be able to capture great images...

DSCF3332C by Raptor142, on Flickr

We don't inherit the earth from our parents - we borrow it from our children and theirs

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:07 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Wow Raptor142, if I ever get to produce anything like that.....................!!!!
Wonderful shot. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:16 pm 

I look forward to seeing yours ....

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:23 pm 

:redface: :redface: SO reading on laptop, suggests I rephrase that ....

..... I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say that we ALL look forward to seeing your photographs.....!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:37 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Cheers!!!
Your SO has a sense of humour!!!

My SO and I migrate south next week from the UK, for our usual 6 months in Port Edward KZN. I plan to start practising on the resident birds and flowers in our garden, and work up to our visit to KNP in December!!!

Will definitely show you mine, if they come out ok!!! :whistle: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Evening all!
Seems we have a small invasion of locust! Found 4 of them among my plants this evening.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:32 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Great photo of the waterlily Raptor142 :thumbs_up: and Rumuruti.... a great photo of a horrible creature.... :shock:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:28 pm 

Caracal wrote:
Great photo of the waterlily Raptor142 :thumbs_up:

Much appreciated from the upper echelon .... thanks

Caracal wrote:
and Rumuruti.... a great photo of a horrible creature.... :shock:

...and that's why we love spiders :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:43 pm 

@Rumuruti - did you ever try the Sigma 150mm Macro before you got your Nikon 105mm. I have looked at the MTF graphs of both, and the Sigma appears to have an edge ... particularly in the finer detail curve ....? and has a slightly greater working distance too...

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Raptor, no I did not try any other lens. Friend of mine let me use his 105 mm and I just loved it. I like it's weight and now use it with closed eyes!
Maybe will see if any of my camera freaks has the Sigma to lend me!! :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Being able to go to the nearby mountains during weekends enables me to pass a lot of the time in the woods and one of the things I've been taking pictures of are the mushrooms, already have a nice collection and slowly naming them

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 pm 

Any information and help is appreciated ....

I also love mushrooms (not the eating so much .... :tongue: ), I shot this one for a brochure It wasn't good enough to publish though (yes I know it's not actually a macro shot) ...
DSC_8587 by Raptor142, on Flickr
I couldn't on this one, but I normally like to get down and dirty and photograph the fins under the mantle but it's normally very tricky on the lighting .....

Check out this "minor error" with the rainbow reflection, from the lens, bang smack over my subject ..... live and learn ..... it does give a fairy-like feel ... :tongue:
DSCF4050 by Raptor142, on Flickr

.... and just to prove that it is a mushroom - here is YO showing "great surprise" at the monster fungus...
DSCF4045 by Raptor142, on Flickr

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Raptor,
Where do we start?
First pic, the picture is nice as it is but for brochures its confusing. Whoever looks at it really doesn't know if you're supposed to look at the mushroom or the house in the back ground. I would have gone in closer to the mushroom and got the background house slightly out of focus.
Second pic, never seen such a thing. Which lens were you using??
Third pic, tell me where you found those mushrooms and I'll be there in no time!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next