Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapungubwe: ADVICE
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:43 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi PJPE :D and a very warm welcome to you.

I would be cautious about Vhembe without a 4x4, the last bit of the drive is very challenging and it could damage the under carriage. I would suggest Leokwe or Limpopo tented camp. Both camps have a lot to offer.

The Limpopo tented camp offfers lovely riverine forest and a spectacular waterhole a few kilometres away.

Leokwe camp is closer to the main attractions such as the confluence and the canopy walk. There is also the highly recommended Mapungubwe hill tour. The accomodation is extremely comfortable and the camp itself is unfenced and relaxing.

Sightings wise, it does not produce as much as Kruger. It used to be a hunting area and the animals are still a bit skittish. It is a spectacular area for its scenery though and well worth visiting.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:10 am 

Hi Everyone,

So we made a booking for the weekend in the Tented Camp, really looking forward to it! We went on a little "test" drive in the park after work one day (just to the picnic spot and back). The park is incredibly beautiful. On our hour an a half drive we must have seen about 40 elephants, some eland, zebra, impala and what I think was Red Hartebees.

I would now just like some extra info on the camp: Do you use the same entrance gate as for Leokwe? Is the camp fenced (hope not :lol: )? Can you buy wood, ice etc in the park? And lastly, any routes/special spots to recommend?

Thanks for all the advice!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi PJPE :D I am so pleased that you enjoyed the Park so much. It really is a gem. Last time I visited I was told that many of the Elephants had gone over to Botwana, as they do occasionaly. It sounds as if they are back 8) .

In terms of provisions, once the new centre is open, there should be more available, but at the moment that is not the case. Take everything that you need. There are no shops. I used the little shop at the petrol station for cold drinks, but they were also low on most things.

I have not yet stayed at the tented camp. It is most definately on my "to do list". Maybe someone can comment more on the facilities. I did look around though and was impressed. Just be very careful about not leaving your provisions where baboons can get them. They have had rather a major problem.

The hide close to the tented camp is probably one of the highlights in terms of sightings. It should attract a lot of animals now that it is dryer. The canopy hide is also a must.

All that I can say is just enjoy this jewel.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:47 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

You need to sign in at reception at the main entrance. There after you take the outside tar road and head to Pontdrift. There is one T-junction where you turn right heading to Pontdrift. Just before reaching Pontdrift there is a road to the right leading in to the western section of the park (Rhodes drift). It is a dirt road. You follow this road through some farms and then in to the park. Shortly after there park entrance (which is not gated) you will find a turn of to your left towards the Limpopo Forest Tented camp.

The camp is not fenced. There is an elephant cable, which is supposed to keep them out.

The whole of Mapungubwe is special. Enjoy!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There is a seperate entrance to LFTC which can be accessed via a very corrugated gravel road called "Den Staat" road .
The recommended route is to return to the main Alldays / Pontdrif road , shortly before the border there are sighnposts to the right to Rhodes Drift / LFTC .

LFTC has a (2 or 3 strand) electric (?) fence to prevent excessive elephant damage - in fact the elephants have to be excluded from major parts of the forest canopy to prevent them denuding the area - the surrounding areas are mostly commercial farmland and human settlements - thus there is little natural vegetation available for elephants outside the park and they would over utilise the riverine vegetation were it not for the fence ...

Edit : Oops , Imberbe - I see we have allmost simultaneously offered more or less the same advice .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:09 am 

:lol: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:08 pm 

Hi Forum,
I have a question concerning access to the park. I understand (also from a recent post, see below) that there is one "offical" gate at the eastern part, but that one can enter the western part also from directly south of Pontdrift via Rhodes Drift. We have one night Mazhou camping and two nights Leokwe. As we come from northern Botswana via Pontdrift it would be a detour of around 70 km if wee need to go first to the eastern gate. We would like to avoid that. The campsite is paid. Can we register and pay the Conservation Fee when we go to Leokwe on the second day?

Thanks
Manfred

------
There is a seperate entrance to LFTC which can be accessed via a very corrugated gravel road called "Den Staat" road .
The recommended route is to return to the main Alldays / Pontdrif road , shortly before the border there are sighnposts to the right to Rhodes Drift / LFTC .

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pollux wrote:
Can we register and pay the Conservation Fee when we go to Leokwe on the second day?

That would definitely make sense in your case, but unfortunately that's not allowed. You will be considered a no-show if you don't check in at reception and driving through the Western Section of the park will also be illegal without paying conservation fees. It's a bit of a nuisance but I would recommend driving to the reception by tar road from Pont Drift and then take the Den Staat road on the way 'back' to the camp site - which is basically already a game drive.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:42 pm 

Hi,

Am going to the Vhembe camp in December but cannot find much info on it. Is the pool still there? Our daughter is 5, is the camp suitable for her?

It is our first time going to the park and my husband wants to do the 4x4 trail. Do we have to book at the gate or is it available while driving?

Cannot wait to get there.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:19 pm 

Vhembe is a magical camp, one of the most special in all of SANParks.

It is however not fenced, and leopard is a possibility. Keep an close eye on your daughter, especially at night. The communal kitchen and braai area is enclosed with a boma, so that should be OK.

The swimming pool is still there, and is :thumbs_up:

The 4x4 trail should be booked at reception, though getting a booking is not a problem at all. Just report there.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 am 

Thank you, cannot wait to go. My husband has been wanting to go to this park for a long time. Think that swimming pool will come in handy in December. And will then definitely keep an eye out for the leopard! 8)

Thanks once again for your help. :D

Michelle

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:12 am 

hey guys

if i stay at the camping site, will i have access to a swimming pool anywhere? where is the nearest pool?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Monkeyberry :D

I have only ever stayed at Leokwa camp. They do have a very beautiful, if somewhat small pool in the camp. I have not seen a pool anywhere else, but I might be wrong there.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:04 pm 

Hi monkeyberry,
Yes the swimming pool is next to number 2 and 3 tents at the LFTC.
It was kept clean whilst we were there.
Enjoy :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:25 pm 

Hi all ,

After 2 short visits to the park, it has become one of a my favorites, a place I immediately start missing as soon as I leave.

I've stayed in Leokwe and LFTC, both are amazing and very different.

I would strongly advise doing the sunset drive. We saw a lot of game (including a leopard!!), but the scenery is already more than enough, and being outside and driving seldom driven roads is just magical.

A

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next