Skip to Content

Spider: Nursery Web

Find, identify & discuss the insects of SANParks
Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Spider: Nursery Web

Unread postby Caracal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:15 am

Seen on the side of the road just north of Van Rhynsdorp on my recent trip to Namaqualand...

This one tried to hijack my bed in the chalet in Namaqua NP...needless to say after I took his photo he was booted right outside...I do not share my bed with flippen things like this! Can anybody give it a name please...the names I came up with at the time were not very polite !!!!!! :evil:

normana53
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Spider ID needed

Unread postby normana53 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:42 pm

This one appears to be a Nursery Web Spider -family Pisauridae. Was it very large? Nursery Web spiders can have a leg span of up to 60mm. Last year while at a private reserve, we had one on the ceiling of our safari tent right above the bed one night. It is very disconcerting to have a large spider above you, even if it is harmless. I tried to get it to move off to an area of the ceiling that was not right above us, but it proved to be quite stubborn. I finally was able to coax it away, all the while my SO was sure I was going to cause it to jump on her while she layed in bed!
Flight Booked,Tamboti, Talamati, Satara and Olifants Trail Booked, can't wait for November 5/11- 18/11

Caracal

Re: Spider ID needed

Unread postby Caracal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Thank you normana53 for your prompt reply.
Yes the second spider was very large..at least 60mm if not more....Aaaaargh !!! It was scary.... :shock: Your SO was brave :clap: ..there is just no ways I would share my bedroom with a spider.

Return to “Insects and other invertebrates”