Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Suefish's 50th Birthday in Kruger - November 2009
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:00 am 

Sorry for the delay in this trip report, I have not been well this year. Finally have a had big operation and at home recovering. No excuse to catch up. Already booked next years trip

Post subject: Re: Sue's 50th Birthday - November 2009
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:04 am 

Just a little background info.

I always dreamt of my 50th birthday in the Kruger. So booked the Guest house in Satara with my family and booked at Bush Braai for the night of Friday 13th Novemeber. It was everything one could wish for.

We flew out from England on the 4th November and spent a few days at Sun City. still love the Pilanesburg. Then left for Kruger on the 12th meeting up with my Son and Friends at Satara later that day. The weather was 42 deg and it still hadn't rained. Went for a swim and it was like bath water. I had never seen the bush so dry.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:14 am 

Thanks for the quick reply. We had a wonderful time and looking forward to sharing the experiences

Yes feeling much better. I have a condition called myasthenia gravis and had it for a few years but very hard to diagnose.

www.mga-charity.org

Since being on the medication I have not felt this well for a couple of years. I had to have an operation to remove my thymus gland which had become a tumor. I still need Radiotherapy to make sure it doesn't return

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:58 am 

Right lets get going. On this trip to the Kruger there a 8 of us. My so Paul, My Mum & Dad on there numerous visit. My son, Ray who lives in the UK with us but has been coming to the Kruger since he was born and now bring his girlfriend, Laura, second visit and his two friends from the UK. Tim & Ben who had never been to Africa. They had gone upto the Kruger a couple of days earlier. Had been staying at Letaba. Meeting us in Satara at 1pm on the 12th

The four of us left Alberton early on the 12th to have breakfast in Dullstrom and then make our way to Orpen gate. Get a call from Ray at the gate saying they were already at Satara. Told him to ask reception if they would let them book into the Stanley and would meet them as soon as.

We didn't stop. It was so hot and we were tired. It was so dry and brown and the Nsemeni dam was empty. we were glad to arrive at Satara. Went to reception. The kids already booked in. Paid our dues and organised to meet the camp manager re the bush braai later

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:02 am 

Mum & Dad booked in ronavel near us on A section. Dropped them off and went to the Stanley. Kids all sleeping. It was so hot

Couldn't believe my eyes when saw the state of the bush, not a piece of grass to be seen, the waterhole very busy.

All decided to go and swim. Not much use it was so warm. Then went to sort the bush braai out. Very organised met with the restaurent manager to discuss drinks etc. To be picked up at 4pm next day. Very exciting.

Had a braai and then to bed. The kids going on am game drive at 03.30 must be mad

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:42 am 

Photo's from the 1st day

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:17 pm 

Day 2 Friday 13th November - My 50th Birthday

Woke up as the kids were leaving for their am drive (03.30) Went to sit outside and watch the sunrise. Already very warm. Joined by my Mum & Dad about 5.30 and opened all my cards. What more can anyone want.

Everyone back by 7.30 not a lot seen on the morning drive. More cards and pressies and then off to Timbaviti picnic site for birthday breakfast.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:18 pm 

My SO cooked a fantastic breakfast on the skottel, bacon,eggs etc. Also had champagne and orange juice. It was fantastic

We started making our way back to Satara when we were stopped by a forum member (had Yellow ribbon). He told us of a lion kill at the waterhole behind the Nsemani dam. So we decided to go there first

We could see 5 lions (more hidden). The dead giraffe on the ground next to the waterhole. We couldn't believe out eyes when we saw a crocodile also eating the giraffe from the other side.

Drove back to camp for an afternoon rest before the evening celebrations

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:50 am 

On the way back to camp, stopped at the dam itself. Little water left

While I was resting from the heat, finally gave in to air conditioning. I forgot how hot it can feel must have been at least 40deg. My SO was sitting watching the waterhole

Finally had to get up to see the elephant. My mum & dad saw him too and came over. We all got ready for the evening and made our way to reception

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:28 am 

Thanks for all your replys

Yes I don't think I have ever seen the park so dry. I couldn't believe my eyes when saw there was no grass around the water hole and to see Nsemeni dam empty. I wondered what would happen if the rains didn't come. The clouds were building every day but the heat was incredible.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:42 pm 

We picked up our driver Mas from reception at 4.30. Drove in the park for 2hours went down the S100, very quiet re animals but was very hot and humid. We arrived at N'wentsi picnic area just before it went dark where dinner and drinks were laid on for us.

These Hippo's were very stressed as no water and very smelly.

The food was fantastic. Chicken, lamb chops, salad, mealie pap, potatoes, garlic bread,etc. followed by puddings. A fantastic meal, the stars were amazing tonight. The waiter very attentive and the drinks were flowing

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:55 am 

Thanks for all your replys. It is certainly worth the money.
Of course the drive back to camp is now a night drive. We go back to Satara via the H6 using the search lights. how the animals eyes light up in the dark. Almost at Satara gate a leopard walked out of the bush and crossed the road in front of us. Mas stopped the vehicle and switched all the lights off. The sky was amazing but the wrong time of the year to see some of the stars.. The end to a perfect day.
We had seen the big 5 and heard the call of the fish eagle. No scares for , Friday 13th was fab. We saw that evening
Hammerkop, grey heron, elephant, giraffe, hippo, waterbuck, impala.
On the night drive.
bushbuck, wilderbeast, fisheagle, impala, francolin, gueanfowl,rhino, hyena, civet, scrub hare,leopard black backed jackal and baboon
Sorry the best pic could get.

A very tired family headed for home. In our bedroom the airconditioner and fan was going but it didn't feel as warm. The fan was switched off, then the aircon and the windows open.

What was changing???????

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: South Africa, Mpumalanga, Middelburg....289km from KNP!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: @ suefish!
Enjoying the read so far :thumbs_up: You were really lucky to spend a birthday with family in the Kruger! :dance:
more please... :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:49 pm 

14th Nov - day 3

We were woken up by a terrific thunderstorm at 4.00am. Still going strong at 5am

The blessed rain that was so deperately needed had arrived with avengeance. a good start but it will have to rain for days to do any amount of good. Sat outside and watched the storm till it went light

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:12 pm 

Decided to put the oxtail on at 06h00 hours so could cook all day. Today going to go up to Oliphants camp.

The road was very quiet. Stopped by yellow ribbon Phalaborwa had 75mm of rain. Had lunch at the restaurant. No Elephants at all, lots of hippo. drove back to Satara. Ray phoned to say lion kill on s100 Mum & Dad went took photos, vultures in the trees, lions asleep, carcass on ground

Last edited by suefish on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next