Skip to Content

Low Maintenance Roads

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: OFF ROAD RUMOURS

Unread postby ndloti » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:44 pm

louis dreyer wrote:My only problem with these roads’ as indicated they are not on the maps so you don’t know where you going or how long it will take you to get there.

Phalaborwa gate supplies a map (with distances ? - I have one at home) - if without distances it is easy to gauge approx travelling times - as far as I remember the longest stretch is from the H14 north westwards to a point on the Letaba slightly east of Shimuwini river - about 18 km each way .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Imax
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: OFF ROAD RUMOURS

Unread postby Imax » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:21 pm

I have traveled quite a way down one of these roads and it was pretty much a two spoor road to the middle of no-where. We helped a bunch of rangers that had got stuck in mud, and in stead of them hiking back 40km in 35C temperatures, they allowed us to use the Landy to get them pulled out.

I was a very nice experience, driving down the road, as well as being able to assist these dedicated people.

But i can honestly say that there was no more to see on this road, than any other road I have been on. It all still boils down to being at the right place at the right time, regardless of the road.

bushbob

Re: Low maintance roads

Unread postby bushbob » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Just wanted to get this discussion going again - am personally very interested in getting off the beaten track and see some place new.

Have a few questions though: Are these roads only around phalaborwa or have there been others created elsewhere? Also is there any map by now with the locations of these roads?

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Bigbob, as far as I know the ones around Phalaborwa are still the only ones available.
One just has to watch out for the marker boards at the entrance to each one, they are clearly marked. :thumbs_up:

Skopsie wrote:One can get a map of these roads at the Phalaborwa Gate. The roads are called Category D roads. According to the map, the total distance is 54km.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Please add your vote in the Website Community Choice Award

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:08 am

Dabchick, there are 7 of these roads close to Phalagat,

Look out for the no entry signs with pictures of a 4x4 on the board. Some real good scenery, animals, etc. :thumbs_up:

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:37 am

Here some pics to help with location/road surface:

Untitled by dinkybird, on Flickr

We found the two routes we did about 15km in from the Phalaborwa gate, one on the south side of the road and one on the north. The one on the south side leads off the S51 (Masorini Loop). The one on the north side of the road leads up to the S131 and one needs to drive along the S131 a bit to turn back onto the low maintenance road leading back to the H9.
Sawubona
Dalene

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:59 am

Dabchick, Sightings on these roads for me, and I have done them over and over again include:

Cheetah 4,5hrs alone :dance:
Lions, with and without kill, many hours Alone. :big_eyes:
Black Rhino
Wild dog Den, twice, one is current. :twisted:
AWC
Mamba
Python
Pangolin
Leopard
Buff
Ellie
General game
Lotsa Birds, some really rare.

So worth every KM. :thumbs_up:

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Rooies » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:24 pm

granny wrote:Would I be able to do these roads in my Suzuki Jimney?

I have read an article in one of the latest off road magazines and they nothing but praise for the Jimney. Its relatively light weight and low range count in its favour.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:40 pm

Granny, you can go on a 2x4 on those roads from what I understand, and looking at what you have, that is 4x4 and has high clearance. From the sign, it seems to me high clearance is most important. You can also see from the pics, they are not badly rutted roads. So go and have an adventure. Just do not do it after rain to be on the safe side. You have a good chance of it still being dry in October.
Sawubona
Dalene

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:05 am

All soft off roader / SUV 's such as Terios , Honda CRv , Nissan X Trail , Toyota RAV etc will easily manage provided there are no washaways / heavy rain , in which case all gravel roads are closed to tourists !
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:14 am

A tip - when you do the routes; make sure you have a lot of time and take your time to savour being 'off the beaten track'. Take a picnic along to enjoy half way at Masorini.
Sawubona
Dalene

Foxy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby Foxy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 pm

We travelled on a few of these low maintenance roads recently around the Phalaborwa area - they great with few other vehicles on them. You do need a 4x4 in some areas.
Thanks Scipio for the info on the one you suggested.

granny

Unread postby granny » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Just to tell you all, did those roads no problem at all. Big problem for sedan vehicle in front of me, where to my horror, all occupants of car were wandering down the road having hit a rock. ( 10 Hyenas not more than 1 k away) Phoned emergency services and they helped them. Oy vey!!!!!

Gilly Mac

Low Maintenance Roads near Phalaborwa

Unread postby Gilly Mac » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi Everyone

Heading up to the Park early next week. We are going to enter through the Phalaborwa gate and then make our way down towards Satara.
Has anyone driven the low maitenance roads around the Phalaborwa Gate recently. Is this a worthwhile exercise - we have driven them before but quite a few years ago and I am wondering if they are still operational after the heavy rains earlier this year.
Looking for your wisdom and guidance

marindadrake

Re: Low Maintenance Roads near Phalaborwa

Unread postby marindadrake » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 pm

We drove the Low Maintenance Roads on the 1st of May this year. The road to the Letaba river should not be missed, a wonderful experience.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”