Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 177  Next
 Post subject: Re: True or False? (RV)
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:36 pm 

Koedoe, I hope I didn't scare you :D . Thanks for trying again, but sorry.........

Dear Bischop, I won't argue with you. (I leave that for the next timeThe first question I noted as false, but I admit I should have let out the word "by"'. A young aardvark can find its own food already at 14 weeks. At six months of age it is also able to dig its own burrows, but it will often remain with the mother until the next mating season and is sexually capable by the season after that. So you were right the first time. With changing one answer you've got it nailed. Image

1. T A young aardvark can find its own food already at 14 weeks. At six months of age it is also able to dig its own burrows, but it will often remain with the mother until the next mating season and is sexually capable by the season after that.

2. F Not a threatened species. The aardvark is listed as Least Concern in the 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. (IUCN 3.1)

3. F Smell and hearing are excellent, whereas the eyesight appears poor

4. F Aardvarks are nocturnal; they eat at night. The 50.000 is true though.

5. T The closest living relatives of the aardvark are the elephant shrews, along with the sirenian, hyraxes, tenrecs and elephants. Together, these animals form the superorder Afrotheria.

6. F If the soil is too hard, aardvarks, despite being speedy, powerful diggers, will move to areas where the digging is easier.

7. F Aardvarks make several burrows sometimes one or two a day especially in the rainy season it allows for more protection from predators if it moves around instead of staying in one place.

8. T

It was great fun reading about this animal. Hope to see one sometime.

Quote:
Just beware of Wikipedia - don't trust that as a scientific resource...

Don't worry I read books as well Image

The stage is yours..........

19 sept Letaba, 20-22 sept Sirheni, 23 sept Olifants, 24-26 sept Amukela (Balule Game Reserve), 27-28 sept Lower Sabie, 29-30 sept Skukuza, 1-2 oct. Shishangeni Camp Shonga , 3 oct. Lower Sabie, 4-5 oct Satara, 6 oct. Letaba

Last edited by Hippo-fan on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hippo-fan your 1st answer is therefor TRUE!!
I have the dental formula as (0.0.3.3/0.0.2.3) = 22

so I'm not aloud to use Wikipedia?????

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:02 pm 

koedoe wrote:
Hippo-fan your 1st answer is therefor TRUE!!
I have the dental formula as (0.0.3.3/0.0.2.3) = 22

so I'm not aloud to use Wikipedia?????

Yes, Koedoe the first answer is true. You are aloud to use Wikipedia, you only shouldn't trust everything that is written there and check other resources as well.

19 sept Letaba, 20-22 sept Sirheni, 23 sept Olifants, 24-26 sept Amukela (Balule Game Reserve), 27-28 sept Lower Sabie, 29-30 sept Skukuza, 1-2 oct. Shishangeni Camp Shonga , 3 oct. Lower Sabie, 4-5 oct Satara, 6 oct. Letaba

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:36 pm 

Don't be so stern with Koedoe H-F :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :naughty: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:41 am 

Ai H-F :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Oops. Apologies. :redface: Was a bit occupied with chess-related matters the last couple of days, including the past weekend. Will post tomorrow or Saturday. Unless someone else has a burning desire to post a question, in which case they're more than welcome to. :tongue:

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:00 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: Let's see if I can concoct something about woodpeckers...

Woodpeckers have several adaptations which assist with them not getting headaches when hammering a tree like that (I just wince when I see a soccer player heading the ball being kicked up-field! :big_eyes: ):

Which of the following are true:

1. A thick bony skull with relatively spongy bone, and cartilage at the base of the lower jawbone that helps to offset the jackhammer blows;
2. Spongy bone that attach the jawbones to the skull. This helps to distribute the shockwave of the blow to the base and rear part of the skull, without jarring the brain;
3. A tongue that, in some woodpeckers, is so long it forks the throat, goes below the base of the jaw, and wraps behind and over the top of the head, where the forks rejoin and insert into the base of the beak. This extraordinary arrangement is a bit like a sling and may help to reduce the shock of each beak-to-tree impact;
4. The ability to peck in a straight line without rotating the head – this apparently reduces the possibility of brain and neck damage.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Marius :D

I've done some reading - don't act so surprised - but it was basically translating words like cerebrospinal into English :? :P

Best I can gather only 2 is incorrect.... but odds are 98/1 I'm right..... any takers?

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:05 am 

Having a hard time with this one but I'll give it a go.

1. True The woodpecker has a thick bony skull with relatively spongy bone, especially at the occiput, and cartilage at the base of the mandible to partially cushion the incessant blows. Inside the skull, there is almost no cerebrospinal fluid in a very small subarachnoid space.

2. True/False Depending on the source......
You mention Spongy bone and I found these options:

- The mandibles are attached to the skull by powerful muscles that contract a millisecond before strike, creating a tight, but cushioned structure at the moment of impact and distributing the force of the impact to the base and posterior aspects of the skull, thus bypassing the brain.

- There's a spongy cushion between the bill and the skull that absorbs the continual pounding. This flexible cartilage allows the entire head to be used as a jackhammer, with repetitive strikes of the bill.

- To absorb the continuous impact of pecking on their brains, woodpeckers have bones between the bill and the skull that are held together by flexible cartilage. That cartilage cushions the blows like the lining in a bicycle helmet.

3. True Image

4. True The woodpecker always ensures that he strikes his target in a dead straight line. This approach avoids placing rotational or sheering stresses on the nerve fibres in the brain. For support, woodpeckers' feet have two toes forward and two backward (except in a species aptly called the three-toed woodpecker), providing a solid base for holding onto the tree. Woodpeckers also have stiff tail feathers that, working with their feet, form something of a tripod.

Great question, Bishop Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:47 pm 

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Had this on my list to respond tonight - after three days... :whistle:

I had also hoped to have more answers. I must admit, when I "assembled" the question I was naughty, just took something and changed some words and posted - didn't research it properly. The original wording looked like this:

1. A thick bony skull with relatively spongy bone, and cartilage at the base of the lower jawbone that helps to offset the jackhammer blows;
2. Strong muscles that attach the jawbones to the skull. A fraction of a second before each impact, these muscles contract to form a tight cushion. This helps to distribute the shockwave of the blow to the base and rear part of the skull, without jarring the brain;
3. A tongue that, in some woodpeckers, is so long it forks the throat, goes below the base of the jaw, and wraps behind and over the top of the head, where the forks rejoin and insert into the base of the beak. This extraordinary arrangement is a bit like a sling and may help to reduce the shock of each beak-to-tree impact;
4. The ability to peck in a straight line without rotating the head – this apparently reduces the possibility of brain and neck damage.

So, 1, 3 and 4 are TRUE. With number 2 I replaced the "Strong muscles" with "Spongy bone" from #1, and took out the second sentence, explaining the purpose of these muscles.

So Tom124, *GASP* actually read something!! :twisted: And he got it right too! Well done Tom.

H-f - you obvously did your homework very well - just a pity for you that Tom go in ahead of you.

And yes, they are interesting little creatures, aren't they? And that tongue! :big_eyes: Thanks for that photo! :thumbs_up:

Tom, you're IT :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well done TOM!! Image Image Image

Post subject: Fact or myth (RV)
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:54 pm 

Location: Vrikin stad ek haat dit!!!!! wil weer trug Nelies toe gaan!!!!
Is it a myth or a fact ...

the bagers imeunsystem is so strong that it can not be killd by a snake??? :huh: 8)

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all - sorry about the delay, selfishly went on holiday.... :twisted:
It is possible to spy this creature in one of the SANParks, or near I should say, and I've been lucky enough to study them professionally for forty years. So here goes... Orca quiz.

1. Orcas have two genetically similar species named after them, the false killer whale and the pygmy killer whale.
2. Orcas have been sighted in every ocean.
3. They are unique in being a dolphin, but having "whale" in their name.
4. They have been known to kill and eat fully-grown blue whales.
5. In relation to body length, they have the second tallest dorsal fin in all cetaceans.
6. They engage in "bubble-netting", unique in south-east Alaska.

Have fun! :D

Post subject: Re: fact or myth (RV)
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hiya WL, great quiz.

A bit of both. They do built up immunity over time, but can be killed.

Various sources state that badgers are immune:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_venom
http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question88597.htm
thewildsource.com/blog/?tag=/honey+badger

And various sources state they are not:

news.softpedia.com/news/Top-7-Snake-Killers-75345.shtm
http://www.carnivoraforum.com/index.cgi ... fic&action
phenomx.com/how-to-be-fearles

And this source states that recent info suggests that they build up immunity over time/that they are partially immune.

http://www.napak.com/honey_badger_II.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 177  Next