Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:45 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Groovy is correct. Have a look at the page about it.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:51 pm 

Just to clarify my statement.

The trail can be done with a 4x2 with diff lock. However Sanparks only allows 4x4 due to impact.

Having done this trail, I would suggest Sanparks maybe look at 4x2 as well, as there is no place on the trail that a 4x2 will cause more 'damage' than a 4x4.

If the trail is wet a 4x4 will have less impact, but so would a diff lock feature. If it is wet the trail is closed anyway.

Not to start a whole debate on this, it is just my opinion.

Post subject: 4X4 TRAILS
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:17 pm 

I am very keen to do one or two of these trails in Dec/Jan. However, I have a very new Prado and would hate for the paintwork to be scratched. Are the trails likely to cause damage or are the roads well cleared of vegetation on both sides? The 4x4 driving part does not worry me.
Which trails are best to start with. We will be winding our way down from Sirheni to Lower Sabie.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:31 pm 

HI 50something.

I did the trail with a Jeep Commander ( similar size to Prado).
I left without any scratches. Must add, I did it in August(late winter) so vegetation was no problem.

Summer might be different. The only thing was the middle man was a bit high and some vegetation growing there can scratch the bottom. The only place that was a "tight" squeeze was between the two trees by the waterhole.

Remember when you do this trail, when getting to the first dam, the road you should follow goes behind it, in other words the way you just came from. The road in front is the one that comes by the same waterhole when you return.

If you are conserned about scratches, maybe use disifix or something similar on the sides of the car.

Just remember this trail will in no way test the 4x4 capabilities of your vehicle.

As you can only book on the day you go, and offices only open at 07H00, I do not know if it will be as good as in winter, due to the gates opening at 04H30 in summer and 06H30 in winter.

Witnessed a cheetah killing a waterbuck where the trail intersects with the S100.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:09 am 

50something - hi :D

We have done the Mananga Trail, and were only able to book it on the morning we wished to do the trail.

We took our brand new Land Cruiser on the Lebombo trail in September this year - it came back sans any scratches. There is something one can paint on vehicles that saves the paint work I believe. (Hope I am not dreaming here!) I asked my SO - and he says he also does not think one is likely to get scratches on the Mananga Trail. It is mostly through open veld.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:36 am 

The booking rule is there for the event of rain. If it rains the trails are closed. And believe me, being there in early August, one does not expect rain, and sure enough we got rain the one day.

I cannot comment on the other trails, have only done Mananga so far. My preference of camps currently limits me to this trail.

Be ready to see loads and loads of animals on this trail. A taste of the numbers we saw is as follows:

1. Giraffe - 30 stopped counting then (one group)
2. Kudu - 20 in one group
3. Zeb 100+
4. Buff 100+
5. Waterbuck Lots of big groups
6. Cheetah 1
7. Lots of eles
8. Not much impis

The day I did the trail, we came across one other vehicle only. Another Jeep as it happened to be. We were alone for 95% of the trail. Took 5 1/2 Hours to complete the 40 odd km's. 15km/h felt like speeding. Stopped in clear places and got out for some cof and bfast. You are allowed to get out on this trail, but subject to certain rules which you receive when you book.

The start of the trail is about 4km north of Satara on the H1-4 and not 11km as stated on the brochure. You then loop to the S100 where you turn right towards S41. Then left on S41 for a km or so and then back on the trail zig zagging back to the S90 close to Mavumbye waterhole where the trail ends.

As you near the S100 there is some very small enclosures on the right, which no one has been able to tell me what it is for. I think there was about 5 of them.

The only place where you must have a 4x4 to pass the trail is when crossing a dry riverbed (I think it is the Mavumbye). They have packed rocks and tied it down with wire to make it easier to cross, but I am sure a normal sedan will struggle or damage something crossing here. But as I said before, no test of capabilities, no need for low range at all. Which is perfectly fine for me.

Hope this wets the tastebuds a bit.

Post subject: Re: Mananga Adventure Trail
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:20 am 

Hawk and I did this adventure trail again and now I am clear on which way to go!!!

When coming to the 'crossway' at the two windmills, keep to the right of the concrete reservoir and take that track to the S100. When upon returning to the same 'crossway' turn right at the windmills and follow the track for a short distance which then leads through the river bed and out onto the last part of the trail.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:20 am 

Hi Riverrat,

We did the trail on the 19th of October. - Brilliant!!! We did not spot another soul for 5 hours - pure bliss to have Kruger all to ourselves.

This is not so much a 4x4 route as a four wheel drive route. Most places a sedan would have coped.
Riverrat wrote:
1. current thickness of vegetation

The veld was extremely dry so visibility was excellent and game spotting easy.

Riverrat wrote:
amount of mud / passability of the water-crossings

The water crossing was no problem as everything was very dry there was no mud at all.

Riverrat wrote:
main focus of bigger game herds at the moment

We saw all the plain animals in abundance ( Giraffe, Impala, Kudu, Zebra ( Huge Herd ) , wildebeest,waterbuck, ) also large amounts of steenboks. a few lone Buffalo's. Many of the herds had babies with them.

The birding was great especially the birds of prey, fish eagles, Bateleur, ground horn bills, koribastad, saddle billed stork, and many of the smaller species.

Large pod of Hippo,Jackals, 2 sightings of Lion, and Rhino , Huge troops of baboons, monkeys,

We were lucky to see all of the big five on the day we did the trail ( elephant just before starting the trail and leopard with her Kill about 10/15 km on the main road to Olifants. )

An absolutely brilliant day. :D :D

Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:47 pm 

We left the tar at 8:15
We were staying at Balule so left early 5:30. On way to Satara saw Hyena, Lion twice, elephant three times, grazers, squirrel so stopped a few times on way. We were the first on the trail.

Riverrat wrote:
what time did you start the trail (go off the tar road)?

Left tar to start trail at 8;15 - left trail to join the gravel road ( last point on trail at 13:52.

Then traveled along the gravel road back to tar.
Slow drive back to Satara book out of trail.

Riverrat wrote:
Did you do multiple circuits?

We only did one circuit, a small back track along the s100 ( cause it is my favorite road ) ( :evil: SO - Says S100 sucks!) :twisted: ( :hmz: every family have their differences!!!!)
It took close to 6 hours.

We stopped often for birds, photos, video, leg stretch, just for fun , waterholes, dams, anything that moved.

New family tradition started - ice cream break on 4x4 trail ( keeping the ice cream frozen till break time - even more fun!!)

Where are you staying?

Balule 22-24 October2013
Tsendze 24-26 October2013
Punda Maria 26-28 October 2013

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey Stark, you should be able to cope without a GPS - the trail is marked and visible for most of the way. If you would feel more comfortable with guides though - just shout any excuse to go to Kruger will be grabbed with both hands! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:58 pm 

I have understood that is why they will not allow you to book the night before - only on the day. As it could rain heavily the night before.

Post subject: Re: Advice on Mananga trail
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:54 pm 

Oops - sorry, I just posted the link, never checked if you'd seen the topic before.

One of the members of the forums was in fact stuck over night on the trail. But I do think it was after some rain, and they got bogged down in the one of the clay areas.

But I think you can do it on your own quite safely. Just take extra water and other emergency provisions for 'just in case'.

In August the bush should be pretty dry. If I can remember correctly there are the odd spots you have to push through bush that could scratch, but rather wait for someone who knows the trail better than I do to comment on that one.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Land R Freelander / Nissan X Trail / Toyota RAV / Honda CRV is permitted -(make sure the Nissan/Toyota is the 4 x 4 type , there is/was a 4 x 2 version as well) .
Also read my posting above - it is at times closed to all vehicles .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: Re: Satara - Mananga 4x4 Route sightings
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi cptphotographer
Maybe this will also help

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:03 pm 

Now I really want to get to do the P/kop trail - thanks for the feedback stelliegp123!

stelliegp123 wrote:
The terrain is 4X4 valley, however, you will be able to do it with 4X2.
I think SANParks will even agree with you but they insist on folk only doing to trails in 4x4's in order to do as little damage to the ecology as possible :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next