Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mammal ID Needed?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:50 pm 

Thanks for the Hiena...ID. feel a bit :redface: just missed the first pic.

Thanks for the warm welcome. These forum topics, stories and comments are so interesting and I just love it.

Take care..

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:26 pm 

Hi everybody! I'm new here.. and I still really didn't get "how and where" to introduce myself to you.... I'm 19 and from Italy... so I hope you don't mind if I make a mistake while writing in the forum :redface:

I have something for you... some days ago I saw this in Orpen Cam ... :mrgreen:

...I even didn't understand how to post my highlights :tongue:

I thought it was a serval....... what do you think?!? help me solve this dilemma :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

madchen -- it looks like a black backed jackal to me :whistle:
but that is just my guess :lol:

And a big welcome to the forums as well :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)
I agree with BB. Jackal :)

FGASA LEVEL 1

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:35 pm 

p@m wrote:
madchen -- it looks like a black backed jackal to me :whistle:
but that is just my guess :lol:

And a big welcome to the forums as well :thumbs_up:

Thank you p@m !! :D

Well I thought it could be a jackal but it seemed to have a strange tail... :hmz:
Maybe it was just because of the shadow that I made a mistake :tongue: :mrgreen:

Anyway I saw in the forum some great pics of rare animals... so maybe it's just because I can't wait to see something "unusual" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:32 pm 

Hi, please check this page. Can you confirm that these are oribi sightings? :pray:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:26 pm 

Hi MichaelWildtuin.

I did answer you on that Fred by here is a quick difference between the antelopes you can confuse it with. Basically there are 4 that people confuse the antelopes with
1. Grey Rhebok
2. Mountain Reedbuck
3. Southern Reedbuck
4. Oribi.

Oribi(with your picture shows, and can be seen by the black tip on the tail)
Oribi grow to around 92–110 cm (36 to 43 inches) in length, with a shoulder height of 50–66 cm (20 to 26 inches) and weigh an average of 12–22 kg (26 to 49 lb). They can run at speeds of up to 40–50 km/h (25–31 mph). In captivity they have a lifespan of up to 14 years.
The back and upper chest is yellow to orange-brown. The chin, throat, chest, belly and rump are white. The tail is short and bushy, the upper side black or dark brown,

Grey ReebokDESCRIPTION:
The thick coat is soft and wooly. The upperparts are greyish brown. The underparts, ring around eyes and white patches on chin & muzzle. A dark, narrow stripe runs down the front of the legs. The tail has a white tip. Grey Rhebok are fast runners, reaching speeds of up to 60km/h.
Horns:Only rams carry horns. they are straight, long, thin & pointed. The horns are partially ridged at the base, with smooth tips. Length: 15-29cm.

Mountain ReedbuckAppearance
A medium-sized, graceful and shy antelope. Rams attain a mass of about 32 Kg and measures 750mm at shoulder. Ewes are smaller at 30 Kg. Fur is predominantly grey, but the head and shoulders are a reddish-brown. It has a fluffy white tail and striking white underparts. Forward curved horns are only found on rams. This species has long narrow ears.

Southern(common) ReedbuckThe Southern Reedbuck, or Common Reedbuck (Redunca arundinum) is an antelope, found in Angola, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique and northern South Africa.
Southern Reedbucks average 85 cm at the shoulder, and weigh around 70 kg. They have grey-brown coats with a white underbelly and black forelegs. Males have ridged horns of around 35 cm, which grow backwards and then curve forwards.Southern Reedbucks live in valley and upland areas, where they eat grasses and reeds. Old Southern Reedbuck males are territorial, living with a single female, which they follow at all times to prevent it having contact with rival males. Females and young males are usually solitary, except in the dry season, when they sometimes form herds of up to twenty individuals out of necessity. They are diurnal, but inactive during the heat of the day.

That was just n Quick description of them all. You can search each by name on Google and just ad image and you will find lot of photos of each. Hope this help you to confirm its Oribi :thumbs_up:

Been More than 3000+ Days in Kruger and counting!!
Have slept more than 350+ night in Kruger and more coming!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:50 pm 

Dirk.V.E. Neethling wrote:
Hi MichaelWildtuin.

I did answer you on that Fred by here is a quick difference between the antelopes you can confuse it with. Basically there are 4 that people confuse the antelopes with
1. Grey Rhebok
2. Mountain Reedbuck
3. Southern Reedbuck
4. Oribi.

Oribi(with your picture shows, and can be seen by the black tip on the tail)
Oribi grow to around 92–110 cm (36 to 43 inches) in length, with a shoulder height of 50–66 cm (20 to 26 inches) and weigh an average of 12–22 kg (26 to 49 lb). They can run at speeds of up to 40–50 km/h (25–31 mph). In captivity they have a lifespan of up to 14 years.
The back and upper chest is yellow to orange-brown. The chin, throat, chest, belly and rump are white. The tail is short and bushy, the upper side black or dark brown,

Grey ReebokDESCRIPTION:
The thick coat is soft and wooly. The upperparts are greyish brown. The underparts, ring around eyes and white patches on chin & muzzle. A dark, narrow stripe runs down the front of the legs. The tail has a white tip. Grey Rhebok are fast runners, reaching speeds of up to 60km/h.
Horns:Only rams carry horns. they are straight, long, thin & pointed. The horns are partially ridged at the base, with smooth tips. Length: 15-29cm.

Mountain ReedbuckAppearance
A medium-sized, graceful and shy antelope. Rams attain a mass of about 32 Kg and measures 750mm at shoulder. Ewes are smaller at 30 Kg. Fur is predominantly grey, but the head and shoulders are a reddish-brown. It has a fluffy white tail and striking white underparts. Forward curved horns are only found on rams. This species has long narrow ears.

Southern(common) ReedbuckThe Southern Reedbuck, or Common Reedbuck (Redunca arundinum) is an antelope, found in Angola, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique and northern South Africa.
Southern Reedbucks average 85 cm at the shoulder, and weigh around 70 kg. They have grey-brown coats with a white underbelly and black forelegs. Males have ridged horns of around 35 cm, which grow backwards and then curve forwards.Southern Reedbucks live in valley and upland areas, where they eat grasses and reeds. Old Southern Reedbuck males are territorial, living with a single female, which they follow at all times to prevent it having contact with rival males. Females and young males are usually solitary, except in the dry season, when they sometimes form herds of up to twenty individuals out of necessity. They are diurnal, but inactive during the heat of the day.

That was just n Quick description of them all. You can search each by name on Google and just ad image and you will find lot of photos of each. Hope this help you to confirm its Oribi :thumbs_up:

Thank you very much! This helped a lot. I do understand better now why it is an oribi.
This means I can put Oribi on my list of animals I have seen :dance:
Now to search for the other three... :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Does anyone know what sort of critter makes these mounds? Seen at Kirstenbosch in October 2008.

Might is be some sort of mole rat?

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:50 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Yes. It would be either the Cape Dune Mole-rat, the Cape Mole-rat or the Common Mole-rat.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Imberbe. I'm assuming that the only way to tell which would be to dig down to the burrow ? :tongue: :wink:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:41 pm 

You assume correctly! :lol:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:46 pm 

I'm having a hard time identifying these carcasses

with the first one I'm confused over the shape of the horns, they neither look like wildebeest nor like hartebeest horns to me

and with the second one it's the ears that irritate me; colour and body look like a wildebeest to me

thanks

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Imberbe wrote:
Yes. It would be either the Cape Dune Mole-rat, the Cape Mole-rat or the Common Mole-rat.

As far as I know , the Cape Dune mole-rat , and the Cape Mole-rat , is one and the same . These mole-rats are huge , much much bigger than the common Mole-rat - and their sand-hills can fill a wheelbarrow . Sometimes they come out of their burrow at night , and many a time have seen one come trotting past me whilst fishing on the beach at night . I must say , suddenly seeing such a " cat-sized " creature running up to you in the dark can be quite scary :big_eyes: :lol:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

okie wrote:
Imberbe wrote:

As far as I know , the Cape Dune mole-rat , and the Cape Mole-rat , is one and the same . These mole-rats are huge , much much bigger than the common Mole-rat - and their sand-hills can fill a wheelbarrow . Sometimes they come out of their burrow at night , and many a time have seen one come trotting past me whilst fishing on the beach at night . I must say , suddenly seeing such a " cat-sized " creature running up to you in the dark can be quite scary :big_eyes: :lol:

I'm pretty sure that the Cape molerat and the Cape dune molerat are NOT the same. Last March I met molerat researchers from the U of Pretoria (they were staying at the farm in Darling where I stay) and they were studying both.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 26  Next