Mapungubwe: CAMPING

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mapungubwe - camping

Unread postby JoelR » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:21 am

The Eastern Section closes at gate time (6h00-18h00 I think). The Western Section doesn't have any boom, but if the section ranger finds you driving around too late, he might present you with a rather embarrasing fine...

It takes about half an hour from Vhembe to the main gate and then another half an hour to Maloutswa. If you want to be at Maloutswa early, you should ask at reception for official permission to leave Vhembe a bit before gate time, so you'll be at the main gate when it opens.

Ecospook

Re: Mapungubwe: CAMPING

Unread postby Ecospook » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi, my parents are going to Mazhou camping site in May. What we want to know is, is there still only one ablusion or did they built one more? I couldn't find any information on a second ablusion building .

besembek

Unread postby besembek » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Was there end March 2010. One toilet for gents, one toilet for ladies with seperate doors. The area between toilets have one door entering into area with two basins, and one shower to the left and one shower to the right. As far as I remember there were no signs at the showers (somebody please correct me if i'm wrong), but the guys tend to stick to the one on the right where the gents toilet is, and the girls to the one on the left where the ladies toilet is (maybe the were marked and i just did not pay attention?). No screen, wall between basins so you could end up brushing teeth next to a person of the opposite sex. Happened to me every time, but that was because the SO and I always strolled up to the ablutions together! Also, no signs of any new building planned. Think they should keep it the way it is as more buildings may spoil the camp. Even though all ten sites were occupied when we were there, there were no major queues for the toilet or shower. Had one guy waiting outside the toilet for me once, during early morning "rush hour". Ablutions kept very clean and tidy by staff.

Fell in love with the place and already looking at doing a weekend in the next few months. Our 14 year old son prefers Mapungubwe and Mazhou above any other park, resort or camp. He also can spend hours every day at Maloutswa.
Mostly Camping

PLANNED 2013
Nothing yet :-(

DONE
Mapungubwe Mar '10 & Sep '10
Kruger Mar-Apr '10 & Nov '11
Augrabies Dec '06
Marakele +/- 8 months in early 90's, Dec '12
+/- 10 X day visits to Kruger ('86-'94)

neilkd

Unread postby neilkd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:43 pm

I was also camping in Mazhou over the Easter weekend and can confirm everything besembek says about the campsite.

It is one of the best sites I have stayed at in South Africa - and we've done a lot of camping. The individual sites are well laid out and the ablution block is kept spotless.

One point, the showers are marked ladies and gents. There is also a wheelchair accessible toilet and shower.

stephan groen

Unread postby stephan groen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:25 pm

Good day all.

Can someone please clear up a comment made earlier that there are not enough braais at Mazhou. Is this still the case?

Thanx
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars."

13-16 June: Mopani

19-21 Sept: Mata Mata
22-23 Sept: Nossob
24-26 Sept: Twee Rivieren

louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby louis dreyer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:27 pm

neilkd wrote:I was also camping in Mazhou over the Easter weekend and can confirm everything besembek says about the campsite.

It is one of the best sites I have stayed at in South Africa - and we've done a lot of camping. The individual sites are well laid out and the ablution block is kept spotless.

One point, the showers are marked ladies and gents. There is also a wheelchair accessible toilet and shower.

Neikd i'm glad to hear that there is a wheelchair toilet and shower at the camp site. My so is in a wheelchair and i'm planning a surprize weekend for her and our 2 kids during November.
Can anybody confirm that this is still the situation.
The camp site grounds is it firm or very sandy, will SO be able to move around with wheelchair or not.
Keep them YR's flying

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

stephan groen

Unread postby stephan groen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:07 pm

Louis, I know this post is a bit too late, but for future reference, the campsite is indeed very suitable for wheelchairs. If it rains the ground will however become a bit muddy. But there are excellent bathroom facilities for the mobility challenged.

We camped there during August last year. A beautiful campsite. Just too bad that there was a large group that was very noisy, singing silly songs in the night at full volume. The problem is that there is no ranger situated at the camp to report this to.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:12 pm

I do think that Mapengubwe is the most wheelchair friendly Park that I have experienced.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby louis dreyer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Thanks for the info.
Was not able to go due to THINGS.!!!!
Keep them YR's flying

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

stephan groen

Unread postby stephan groen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Well Louis, now you know. If you can sort out the "things" you should really pay this park a visit. It is a sublime experience. And the camping is excellent.

louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby louis dreyer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:26 am

Mapungubwe is still on our agenda for this year.
Keep them YR's flying

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

BLK

Unread postby BLK » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Out of interest:Did any visitors recently take Maleria tabs or just use Tabard etc??I'm going there on 19th March and was just wondering what the current thinking is??
Thanks in advance

Bruce

Return to “Northern Parks”