Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Otter Trail - Just the 4 falls
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:24 pm 

Hi,
this is my first post on here. Looks like it's a nice place to find useful informations :clap:
Me and wife will spend some days around the Garden Route but and we're planning to stop at Storms River Mouth and have a walk for a day on our way to Port Elizabeth.
As the time is not enough to have the full Otter Trail, we've found on the Lonely Planet guide that there's a Four Falls Round trail which is the start of the regular Otter Trail as far as I can understand and it takes just some hours. Do you have any information on this and should this be booked as well?

Thanks for your help,
Rinaldo

Post subject: Re: Otter Trail - Just the 4 falls
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Rinaldo, and welcome to the forum!
The walk is a really nice one, and can be done in a few hours (there and back). The end spot is quite nice for a picnic, so take something with you to eat (though it was raining the last time I was there).

You don't need to book for the day walk, just go and do it.

I can also recommend the Salt River Cove walk which is on the Nature's Valley side of the park (I assume its within the national park?)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Josh, are there height differences and how long is "a few hours" (very slow walkers if there is the tiniest of hills :roll: )

Is it along the coast?

Sorry about my bad manners Rinaldo :redface: A warm welcome to the Forum :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It is along the coast. From what I remember, there isn't too much climbing or dropping, though there is a fair amount of boulder hopping/walking on rocks. The last time I did it I was actually surprised at how strenuous it was without a full pack (I did the full trail over 10 years ago). A lot of people do it, so it can't be too hard :) I'm pretty sure you could do it in 4 hours if that's all the time you had, though obviously its more enjoyable if you go slower.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:53 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Anyway, we can always do a piece and turn around whenever..... :lol: Thank you Josh :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

For sure. Am sure you'll be able to do the whole thing, just take it slowly if need be. The waterfall at the end is worth it.

You should also take a day to do Salt River Cove/Mouth near Nature's Valley, though that has a bit of dropping/climbing

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Post subject: otter trail - logistics
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:51 am 

hi,

I was wandering If you can get to the begining of the otter with a car? and if there is a parking place where you can leave your car during the 5 days hike?
and finaly - how usualy hikers get backe to the begining point where they left their car?

thankes in advance!

Post subject: Re: otter trail - logistics
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The trail starts at the end of the Storms River Mouth rest camp, so yes you can drive here.

i say this under correction, but I'm pretty sure you can park your car somewhere at that rest camp.

How you get back from Nature's Valley I'm not sure, but I'm confident someone else will come along and answer. (When I did it, some of our group evacuated halfway through and drove our car to Nature's Valley).

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:46 pm 

thankes:)

another option I concidered is parking at Nature's Valey and find a way to get to the begining of the trail.. I'm not sure which option is better?:)

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:16 pm 

Hi Zeyphod,
I've recently done the Otter and can help you out with the detail.
The Otter does not start at the mouth any longer - it starts at the reception - right inside the entrance to the Tsitsi park.
Opposite from the reception (where you have to pay conservation fees and get your Otter map) is the Otter Room, where you also visit to get a tide table and can watch a video of the Otter. That is the start of the trail.
Parking is right next to the Otter Room. We've parked our car at Nature's Valley - at the Otter parking site - very nice and clean ablution facilities where you can change into your hiking gear - we had overnight at the Storms River the night before the hike.
We got transported from Natures Valley by Natures Valley Guest House - just google them - arrange with Pat Bond - they pick you up at the Otter parking in Natures Valley - very reliable and reasonable tariffs.
If there's anything else you'd like to know, I'll try & answer them.
Enjoy the hike and prepare well!
Andrè

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:58 am 

Yeah, just confirming the trail does commence at the reception nowadays on the opposite side of road. This change actually eliminates a huge stretch of boulder hopping which one would have found when starting at end of the chalets car park. As you know boulder-hopping can make a hiker's life bit of misery so early into hike.So good move by SANPARKS for implementing this change.
My tip would be allow time to watch the DVD in Otter Room - excellent footage and informative. And of course you can get yourself sorted there as well including a shower if you desired!
Re:Car park - Definitely leave vehicle at Natures Valley(NV) if you can.Enquire at reception as we did who may be able to provide information on options. Otherwise NV Guest House may be only one providing service.
Luckily for our group we drove our vehicles there the day before hike only because there were family members remaining at the chalets for rest of week to return the 'drivers' back to Storms River.You can only do it this way if you have a return driver/vehicle. Good luck and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11