SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Afslurpie
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:19 am 
Guru
Guru

Munchkin wrote:
Now a question! Does the matriarch of a group remain so until she dies or is there a "passing on of the baton" so to speak?

It is more like a "passing on of the baton" which occurs gradually. As the matriarch gets very old (around the 60s), she becomes weaker and less mobile. The herd may leave her alone for periods of time as they move on and she moves less and less (her last set of teeth wear down and she cannot feed efficiently and so becomes weaker).

Her oldest daughter may take over as the matriarch or the herd might split into two groups with their own matriarchs (depending on the size of the herd and other social factors). This happens before she dies.

Post subject: Addo Elephant Bulls
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:40 am 

What is the situation with the KNP bulls introduced a few years back to increase the gene pool? Have they fathered any offspring as yet?

Post subject: Re: Addo Elephant Bulls
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:33 pm 

Sorry, Antone, I cann ot answer that- but am also interested to hear a reply from someone who knows. We have seen Skukuza twice, and always he has been alone - but I suppose that doesn't mean he doesn't pay a visit to the rest of the ellies. We saw V Moosa last week at Marion Baree with about 15 other ellies, and have seen him before with others too, so he does seem to be more sociable. Interesting question - I hope someone answers. :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:41 pm 

Skukuza is the easiest, as he only has one large tusk and has a collar fitted. Don't know how to post pics yet (new year's resolution...), sorry :redface:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:53 am 

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:01 am 

Tom124 wrote:
As am I! Elephant park or not, ellies are always fantastic to behold :mrgreen:

The name of Addo "Elephant Park" could be a bit misleading - makes it sound almost like a zoo!!?- never thought of it before :? Just in case there are some people wondering, they are still in the wild and you have no guarantee of seeing them on a trip. I know of a group visiting for the day and not seeing a single elephant - sounds umlikely, but still true! Addo is a great place to view ellies - nice photo JJ. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Avryl - Goodbye!
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:59 am 

Location: Addo - Southern Gate, where elephants left their footprint
:( Sad to hear of the passing of this great Matriarch. May her place in the Addo not be forgotten for a long time.

Can someone confirm that this leaves Afslurpie as the oldest Cow in the Park?

Post subject: Re: Avryl - Goodbye!
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:43 am 

Hey guys, this upset me so much when I heard, where do I find a pic of her, I took so many photos of this old Matriarch in December 2009, I think it might be her.....please help?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:19 pm 

Just heard about this from my neighbour. Although we haven't been to Addo yet it is still very sad! :cry: I would like to see some photos of her.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

That is such sad news...
You have come to the right place Tam...someone is bound to help you here :D

Post subject: Twin baby elephants at Addo
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:35 pm 

Anyone tell me when these twins were born? And their names? :hmz:

We saw them at Addo on 6th March this year.

Link to blog http://elephantseyegarden.blogspot.com/ ... all-5.html

Post subject: Re: Twin baby elephants at Addo
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:32 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Elephants Eye,

Its quite unlikely that these two baby elephants are twins considering the drought in the Addo area. The prolonged drought means that there is less vegetation and poorer quality vegetation available to elephants and this affects their condition. The elephant population growth rate has decreased and there has been an increase in the number of miscarriages because of the poor condition of the female elephants. For twins to survive more than one or two months after birth usually requires the mother elephant to be in excellent condition with access to enough vegetation and water to produce enough milk for two babies.

These two elephant babies could be just associating and playing together. However, there is a chance they could be twins although this has not been confirmed by our rangers or researchers.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:01 pm 

Thank you.

I have put your comment up in a new post.

http://elephantseyegarden.blogspot.com/ ... y-not.html

Hope the drought has improved since we were there in March?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:24 am 
Guru
Guru

Well, we have had two good stints of rain - one at the end of April and one yesterday - but we need much more to really make an impact. of course, it will also take some time for the rainfall to ahve an effect on vegetation quality and quantity.

Post subject: Re: Addo: Elephants
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:57 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I read last night in a book authored by P.H. Capstick that P.J. Pretorius was the man who took up the job of thinning out the Kali or rogue elephants in the Addo district years ago. A job that was reckoned by many a great hunter, including famous Frederick Selous (who got the Selous Game Reserve named after him) to be impossible to achieve.

I did a simple Google search and here is a nice summary of P.J. Pretorius' life:

Quote:
Major P. J. Pretorius, a descendant of the Voortrekker leader, Andries Pretorius, after whom South Africa’s administrative capital was named, was born in the Transvaal in 1876. At the age of 16 his father sent him to be a transport rider in the British South Africa Company. After taking part in the Matabele Wars, he worked on a mine to save money for his own-pioneering expeditions. He left Rhodesia in 1899 and crossed the Zambesi. For the next three years he wandered together with his African servants in the unexplored and game-filled territory known at that time as Zambesia. He writes “I was so lost to the ‘civilized’ world that I never heard of the Boer War until it was all over!”

Pretorius collected ivory and caught wild animals alive for zoos. At one time he traveled in central Africa and hunted with the pygmies.

His life was one of hardships, demanding resilience and independence. A brutal slave trade was still in existence and the tribesmen were suspicious of all intruders. Once Pretorius was almost killed when falsely accused of murdering a chief. The actual culprit was later sentenced to be roasted alive. After a trip to Europe, Pretorius returned to what was then Tanganyika and tried to farm in the Rufiji Delta.

His intimate knowledge of the area and his skills as a tracker were put to good use in World War I when he helped the Royal Navy find and destroy the German battle cruiser Konigsberg. Later he was one of General Smuts’s Scouts during the East African Campaign. He attained the rank of Major at this time and was awarded the C.M.G. and D.S.O.

Even in his mature years Pretorius could not bear to remain settled on his property at Nylstroom, Transvaal. He accepted an invitation to thin out the elephant in the Addo Bush near Port Elizabeth – a task which had been declared impossible by the accomplished elephant hunter, F.C.Selous. Later he made films of wild life.

Pretorius died in November 1945. Two years after his death, Jungle Man, a book compiled from his own notes, was published.

“Living dangerously is twice blessed,” he wrote. “It blesses the moment with elation; it blesses the after-day with warm memories. If a man has trodden unknown trails and landed on lost beaches, when age comes the domestic hearth is a camp-fire where old dramas are relived.”

For starters, both Peter Capstick and I would love to know what the hell P.J. stood for! And then secondly if there is anything that describes P.J.'s adventures during the Addo operation, I would love to read about it here.

Regards
W™

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next