Skip to Content

Wildlife in your garden

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa

Moderator: Crested Val

CurtisDillon
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby CurtisDillon » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:09 pm

We live in a security complex and the apartments are built around a lake. We have resident Egyptian geese and they have just hatched 9 goslings. :lol:

The problem though is the seagulls catch the small ones, so now there are only 8. Most of the time if we are lucky 4 or 5 will make it. :(

It is also amazing to see how territorial the Egyptian goose is. If any other Egyptian goose come to this lake he will chase it for a long time and make a heck of a noise.

Every morning we sit on our porch with :lotsocoffee: and enjoy the lake. There are Guinea Fowl here too.

We also have white ducks on the lake (which I have heard are not indigenous to South Africa). This year they have not been successful in breeding at all. The last ten broods have been taken by cats or seagulls. Not one survived.

Nature conservation said they were going to remove them soon and replace them with indigenous ducks.
Conservation is the lifeblood of nature!

West Coast National Park 22 November 2009

lam
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby lam » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:41 am

This year we have Hadedas and Fork-tailed drongos nesting in our garden.

Our neighbours have weavers and the one poor set of weaver parents are trying very hard to keep a baby cuckoo filled up.

When we first moved to this house, we used to have Cape Sparrows nesting on the one side of the house and House Sparrows on the other. We had doves nesting once as well. Then for a few years we had fiscal shrikes nesting in the garden and they discouraged a lot of other birds.
Kruger - July

Oumie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Oumie » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:36 pm

Well Oumie is out with her "Liewe Heksie" broom, the Rock Pigeons have new chicks :shock: The Crows are flying around the nest, so the broom is being showed to them :evil: :lol:
2 little chicks must think this human is mad :lol:
Reservation made for April and May and June 8)

LittleLeopard
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby LittleLeopard » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:16 pm

CurtisDillon wrote:We have resident Egyptian geese and they have just hatched 9 goslings. :lol:

I love the little black and white Egyptian geese hatchlings and found it amazing how both parents protect the little ones :P I have also watched them from time to time in front of our apartment. They sometimes even "hire" a second mother to help protect. Good idea with all the predators always around :thumbs_up:
KRAZY about KRUGER!!!

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:06 am

Saw the resident thickknee pair chasing a dog lat night. Wow was that hillarious. the lil dog ran for his dear K9 life. I actually saw sparks everytime his paw's hit the tar. :lol:

No things to stuff around with, these thickknees. :shock:
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

EricExSA
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby EricExSA » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:05 pm

Growing up in SA we had a nest of Indian Minors (not sure if that’s the actual name) in our garden. Every time we went out to play they would swoop down on us. My poor dog also got attacked by them and was so scared to go out.
I will retire in KNP
Just because I have a disability does not mean I am disabled.

PAPA SMURF
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby PAPA SMURF » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:12 am

While the SO and i were sitting in the garden having afternoon tea a water mongoose calmly wondered through the garden, had a drink from the dogs water dish and then retraced his steps.
The dogs water dish is also an attraction to a lot of "Karoo Toads" who come to soak some moisture back into their skin every evening. Looks quite comical with all these heads sticking out of the water. The dogs just look at this and wonder inside to the other water dish -- not willing to drink that "polluted" water.
MY get up and go has just got up and gone
Be Positive and Keep Smiling
Terry

Oumie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Oumie » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:51 am

Well my "showing the crow the broom" must have helped :D because the new set (2nd brood) of Rock Pigeons have started their "flying" exercises :lol: They flew for the fist time on Saturday and yesterday they flew around the garden. But they are reluctant to leave the nest permanently :shock:

DvZ
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DvZ » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:26 pm

I want to ask a blone question ................

Does anybody have a clip of the sound a bushbaby makes. Or explain to me the sound they make.

I am convinced we have a pair living in our back yard. Never seen them, but i am convinced it sounds like them.

Others have disagreed with me. Now I wonder..........

Cheers and thanks

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:20 am

DvZ wrote:I want to ask a blone question ................

Does anybody have a clip of the sound a bushbaby makes. Or explain to me the sound they make.

I am convinced we have a pair living in our back yard. Never seen them, but i am convinced it sounds like them.

Others have disagreed with me. Now I wonder..........

Cheers and thanks

DVZ, it does have a series of different sounds. Also depending on which bushbaby you happen to come across. It sounds sometimes like a baby crying but most of the times it is a very shrill and loud tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk.

To lure them out place fruit on long nails nailed into a tree. You will very quickly enough find out if they are around.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Oumie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Oumie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:54 pm

At last the 2 new Rock Pigeons have flown :D
Wonder if the mother is going to lay more eggs :?
If she does it will be her 3rd little "family" she created :D

Penny
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Penny » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:14 pm

I wonder how many of you can boast of a resident genet. We leave on Durban's Berea - a very built up residential area and yet have a genet that regularly visits and in fact has a midden in our roof!! We have even seen it with kittens!
NO BAIL - JAIL AND NO TRADE IN RHINO HORN EVER!
[color=#FF0000]NO TO BUILDING OF HOTELS IN THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK[/color
24 Sept 2015 Hlane, 25-2 Burchells, 2-4 Elephant Plains, 4-7 Satara, 7-9 Pretoriouskop, 9-15 Ngwenya, 16 Hluhluwe
The addiction is fed once again

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Penny wrote:I wonder how many of you can boast of a resident genet.

:shock: :mrgreen:
My best is a hedgehog in summer

bert

Unread postby bert » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:26 pm

Ton & Herma wrote:same here Bert

Poor us
Luckily Nico has much more animals walking through the garden

My best garden sighting was a
Sparrowhawk during winter. In the city in my small garden
Sat on my shed.Was attracted by the doves and gulls fighting over bread laid out by my neighbours. Our meeting took a few seconds, but was awesome

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:25 pm

bert wrote:

My best garden sighting was a
Sparrowhawk during winter.

Last summer I walked into my lounge and through the window I saw a sparrowhawk "jumping" on a blackbird on my front lawn and carrying it away. Pretty amazing sight in suburbia. Judging by the feathers I saw recently in the back garden its still around.

Return to “Chit-Chat”