SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Some advice for a beginner
Unread postPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BushNuts wrote:
JL, I'm guessing the guy who sold you the cheaper model never warned you about the AF issues of your model :naughty: , that sucks.

Nope, I knew this going on. It was more of a price point issue. Have no regrets with the decision (over two years later)

Bushbuddies wrote:
In this thread it became obvious that some Nikon's don't autofocus with all the lenses - and that one should rather buy the ones that do. Anything like that with Canon? Do the sigma lenses also work on all the canons?

No, there are no Canons with that issue. Yes, any Sigma lens with a Canon mount will work with any Canon.

badprop_za wrote:
HI guys,

I am a proud owner of a Nikon D3000. The lack of AF with lenses can be an issue, but I have learnt to cope without it. Some issues that I had with AF is that it would sometimes focus on the wrong thing and I the subject is out of focus. (It could also be lack of skill :redface: )
More likely lack of skill. Try use spot focus or single area focus (check your manual).

badprop_za wrote:
For lenses at this point, it is more important for to have a lense with VR/OS than AF. These days I don't even use AF on my 18-55 kit lens I received with the camera.

I don't agree with you on this, especially at 18-55mm focal lengths. The only reason (in my opinion) you can do this is because the minimum aperture on this lens is so high (and thus much deeper DOF). Try doing it with a 50mm F1.8 etc. Personally I can't manual focus at such small focal lengths.

I'd also like to point out that this autofocus issue is really an issue only when we're talking about long lenses for wildlife (above 300mm). For shooting everything else (potraits, landscape, travel etc) you won't have a problem finding DX lenses that will autofocus with all Nikon (DX) bodies.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal