Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Trogon, Narina
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have become slightly converted as I now have the elusive Narina Trogan on my life list. I saw the bird on the Kingfisher trail in the Wilderness Nat Park while on hols. I will post the pics as soon as they are loaded up.
The reason for being only slightly converted is that the Wilderness Nat Park is not the Kruger and I still have my doubts that the bird can be found in Kruger :lol:
All said and done it is an even more stricking bird in real life. He sat on a branch +- 3m from us and at eye level. I still pinch myself to see if I am dreaming. I always thought I would eventually find the bird high up in a tree with it's back to me. All that remains is to now find it in Kruger :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:24 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

As you know I have turned Kruger upside down and given it a good shake and no Trogan fell out so I am loath to say Kruger albeit a few other people have seen it there.
At Wilderness Nat Park there are two walks that leave from the Ebb & Flow camp site:
1. Giant Kingfisher Trail
2. Half Collared Kigfisher Trail.
Both follow the river up into the hills. The vegetation on both trails is Forest which is prime NT habitat. We were very lucky as half way up we heard the buzz from a huge bee hive and decided to sit a short distance from it and watch. We had been there for no more than 5 mins when the NT flew down and landed almost right next to us. Not too sure if the bee hive was the attraction or if we were just at the right spot at the right time. He seemed very tame and fluttered around us for some time and then took off.
We chatted to some people on the trail and they said that quite a few people had seen them on the two trails so I would say it is a good place to look.
I have also heard the Tsitsikama Nat Park is also a good place although I have never been there. Both Park are quite close and I believe the whole area is a good place to look.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here are two pics of this bird. WTM forget about Kruger Wilderness Nat Park is the place to go.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:47 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Welldone Snoobab!! I have to say that I have walked Wilderness NP open to the bone. I have heard them calling but never saw them. I will however again try and throw the full kitchen sink at Wilderness and Tsitsikama!

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Amazing that such a beautiful bird has such a terrible call. It almost sound like a sick frog. Not what I expected.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great shots snoo,

Unfortunately I've only been through Tsitsi once & it was exactly a year ago, for one of those annoying flying passing through visits. Having not been to Wilderness for almost 16 years now you've got me convinced some trogon seeking down in the beautiful depths of our coast is the order of the day.

- Limpopo Tented Camp 3 to 5 Jan
- Leokwe 6 to 7 Jan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:09 pm 

My one and only sighting of a Narina Trogan was unfortunately definitely not in Kruger but it was so special, I hope noone minds if I tell it here. :redface:

It flew into our lounge in Durban and I was racing the dog around the room to get to it first, managed to capture it before it injured itself and only once I had it in my hands did I realize what I was holding. :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:49 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Alrighty WTM- can you id this bird please?
8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:12 pm 

I was very fortunate to see one or maybe it was two at Dlinza Forest, Eshowe, KZN. No pics though, but the colours were amazing!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nice pics Matt - saw my first one in November last year on the Nibela Peninsula between St Lucia and False Bay. The open Sand Forest allows for easy spotting if you know what to look for. Also saw a pair of African Broadbills in the top of a dead tree. Awesome. There are also Pink-throated Longclaw about 20km from there but we ran out of time.

The Sabie has some very cool birds which use it as a "bird highway" from Moz's lowland coastal bush. Although I think Pafuri is still prime birding territory.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:44 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

while everybody were jostling for prime position at a lion sighting,i was quietly admiring this on the N'watimhiri Causeway.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Seen Narina Trogan just when we started birding in 1992 - we were in Zimbabwe, Chiredzi golf course. We had no idea what it was, but realized a few months later that we actually saw the NT!
Then again saw it in the old Jakkalsbessie camp in 1997. No pictures though, the moment was too big. :shock: Am now on a mission to Pafuri in August to see it again. THEN I will bring the pictures - especially for the :mrgreen: forumites...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:58 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Saw my first NT in October. Heard a couple calling last thursday in Knysna @ Diepwalle.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Saw the Narina Trogan on 8 January (a very rainy, grey morning) on the Thulamila loop just west of Punda Maria. Due to the weather a picture was not possible. But a great sighting!!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Well done Kingfisha!

I caught glimpse of another one in Wilderness NP. They were quite vocal in December.