Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shingwedzi Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:28 am 

Aw wow :P
So lucky. Shingwedzi is just got such a amazing feel. Look out for Roan Antelope and Eland North on the tar towards Punda Marie also at Babala Picnic site first water hole on the way back. Some interesting things on the dirt road to Bateleur. Note especially Leopards and breeding Elephant herds. Red Rocks is spectacular and Silvervis dam always is an interesting stop and WAIT spot. TRUST ME!!!

Have fun
I am only going in September :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shingwedzi is a beautiful camp, with friendly staff. Not a blade of grass in sight, but the trees in the two rings of bungalows are marvelous.

The pool has been acid-washed (or cleaned somehow), that it is a major plus over all the other stained pools in KNP, nicely done, and brilliant on a 36-degC day.

It is now my second favourite camp (after beloved Lower Sabie), yet ironically, we are unlikely to venture back soon, due to distance and dearth of game.

Even the ver(min)vets don't bother anyone... mefinks there aren't enough tommy-tourists around to feed them and kick-start the problem.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Shingwedzi is the Tsonga name for the place "where the sound of metal objects rubbing against each other" rings.

It is place where I have very fond memories of dating back to October 1970, when we met Ben and Quarta Pretorius.

It is place of many Elephants and beautifull birds, a place where the roaring of Lions keeps one awake at night. It is near to where we found 27 Roan Antelope, where the Nyala daintily graze along the river and look upon one with peace in their shiny eyes, where the Impala fawns will be frollicking very soon.

It is the place where the Crocodiles will await their catch at the low water bridge, where you may find two Saddle Bill Storks wallowing in the pools and maybe some White Storks as well.

You will hear the call of AFRICA from the Fish Eagles, you will hear the call of the Kingfishers.

Early morning you will be awakened by the Francolin and the Guinea Fowls, you will breath in the fresh air of AFRICA and you will savour the taste of your early cup of coffee.

Maybe the Leopard will still watch from where perched in the cool of the huge branch of the Sycamore on the opposite side of the river, and possibly wonder what all those inquisitive humans are staring at.

The Buffalo will come and slake their thirst in the cool waters . . ..

Shingwedzi has the shop where the three girls used to sniffle around and then ask Mrs Milne to please keep the item as they are just quickly going to beg for an increased allowance.

Shingwedzi has the restaurant where our in the Jordaan family used to enjoy a buffalo burger and a milk shake in the cool of the fresh smelling thatch. Shingwedzi is the place where ou Jan and myself used to recall our younger days while sipping an ice cold beer mug, filled with a double Bells and soda and cold precious ice, while watching the flames turn to a purple glow.

Shingwedzi is the place where one can be occupied for hours just watching the Yellow Billed Hornbills and the restless Squirrels who may later out of sheer exhaustion just plonk down and stretch out on the cool of the verandah.

Shingwedzi is the place where we for so many years celebrated Christmas, all of us Oupa Dirk (Dear Old Dad), Ouma Sue, Lanette myself and the three girls and later some hangers on of the male sex who became sons in law. Hopefully Elsabe, Alistair, Nicholas and little Danika will also in the future open their Christmas gifts there after Oupa Gerhard had read from Luke 2 from the Great Book, as he had done so many times before.

Shingwedzi is the place where I also imagine hearing the sound of metal object rubbing together.

Shingwedzi is just a wonderful place to be; maybe hot in summer but so rewarding. Oh yes I almost forgot, maybe - just maybe you will also see the White Rhino we found in September 2010 about 2.5 km to the east of the place I mentioned above, along the cool river.

Just go and enjoy this wonderful place and when you also hear the sound of the metal objects, place it in your memory file and when at home and have some leasure time - open the file and it is guaranteed you will start planning your next visit.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

gmlsmit wrote:
Shingwedzi is just a wonderful place to be; maybe hot in summer but so rewarding. Oh yes I almost forgot, maybe - just maybe you will also see the White Rhino we found in September 2010 about 2.5 km to the east of the place I mentioned above, along the cool river.

GML Smit - you may recall that near to the above place the lions roared one night - was it the same night the rhino appeared - and the day you left my friend who arrived to join me for the last night saw them from Kanniedood dam road - they were on the opposite river bank and very close to the "fever tree forest" ....

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:34 pm 

Taken June this year :)

[b]Unforgettable Adventures and Memories . . . . Metsi Metsi - March 2011[/b]
[url]http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=51559[/url]

27.12 - 31.12 (Shingwedzi)
01.01 (Tamboti)
02.01 - 03.01 (L.Sabie)
04.01 - 08.01 (Pretoriuskop)

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:01 pm 

Hi Blouaap: Bush Baptist is correct about the birds. I have got some of my best birding pictures inside Shingwedzi - go to the bushy area just south of the filling station on the road to the swimming pool. There is a bench there in the bush. Sit on it and wait. I got numerous species within a few minutes of sitting still, including some really close up shots where the birds came to me rather than the other way round. Also very good are the thickets one finds on the caravan camp. I have got lots of birds there including my best ever shot of a Puffback. Look out for the woodpeckers (I find them by listening and then following the noise). I take about two hours to do a slow walk of the camp and get marvelous pictures of birds (and squirrels, mice, etc). They are very habituated to movement of people and as long as one moves slowly the birds just go on doing birdy things.
Keep well
Pete

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I stayed in Shingwedzi again in December. It's a great camp for birds, saw a lot of new ones. The staff were friendly and the general area was very beautiful.
This is the view from the restaurant:

This is the view from the bungalow during some rain

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [img]

And the causeway was stunning as always

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Cheetah - drive to Babalala via the Mphongolo loop . And Pafuri picnic spot is about 90 km from Shingwedzi for a great days outing :lol:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
If I am not mistaken, the Kannidood road goes on to Grootvlei, where you can drive along the dam wall.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
While we were in Tsendze in July we took a drive to Shingwedzi one day, we were pleasantly surprised by the day-visitors picnic area. Everything was spotless, the attendants were friendly,helpful and on the ball. We hired a skottel and made a "lekker" breakfast in a really tranquil part of such a busy camp.

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Post subject: PAFURI DAY DRIVE FROM SHINGWEDZI? ADVICE PLEASE
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:15 pm 

I absolutely LOVE the KRUGER. I visited many camps, but mostly to the South of KNP. Now my husband and I decided to explore the Northern areas as well. :D We booked in Shingwedzi and Mopani in December for a week. :dance:

We have always been very fond of the Pafuri area even though I haven't experienced it in real life. So my question is the following: Is it possible to do a whole day's trip to the Pafuri region from Shingwedzi?
We have two children aged 6 AND 11. I don't know if they will be able to handle the long road for a day trip.

Any suggestions? Where is the best place to have breakfast or lunch on this road trip?

Post subject: Re: PAFURI DAY DRIVE FROM SHINGWEDZI? ADVICE PLEASE
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:49 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

It is certainly do-able, and not too difficult at all. If you make sure you have an early start, you could be at the Pafuri picnic spot before it gets too hot and have a brunch there.

I am not totally certain of the distance, but it should not be much more than 3 hours each way.

I am sure some other forumites who know the area better will also advise you :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:14 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

It's roughly 87 kilometers, so Billy is quite correct with the 3 hours. It's another 10 kilometers (each way) to Crooks corner which is a must if you are there anyway. That is one of the best drives in the whole of Kruger.
You'll have to budget time a bit, but on the way back you'll be on tar all the time so you can make some speed.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:31 am 
Guru
Guru

In addition to previous feedback, I would advise that you make a day outing (versus a half day outing), leave at gate opening time (04:30), as said, to be there for breakfast and yes, the Crooks Corner Drive is a must and try and include the Nyala Drive along the western portion of the Luvuvhu, indeed super drives.
Normally by 10:00 or 11:00 it will be nice and hot and I would then return via Punda Maria, which is not really a major detour but offers you a nice break at Punda Camp and kids can take a dive into the pool there.
From there via tar road back to Shingwedzi. Enjoy!

JOEP STEVENS

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Its clear that all the advice you have been given is from those with good knowledge of the area.

Take it easy getting there and really search the open areas around the waterholes on the way up...very often exciting things around.
As mentioned Nyala drive and the bridge is a must.

But without a doubt the drive to Crooke's Corner is fantastic...take it slow and make sure you scan every view point along the river very well...there is fantastic birding with Bee-eaters, Storks and Trumpeter Hornbills and many other specials for the KNP.

THe temp will probably be hot and humid - often around 35-40 in december so make sure your drives around Pafuri are done before breakfast if possible.

Getting back to Shingwedzi is tiring in the heat after an action pack morning around the Pafuri area but you can average about 40-45km/h as the heat means usually little activity going on.

A stop at Babalala (translated to sleeping baby I think, which is quite applicable because its hard to stay awake on the way back :) ) is a must and the Mpongolo Loop is fantastic if youre not too tired!

Keep an eye out for rare antelope on this drive with Tsessebe, Eland and Roan all being exciting posibilities!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next