Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addo: people leaving their cars outside camp/picnic place et
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:37 am 

We just returned from Addo, we loved it but what puzzles us is the amount of people walking around in the wild, have a look at the photographs. In February we had a look a buffalo killed the night before, the lion was 30 meters away behind some vegetation. One chap got out of his car, searching for the lion!!! Of course I had my camera ready but the lion was not hungry anymore, what a pity.

I'm under the impression that the management is not acting against offenders, that's why so many people ignore the rules totally.

Post subject: Re: Addo: people leaving their cars outside camp/picnic place et
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:56 pm 

I've posted several photo's of offenders on this forum. There were no response from N.P. :wall:

A month or so ago I saw a car without a roof, with 4 young guys in, driving around in Addo. I could not believe my eyes.
:roll: :roll: :huh: :huh: :evil: :evil:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:57 pm 

I'm really under the impression that SANParks doesn't care - which is of no surprise to me...

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It must be a bit like skiing outside the slopes, you risk your life and there is a risk that you start an avalanche, but nobody does anything, probably they do not have the law back up, and they send expensive speditions to look for them when they get buried under the snow. How can Sanparks avoid people getting out of their cars? They cannot!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:51 pm 

It is definitely an increasing problem. Knowing some of the SANParks staff it is definitely not a case of them not caring. It is impossible for them to be everywhere to catch the culprits. An effective way to deal with it would be for people to photograph the culprit and immediately report it to the duty ranger or honorary ranger- with photographic evidence. At least in that way they have a chance to try and find the law breaker and take action - which I assure you will. Also do not be afraid to let the offender see you photographing them - they may be annoyed but tough luck.. It is just not acceptable behaviour. :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:06 pm 

Well I think Addo is saved them up, which means if People getting injured or killed Addo will not need to pay a fine. Because the brought up lot Warning Tables etc. I would go so far, that I say every human is responsible for his/he behavior. Means if they got out, avoiding the Warnings then it will be there fault. But one thing makes me very scarry when Predators eating Human flesh they might develop to human eaters, for them we are easy meat. And then it will develop to Problem from Addo.... Difficult Question.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:19 pm 

The easiest way to chase animals away from the roadside is to get out of your car. That is why hunting from a vehicle is unethical.