Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: White Rhino
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:25 pm 
It only took a year or so to change the "hooked-lipped" thread to "black rhino"! :whistle:

Post subject: White Rhino Problem??
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Estimated numbers for White Rhino in the KNP vary considerably. But taking an average of all sources I have come across, it seems that there are a minimum of 8000 White Rhino in the the park. This is great news obviously as this species was on the brink of extinction in the 60's with only a couple of hundred remaining in the Natal area of South Africa.

One can easily see the increase in rhino numbers in the KNP and in the early 90's such a sighting was comparable to seeing leopard or Sable. Nowadays I see them everywhere even all the way up north at Boyela waterhole between Shingwedzi and Punda Maria.

Anyway what I am trying to get at is this: what is the carrying capacity of White Rhino in the KNP?? if one has even been worked out?
And is there a chance that the elephant problem is going to be matched to some extent by their pachyderm counterparts?? Sure rhinos don't impact on the vegetation as much as elephants do but are they going to out compete other herbivores with detrimental results??

If this could be the case, perhaps now is the time to consider management of numbers of this now locally common species before we get to a stage where there are just to many?? :hmz:

This is something that has interested me of late...would love to hear other views on the topic!

Post subject: Re: White Rhino Problem??
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Rhino are actively being managed already. SANParks is the source for many private and provincial reserves where rhino has been re-established in their former range.

A big nature conservation success story. :thumbs_up:

Regarding rhino numberssee HERE.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanx a lot Imberbe :thumbs_up:

Seeing your post on the census is actually what finally got me around to start the topic.
I am sure the SANParks are doing their best to manage their numbers, as was the case with elephants. And even if they are translocating rhinos, I would be surprised if the kept up with the current growth rate.
Maybe this will be a more interesting subject in 10 years time. But I still would love to know what their carrying capacity is and if they would out compete other herbivores.

Either way I am sure management has studied this - it would be interesting to see what they have come up with.
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You are quoting white rhino numbers? A great success story re; nature conservation!.
Though what about the black rhino. To my knowledge this one was even more extinct.
Any info on them O dog. Thanks

H. e

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Promising stuff for sure and a far cry from the scenario not that long ago. Probably still a long way off a maximum carrying capacity within KNP but that would be big thumb suck and not backed up with any facts. WR have always preferred the south by far but it was nice to see them in good numbers right up to Satara area. As for BR, sad to say they will stay a problem mainly I guess because of their fairly strictly solitary nature -------

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey H.e

I am no expert on Black Rhino (or White for that matter) but a couple of things I do know are that the White Rhino was closer to extinction with the last remaining population occurring in the Natal area of South Africa - this was around the 60's. The Black Rhino also got close to extinction but being more widespread it hasn't been as threatened with extinction at any one time as the white. These days Black Rhino are more endangered and certain populations are under real threat throughout Africa.
In terms of Black Rhino numbers in KNP, I have heard thatanywhere between 300-500. Interestingly though, 2 years ago in the Sabi Sands, the odd Black Rhino was seen every few years, mostly close to the southern border with the KNP. In the last year or so there have been quite a few sightings close to the Eastern Border with the KNP showing that if not an increase in number, there seems to be an increase in range.
I know that there are also populations of BR in Addo and MZNP and in Hluhluwe and other Natal Parks there are decent numbers. In Hluhluwe I saw 4 different BR in 10 or so days.
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Could some experts tell us why the WR are doing so well while the BR numbers remains very low. Can it be that BR"s, because of their choice of habitat, are more difficult to count than the WR, and that there maybe more than what the official census has picked up?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:47 pm 

Not an expert ... but.

Remember that Black rhino (1972) was introduced in to KNP much later than white rhino (1960), and I suspect that lower numbers was introduced because there were less animals available to be introduced.

So the population is building from a much lower base than the white rhino, and has had less time to expand.

But what I have heard is that the black rhino is indeed busy expanding their range within KNP, now often being seen in areas where they weren't seen previously.

I also think that your last observation has a lot of merit, since they do keep to more enclosed habitat, where you will often see white rhino standing in open grass lands. But I do not think that this has such a major impact that the numbers will be severely underestimated.

As for suitable habitat. :hmz: Here we would need a real expert. I suspect that with the low numbers of black rhino in KNP this should not yet be a major factor. Maybe the type of plant material that is common in KNP is not ideal (?), but there is more than enough bush for them to keep to.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:54 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Now that you mention it I can vaguely remember something like that Imberbe.
Have seen Br but they seem very skittish and therefore don't stay around very long.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:30 pm 
Hey, o-dog!

Here's a copy of my thumbsuck under "Mammal Census":

White rhino are steadily expanding their range Northwards, and have saturated the South, where excess numbers are being translocated/sold at great speed by SANPARKS, although that avenue will also eventually dry up, and we will be in uncharted territory again...

I suspect they will push each other out of the Park, and kill each other a lot more as territories fill up, or genetic inbreeding may begin to take its toll, as the original gene pool for Kruger white rhino is severely limited!

No-one knows...

The black rhino include genes from both KZN and Kenya, and Zimbabwe, so that may be a positive factor... :hmz:

Although the Blacks are difficult to count, their steady expansion Northward would obviously be a good sign! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Black or White Rhinos
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hello lovely forumites :D

Please can anyone help me identify these two rhino's? I simply cannot tell the difference between white and black rhino...

I have other pics of this first one - if it's not clear. I'm thinking this is most likely white rhino as there were three of them in the group:

This next one has a very square mouth...

Any help would be truly appreciated... thanks! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Rhino with long horn
Unread postPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We saw this rhino with very long horn today . It's a female and was in company of a bull and also a younger rhino , probably her calf . Certainly the longest horn I have seen on a rhino in KNP .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Post subject: Re: Rhino with long horn
Unread postPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:58 pm 

Nice sighting okie!!! :thumbs_up: I am just glad you did not mention where you saw it, I am sure these murderous thugs that poach them would be there in a flash. :naughty:

Post subject: Re: Rhino with long horn
Unread postPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Indeed ! I understand that her movements are being monitored by Sanparks , and hopefully she could be fitted with a tracking collar ? :pray:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next