Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shimuwini Bushveld Camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:28 am 

Shimuweni looks stunning, we've booked there for December 2010 and can't wait. Can anyone tell me if their are ceiling fans or airconditioning available in the chalets? Thanks to all for posting the pics, my SO and I are very excited about visiting this special place.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:51 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
I was there... yesterday :D
there is a fan, a fridge, but a communal freezer is at the entrance
and I didn't remember they stop electricity for the night... or I slept too deeply.... :redface:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:48 pm 

Hi Kingfisha
Thanks for the pics! Did you perhaps get a chance to identify the raptor above the leopard eyeing his grub?
We are thinking of staying in either unit 3 or 4. Which in your opinion has the best view of the water & hopefully also the game?
Cheers

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Paul

Think 4 would be better, we were there a couple of days ago. The units are all in a line along the water, but I think 1,2 & 3 are set further back if memory serves me correctly. I would have been quite happy though with any unit I had there.

Post subject: Shimuwini - What happens with electricity at night?
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Is there electricity at Shimuwini at night or is it switched off? Are there any plug points in bedrooms? Many thanks cause would love to stay at a bushcamp.

Post subject: Re: Shimuwini - What happens with electricity at night?
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:13 am 

There is electricity at Shimuwini at night the only plugpoint we saw was for the fridge in the kitchen none in bedrooms it is a lovely camp.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:18 pm 

As Scary Cat said, there is an outside power point by the fridge so maybe take an adaptor along with you so that you (camera / video ?) and the fridge can use juice during the night.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 am 

Hi,

They don't really like you plugging things into the fridge point, but the ladies in reception are very happy to let you charge anything and everything in the office during the day.

They're very welcoming and friendly.

The generator charges batteries during the day, which run down over night. There is generally enough charge in the batteries to run the fans all or most of the night, ditto the lights if you need them.

The fridges work very well given the sporadic use of the generator. Probably best to leave the fridge plugged in so that when the generator is on it can get its full charge.

Get the maintenance man to show you the tricks re the fridge - there is a plastic container at the bottom with a an overlow pipe that feeds into it. If the container fills up with water you will need to tip it out so the pipe can 'breathe'.

The electricity system at shimuwini is a finely balanced litle ecosystem all of its own, so get to know its strengths and limitations when you arrive and please don't upset it!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:09 pm 

cathyb,

If i remember correctly the boma is closer to units 8 - 10. The map shows it however closer to units 11 - 13, but that is incorrect. I would rather go for unit 14 which is a GC5 cottage.

Post subject: freezers at Shimuwini
Unread postPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:31 pm 

Help! Are there freezers at Shimuwini. I read somewhere that there is a communal freezer. What about in the chalets?

Post subject: Black Mamba at Shimuwini
Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:49 am 

Just a word of warning to always keep your eyes open - this mamba was found lying inside the stoep wall at Shimuwini and was captured and released with great difficulty!Fortunately it was still daylight and nobody cornered him by mistake - and I walk around camp in slipslops looking skywards with my binoculars :cam: ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Black Mamba at Shimuwini
Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:23 am 

Amazing!

It's incredible the grip they get from just a few points of contact.

Great photo

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:27 am 
WOW, what an experience. Look at the strength of that body…lifting itself up like that. 8)
VERY dangerous situation for the staff though :? ….they do not have training to deal with such a dangerous snake, mostly they also do not have the proper equipment to handle a snake …and due to the pressure from tourist they cannot kill it, yet the tourist also want it removed….so thumbs up to the guys who literally put their lives on the line to remove these snakes. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:23 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

These fellows are all over , particularly in the quiet camps , they are just seldom encountered -in general they avoid people as much as we avoid them .
One was often seen over a few years in the area towards the ablution block within Nyalaland wilderness trails camp .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:23 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

That's definetely an adventure you will remember forever :big_eyes: What an impressive animal. I would like to see one myself but not in a camp and with some distance between us...
Well done by the staff :clap: :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next