Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Kruger Memorobilia
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:55 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have my dad's old AA Kruger Map with the yellow Land Rover parked next to a lion on the cover. It was printed in 1977 making it 30 years old this year.
Some of the highlights on the map:
"AA members are urged to set an example to other motorists in the Kruger Park by observing all speed limits and by driving courtously at all times"
At the back of the map you'll find the history of Kruger and other valuable general information such as.
Accomodation tariffs :
Camping for 5 people or less: R2.00 per night
Hut with shower in Letaba: R10.75 for 2 persons per night
Restaurants - Breakfast = R1.85, Lunch = R2.75, Supper =
R3.80 Children under 10 = halfprice.
Even I can now at last afford the above rates

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:19 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Remember those old transfer type stickers for your car windscreen?

I bet most went to the scrap along with the cars!!!!

I kept one (from the Bontebok park - not Kruger) and framed it

(Usain Bolt August 2012)

Post subject: Re: Kruger memorabilia
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:57 pm 

I still have most of my kruger memorabilia, including my old orange rino t-shirt! But for some reason we can never leave the park with-out a feather or two!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:38 pm 

I have 'gold' souvenir coins from most camps in the south, bought in about 2002-2005 (?).
Are these coins still available in Kruger?

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:25 pm 

Not sure if this counts but I was given two almost-oval small plates with a springbok on the front and 'Union National Park South Africa' and "Wedgewood" on the other side.

Unfortunately, one was broken a couple of years ago and I now keep the other one in a show cabinet. I haven't mastered the art of posting photos on the Forum yet so won't be able to show it.

I also have two well worn, v-neck jerseys, one with the Kudu logo and the other with a lion head, with Kruger National Park, sewn underneath. I think they were mens jerseys but I loved wearing them!

I really wish the shops would stock more Kruger Park-specific items. So much of their stock is available anywhere. Having said that, I did buy a lovely T-shirt in September, with 'Kruger Park' and animals on it.

LOWER SABIE - 30th Sept.& 1st/2nd Oct.
OLIFANTS - 3rd/4th Oct.
SATARA - 5th/6th Oct.
SKUKUZA - 7th/8th Oct.
BERG EN DAL - 9th Oct.

Post subject: KNP memories/old skool souvenirs
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:34 am 

Found in drawer at home, from +- 1986

Post subject: Re: Kruger memorabilia / Mauxie
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:49 pm 

Your plate (Wegewood / Springbok) is one of a series of 4. The other plates are elephant, kudu, and gemsbok. They were printed in Bawden Brown. Beer mugs were also made to match the plates. I believe they were first issued in 1949 but I am not sure.

Wedgewood went on to issue commemorative ware named Kruge National Park Plaques starting with 1st series (of 6) being elephant, giraffe, lion, springbok, warthog, and waterbuck. The 2nd series (of 4) were leopard, lioness with cubs, roan antelope, and sable antelope. They also made a de luxe fine bone china edition of the 2nd series limited to 500.

They also made a 1st series of 4, a 2nd series of 4, and a 3rd series of 4 entitled Birds of Southern Africa.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:03 pm 

Wow, I am new to this and I discovered this thread on memorabilia. It is very appropriate that this is about my very first trip as a small child to Kruger in about 1954. My mother bought two plates home and hung them on the “picture rail” in our entrance hall. They were there until my parents died and I inherited them. They were put in the cupboard and forgotten about. Little did I know that in the years that passed just how much Kruger would come to mean to me.

Last year we moved house and I discovered these two plates. They are also Wedgwood Plates. One has a lion on it and the other has a waterbuck. On the back of the plates, there is a map of Kruger National Park with the following inscriptions. “1st Edition of Series of 6. Sponsored and supplied by McLaren Campbell Johannesburg South Africa. Original border by Mrs J Stevenson Hamilton. Centres from Camea Studies by Dick Woolf CP Dr L Beyers. Hand engravings by the Wedgwood School of Engraving. Wedgwood of Etruria and Barlaston Made in England.”

When I found these plates, the memories of my very first visit to the park came flooding back. We camped at Pretoriuskop. We were a group of about five families. The adults slept on the ground under a tarpaulin and the kids slept in the cars. The only lion we saw was the “railway line!!!” Now these plates are pretty special to me.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:10 pm 

I believe that Wedgewood stoped making these plates in about 1972. Anyone have any other information regarding these plates.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:18 pm 

Hi Thebi, You seem to know quite a bit about the Wedgwood plates. I am going to try and attach photos of my plates (first photo attempt). I would appreciate it if you, or anyone else could tell me more about them. These were purchased by my late Mom from Pretoriuskop on my first trip to Kruger in 1954.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:24 am 

Google "Wedgewood Kruger National Park plates" under the results you will find a PDF/Adobe Crobat file" This will provide you with some information.
As i said it is my understanding that production of the plates ceased in 1972.
I have been visiting the KNP since 1962 but I do not recall seeing them for sale.

Your plates are worth R400 to R1 500 (series 1 of 6 warthog). Quite a few have sold recently for R800 to R1 000. It depends on how much the collector wants the plate.
I would advise you not to use the plate mounts that you are using as they can damage the plate. Rather put them in display cabinet on stands.

I think the wedgewood Union National Parks plates are harder to find (together with the beer mugs that were also made to go with the plates).

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
My brother who worked in Kruger got hold of the factory that supplied the material of which the curtains were made for some of the bungalows in Kruger, and ordered a roll. So now I have Kruger pillow sheets and Kruger curtains.

My brother also gave me a set of the old Parks Board epaulettes which I have used to scare anglers without licences at Bloemhof dam.

Post subject: Lion's claw
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:14 am 

I promised to attach a photo of the claw my Grandpa received from a game warden he helped. ( we blieve that it might be from Harry Wolhuter, after his ordeal with the lion attack.) If anyone has any more information I would certainly appreciate it.

Regards

Takhaar

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:19 pm 

I have been going through my collection of 'stuff' I have gathered over the years of visits to SANParks.

Do any of these bring back some memories?

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

KNP licence holders with price or R0.15 (15 cents) , to the left my special KNP long glass with bird pictures , in the centre my National Parks Board 50th Anniversary mini-mug - in it a film cannister with wooden kudu horns on it - in the cannister lion hair from lions on a kill we came accross on a trail - the hair I removed from a thorn tree , and to the right my Shingwedzi glass .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next